Cleaned a silver half too much. How do I make it look natural again?

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I cleaned up a walking half I found and it's a little too shiny for my taste. I want that nice tarnished luster again. Would burying it in the ground be my best option?

That tarnished luster you speak of is long gone, after you clean a coin
there is nothing you can do to restore it. That's why you don't clean them in the first place :)

I Cant remember if I read this on this forum or another, but the results are really good from the pics I saw. Hard boil an egg then remove the yoke. Wait a couple minutes until the egg cools from very hot to warm. Cut up the egg white into a few little pieces, maybe 3 or 4 half by half inch pieces. Put them in a glass jar. Then place the coin in the jar with a couple q-tips separating them, so they don't touch. Place plastic wrap on top with rubber band, and set. Not sure how long, but since its glass you'll be able to see them start tarnishing again. I read where a guy did this with Morgan dollars and the pics looked really good. I'm no expert, but its worth a try I guess.

That's why the best way to clean silver is soak not scrub in soapy water for a few days and rinse in clear water. Yep, the natural luster is gone. You could carry it around for 30 years with other coins and it will start to shine again.

I say bury it, send me the GPS coordinates, and I will check on it for you on a regular basis. Well once anyway.:lol:

Keith

Here ya go!
icon-91551068.jpg

Other products will do it as well.

Thanks everyone. I buried it. If after a month I don't see a difference I'll try the fancy tarnish stuff or the egg trick. Here's the GPS coordinates.

Coordinates: 20°37′58″N 11°12′22″E

Good luck finding it!

Back
Top Bottom