Drones vs Privacy?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
I know some of you are big fans, and they are pretty neat, but how far is too far?

My neighbor across the street got one for Christmas. Apparently it's a "good" one and flies so high you can't even hear it. I'll see him out front across the street looking down at the controls because obviously he has video on it. He usually flies it right over above my house because there are woods behind my alley and I guess if it loses control, he won't damage anything. But it's a little weird, at least to me. I have a privacy fence and really don't care for others being able to see in my backyard when just walking by. This particular situation doesn't bother me really, it's just a little creepy knowing he can see back there but I've nothing to really hide.

What are your thoughts on drones and privacy?

Last edited:
Here's a hunting idea.

Attachments

• faa-investigates-drone-attached-handgun.jpg
    faa-investigates-drone-attached-handgun.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 292
MrNovice, you're just afraid to walk around your own back yard while naked now. :laughing:

Well, like our own Mudpuppy admits, sometimes it is nice to just be able to walk outback and take a whiz off the deck. Gets you back in touch with nature, something just primal about it.

From what I can tell, a Supreme Court case from 1946 governs that anywhere directly above your property up to 83ft is yours. And drones are actually considered "aircraft" protected by the FAA and any interference is punishable by federal laws carrying very stiff penalties pertaining to damage to aircraft or operator. But even with drone shootings, they have never been enforced fully on an individual except for state/county laws of discharging a firearm in a reckles manner, fines and a few small claims courts to recoup damages.

Last edited:
That guy doesn't even know what kind of gun he owns! In the video he says he was carrying his "40 millimeter glock' :lol::lol::lol:

We should have the privacy though ! Shoot it down !!! :grin:

I'm thinking the same thing. I hate to ruin someone's funtoy, but we do have an expected right to privacy up to some point in certain places. Maybe the laws haven't caught up to technology yet? Of course, we can't exactly go around shooting guns up into the air either in populated areas. There has to be balance somewhere.

40 mm would be almost an anti aircraft gun. If he had one of those i think the authorities woud be more interested in that than any drone shooting...

There is a big difference between 40 caliber, which I guess is what this guy owns, and a 40 mm which he said he owned, which would be a 1.57 inch bullet. I know i am just nit picking but I certainly knew the correct caliber of any gun I have owned...

There is a big difference between 40 caliber, which I guess is what this guy owns, and a 40 mm which he said he owned, which would be a 1.57 inch bullet. I know i am just nit picking but I certainly knew the correct caliber of any gun I have owned...

I see what you mean. :laughing: I read your post wrong too. 40mm would be a huge round!

I saw a documentary on this subject back in 2014...Everybody in this one little town out in Colorado got drones and were spying on each other...posting pictures and youtube vids of people in various stages of undress...Then the cops got drones, it was a real disaster! So this privacy topic was discussed by the townspeople..

In the very end, the initial perpetrator, using his Fathers drone, a young boy named Leopold 'butters' Stotch got grounded... :laughing:

I try to use a little common sense regarding them. If one happens to fly over my yard briefly in route to somewhere else I don't think twice about it. Now if it's howering over my yard and appears to be taking a little too much time there it will definately get my attention more and I may start looking for ways to bring it down.

I saw a documentary on this subject back in 2014...Everybody in this one little town out in Colorado got drones and were spying on each other...posting pictures and youtube vids of people in various stages of undress...Then the cops got drones, it was a real disaster! So this privacy topic was discussed by the townspeople..

In the very end, the initial perpetrator, using his Fathers drone, a young boy named Leopold 'butters' Stotch got grounded... :laughing:

No more South Park for you, Mud! I thought that was a real story till I googled the name. :laughing:

No more South Park for you, Mud! I thought that was a real story till I googled the name. :laughing:

Yeah, I know its intended to be a 'kids show', like the Tellytubbies or Mr. Rogers, but even adults can learn some things from it...sort of like the things BugsBunny/DaffyDuck or the Roadrunner taught us about how guns work, the danger of cliffs and ACME products..

The South Park Documentary series addresses some important subjects...All the pertinent topics of the day in short 1/2hr easy to understand cartoon format..Somalian Pirates, SpaceAliens, Terrorists, (ImaginationLand the trilogy) The border wall issue, (Mantiquilla) Or how to start a business even! (The Kissing Club)

This series helps children understand whats going on in the World and dealing with current events in an unvarnished look that the MSM doesnt accurately cover...No subject is off limits! Like the real truth behind 911! (The mystery of the Urinal Deuce)

'Butters' is a frequent character, and like us, an innocent, just trying to get through Life the best he can but often runs afoul of peer group pressure and the evil machinations of a prolific troublemaker/bully named Eric Cartman! Like any good teaching tool, Butters generally suffers the ramifications of his lack of judgement with a stern "grounding" by his Father...

Sometimes Cartman's schemes to trick Butters backfires on him, like in AWESOMO 3000...

So yeah, its a kiddies show documentary series, with some cross spectrum and important underlying advice...."Drugs are bad, M'kay?":laughing:

Last edited:
I know the thought of some stranger looking down on your private area from above sounds a bit unnerving, but as a drone owner myself let me shed a little comfort to your anxiety.

At 80' that drone is not seeing anything but the outline of you property. So rest assured that drone is showing the flying not much more than any aircraft flying over. I have a video I did of my buddy detecting a tot lot. I took the drone to the legal height or 80' and you could hardly tell what you were looking at.

Now, that is not to say that the future may hold cameras with the ability to zoom, but the FAA will interject with laws I'm sure. If they haven't already.

Back
Top Bottom