DIY Garrett AT Coil Protector

DoctorWhy

During this Summer's "trashing and thrashing" through the woods with my AT Pro, I destroyed two Garrett coil protectors for the 'stock' coil. They are certainly good 'insurance' for protecting the coil, but at $15.00 for a replacement, and given how short of a time they last me, I wanted to experiment with a cheaper DIY alternative.

Last night I came up with what might be a potential alternative. Haven't had time to field test it, but thought I'd pass the idea along for comments, thoughts, etc...

In my electronics lab I had a coil of "Spiral Cable Sleeving" (0.6" diameter). This is the material folks use as a organizer for computer and home entertainment system cables. A 20'-25' coil of this material is available on Amazon (and I am sure other audio, computer, and electronic stores) for under $10.

I took an approximately 3' length (unstretched) and spiral-wrapped it around the entire coil with a small overlap where the ends meet. It adds no noticeable weight to the coil and can be easily cut off or unwrapped when worn out. The 20' - 25' length should provide up to seven replacements -- all for under $10 -- and about 5 minutes of time investment.

Under the wrapping, I did include what will hopefully be my last coil cover. I included the cover only because I already had purchased and installed it before I had this "brilliant" idea...

When we next get a day or two above freezing on this windswept island off the coast of Maine, I'll give it a good field test out in the woods.

Cheers,
--Bert

Attachments

• CoilProtector2.jpg
    CoilProtector2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 443
  • CoilProtector1.jpg
    CoilProtector1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 401
In the 5 years I've been detecting I've never broke a coil cover, you must be swinging that thing like Barry Bonds , after the steroids :laughing: nice mod, I would still use a cover though and use the tape as added insurance if you can keep it clean.

Back
Top Bottom