San Fernando Valley

ale11

I'm new to this hobby so I may need a hunting buddy, anyone here from the San Fernando Valley?

Welcome from Salinas, CA. There's a multiple fellows from Los Angeles and southern CA area who chime in on the Kinzli Calif. forum. To get to the main page, you'll have to sign up. Just pick and name and a password. Some great hunters down your way.

Watch out for So. CA jamflicker though. He having psychotic delusions of pulling lots of silver and wheaties from park turf down there. We try to keep him on his med's, but...... to no avail. :laughing:

jamflicker where are you finding all this gold and silver they speak of? you wanna share your location with a fellow Californian ?

jamflicker where are you finding all this gold and silver they speak of? you wanna share your location with a fellow Californian ?

He's hunting old park turf. But I'd venture to say that even if any of the successful So. CA hunters like him, gave out specific names of specific parks they're pulling silver from, it's not a recipe for the next guy to repeat the same thing.

Not sure of your turf-skill levels, but I'll venture to say that the average person can go behind Jamflicker , at his exact same park, and just get clad.

Your best bet, if you want to tackle turf as a form/type of hunting to angle for silver, is to hook up with someone proficient in that arena. Have them flag signals they suspect are about to be a wheatie or silver type deepie. You go over it and listen to what it's sounding like. Watch how they swing, and the specific tones they're trying to isolate. Conversely, see what they're passing, and ask "why?" or "why not?" . After a dozen such signals, the lights will go on :)

And some machines are simply not going to sniff out the deeper silver in parks. While they may be "deeep" machines, yet everything sounds the same. So you have less ability to pass shallow stuff (tabs, clad, etc...) in search of deep stuff. Or some machines go deep, yet everything beyond 7" begins to sound the same (can't cherry pick). So what machine are you swinging ?

Nope, sorry! I spent my first year learning on my own and then as I found spots hooked up with a couple other guys who were also finding silver and we all learned and shared spots from each other. Get out there and have fun and doing research is part of the fun. It is super rewarding when a spot you researched pays off.

just got my first machine today!! didn't get a pricey one, I got the Bounty Hunter Prospector, gonna try it on my back-yard tomorrow, its raining here now so don't wanna go to a park while its raining, is The machine I'm using pretty good? for what I'm looking for? ,which is silver, gold, jewelry and coins?

Good Luck. I already tried that one.

Laxsaltman and ale11, can I give you each a word-to-the-wise ? You can probably imagine that expert billiard players like to play the game with like-skilled billiard players. And Arnold Palmer probably preferred to play golf with like-skilled golfers. And so forth, and so on, throughout hobbies and sports: Persons who fought and clawed their way to be top-of-their-game tend to want to spend their time hunting with those that can reciprocate with the same caliber good spots. And who can "pace" them (the challenge of competition) that is so fun to hunting with buddies. From someone who's going to "pace" them.

That's not to say that someone who's an ace will *never* hunt with someone who's just starting. Or that they'll never give you the time of day. Just saying ... put yourself in THEIR shoes.

I used to get , and accept, requests all the time to help people out, take them to my spots, etc.... And since I love md'ing so much (you don't have to twist my arm to get me out), I would always oblige. But I began to see how it was always ME doing the research and legwork. While these friends would sit around waiting for me to take them to the next "latest greatest" spot. I noticed they weren't doing too much to research and find new spots for us.

Or I'd notice that after a few hunts (where lots of my time and energy was burned trying to get them shown the ropes) that the machine would be in the closet, and they'd lost interest. Huh ? Or they might find something spectacular at one of my sites, but have little respect for how rare and precious it was.

So I developed a calloused attitude over the years: People see show & tell posts with seateds, gold coins, reales, etc.... Then if someone wishes for me to take them to a spot where a reale or seateds, etc... are possible, I make them the following deal: You show me a spot that has this potential, then yes, I'll take you to my spot. NOT just something they see in a history book (leaving me the rest of the time and energy to reconn, try, finish researching etc....), but actual productive site.

I know this sounds circular and un-fair. Ie.: how are you ever supposed to "trade sites" and "arrive in skill", if no one's ever shown you the ropes.... TO BEGIN WITH ??

I was in the same boat 25+ yrs. ago. A guy about an hour from me was rumored to have scores of reales, and about 4 or 5 gold coins. I bumped into him from time to time. Each time suggesting "we ought to get together sometime" or "where are you hunting?" and "how do you do it?" etc... But each time he only gave lip service. He only ever hunted with the same group of 3 or 4 like-skilled hunters, and this elitist bunch never really hunted with anyone else outside their "circle". It sort of p*ssed me off.

Then in the early 1990s, I had done my own research and found a virgin stage stop in another county nearby. It gave up some seateds and an 1880s $20 gold. A few weeks later, I bumped into this elitist hunter again on the beach. In casual chit-chat (which was normally at an arm's length with this guy) I casually mentioned I'd just found a $20, plus this and that. All of the sudden he stopped to listen. And for the first time, he began to talk on a deeper level. He agreed to go along with me on a next trip to my new site.

Eventually we became good detecting buddies, and I THEN learned all his sites, secrets, etc.....

See how that works ? There's got to be some reciprocation. Otherwise it will get dull as a "one-way-street" to those who have paid-their-dues.

I was being facetious. I've hunted with Jamflicker a couple times before. He's REAL good at what he does and I've picked up several pointers. I'm at the stage now where I think I'm past the "curve" of mastering the ETrac,although I'm always game for more instruction.

I'm starting to home in on the deep targets by learning the tones,slowing down the sweep speed along with the SunRay Pro Gold headphones. They all work in unison along with my custom tweaking of the settings. (A combo of Goes4ever,Jamflicker and a few tweaks of my own).

Anyways The better I get the funner IT gets. HH

Jeff. (Laxsaltman)

I was being facetious. I've hunted with Jamflicker a couple times before....

Ah, ok, I didn't know that.

I do know of a few other CA hunters who have gotten to the point where .... on the one hand, they still show & tell their stuff (we all love to share and read a good story afterall!). Yet when they get asked to "take me to your spots" or "tell me how to do it", they are very mum. They will confide in others of the same caliber, but don't volunteer the time/resources/info to total strangers. They just got tired of it I suppose.

I personally do not mind, as I love hunting, and any excuse to get out. But just saying I understand where some others come from, in appearing "elitist".

I get it. Asking an MDer where his honey-holes are is like asking an angler where his favorite spot is.

I don't expect to ever know unless invited. Although there was one day where I stumbled across Jamflicker,Raphis and another feller,John I think his name was, at a well-known hammered park where I still squeeze out an occasional Merc. here and there. And even then Jam was nice enough to suggest where to set my sens. at that particular area of the park before we parted company. I did not ask to "tag along" and did not expect it. They went their way and I went mine.

Antway,Merry Christmas Tom,good talkin' to ya.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Laxaltman, glad you understand (it's just human nature). Re.: the seeming "elite" of the hobby (those hitting the holes -in-one) : You can still oft-times graduate up to know their sites, know their techniques, etc... : As I say, find yourself a good producing spot, and invite them ! You'll find that quite often, that works both ways. They will tend to reciprocate.

Yes I know that's sort of circular (how are you supposed to know good spots, if you're not even at the point in knowing how, or what qualifies, etc.. ?). But with 1000 parks in So. CA that pre-date WWII, certainly you can find one that "puts out". Or find a virgin stage stop that hasn't been clobbered already, etc... Then you will find fellow locals who will be MORE THAN WILLING to be your best friend.

yeah yeah I know it all sounds childish. But it's just human nature. We all only have so much time, energy, and resources. So putting yourself in their shoes, you too would tend to hang out with like-skilled hunters.

Back
Top Bottom