Cleaning Roman Coins (video)

Justinian

Here's a short video to show how I clean my ancient coins.

Here's the coin after a few hours:

New Cons.jpg

and the final coin:

Constantinus two standards.jpg

Wow man you have some major self control and patience to do all that. When I first saw the video I was cringing seeing you scratching at it but then I realized you were using a microscope. Very cool video and finds. Wish we had that kind of history here in the states.

Do I ever use electrolysis? Yes, on rusty iron.
Electrolysis will strip the pataina off bronze coins destroying them forever.

I starting to clean up a new dirty ol' Roman this morning, and it's turning out to be in excellent condition with a very hard patina. It is certainly a Constantine family coin. it remains to be seen if it is Constantine the Great, or his son Constantine II. The reverse is a campgate series, and while it is probably a common one, there are a few campgates that are rare. Fingers crossed for the later. Like the others I am slowly cleaning, these were all found this past spring with the V3i.

New Cons campgate.jpg

The reverse looks to be in good condition too, and I can see some specs of silver from the weak silver covering that was applied to these coins, but has since worn off.

The reverse shows a campgate (watchtower) with two signal beacons.The legend reads PROVIDENTIAE AVGG which translates as "The foresight of the emperors". The exergue reads "ΓSIS" meaning the 3rd (gamma) officina (workshop) of the Siscia (SIS) mint, located in modern day Sisak Croatia. The character "Γ" is the Greek character for 3 - gamma.

“PROVIDENTIAE AVGG”. This translates to “In honor of the foresight of the Emperors”.

New Cons campgate-3.jpg

Actually I have not revealed the last part of the legend which i am assuming here is "AVGG". If, however, it reads "CAESS" then it refers to providence to the the two princes, and thus the coin would be from Constantine's son Constantine II. Once I finish the legend on the reverse, or the obverse I will know. They both made this same coin at the same time.

The campgate motif is one that appears in Roman coinage and continues in some form into later Western European coinage. The campgate motif became popular in Roman coinage in the 4th century, and the photo below is typical of these gates - generally a gate set in a wall/tower surmounted by turrets (or beacons). The surviving gate at Trier (Germany) allows us to see the commonalties between the reality and the coin. The Trier campgate, surviving today, was essentially the entrance to a fortified area and not a part of a transient camp.

Trier-and-the-Porta-Nigra.jpg

Stereo microscope

Great stuff Justinian,

Can you tell us what kind of stereo microscope you use? Magnification power etc? And what type of tools, are they similar to dental instruments?
Also, how are wooden toothpicks vs. metal or plastic for ancient bronze?
Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom