Melbourne, FL

SteveMN

Forum Supporter
I know this is kind of a ways off but I am going to be vacationing in Melbourne, FL toward the end of February 2008 and was wondering if we had any members in or around the area. I plan on hitting the Cocoa Beach quite a bit but was wondering if there were other places to meet up for a water hunt.

It's a bit south for me Steve, but you are going to be in some prime sunken treasure fleet hunting ground! They don't call that area the Treasure Coast for nothing. In 1715, 12 Spanish treasure galleons went down off of the coast in a hurricane. Anywhere in, around and between Sabastian Inlet and Ft. Pierce Inlet is prime area. Just south of Melbourne on A1A is a place called Chucks Steak House (Note: Don't park in Chucks Steak House parking lot unless you're eating there, or you will be towed). Gold and silver coins from the 1715 treasure fleet have been found pretty regularly on the beach there. The entire location is good for gold and silver coin hunting. You'll be there during the winter months also, so the summer sand build up will have been washed away from the beaches. Have a great time!.

Steve, I live in Orlando and hunt Cocoa Beach sometimes. I head up to Daytona Beach sometimes too. I've seen some good finds come out of Daytona, better than Cocoa, but Cocoa is pretty good too. There are lots of MDers in both areas.

FXDiz mentioned something I have yet to do, which is head farther south on the east coast.

I'll be in Florida, the Daytona and Orlando areas.
Our annual two weeks of Soul Restoration.

We leave the frozen tundra and warm the bones.
I look forward to it every year.

I told Santa I want a Water Unit for Christmas.
And, I've been a good boy so far this year.

Guys, your making me excited for Winter already.
Where can I find some more stories on those beaches.

I know this is kind of a ways off but I am going to be vacationing in Melbourne, FL toward the end of February 2008 and was wondering if we had any members in or around the area. I plan on hitting the Cocoa Beach quite a bit but was wondering if there were other places to meet up for a water hunt.

Steve, There is a good chance I will be about 20 miles south of you in Sebastian sometime around the end of Feb also. If I am I will get up with you before then for contact info. A good place to hunt is down around Wabasso, from there to Sebastian inlet.
Earl

Guys, your making me excited for Winter already.
Where can I find some more stories on those beaches.

If you can get a copy of "Hurricane Treasure, 1715 Beach Sites" compiled by Kevin Reilly, Gary T. Rowe and Kevin Maranville, It will give you some info on what is being found and where to find it. It's only 60 or so pages long, but has some good info for that area. Best of luck to you. Here's to hoping you find some Gold!

Thanks everyone for the replies. My computer has been down for awhile and just got it back up and running. When the time gets a little closer I will let everyone know and maybe I can hook up with some of you if it is feasible.

FXDiz thanks for the info on the area!

Back
Top Bottom