Detecting in an old dump?

Did a desert trip last week after researching the area on Historic Aerials of what used to be studio apts. in the 40s and 50s.

Evidently it had become a dumpsite between then and now...:(..

After a 4 hour hunt I ended up with .02, an old brass razor, a few odds and ends and a .05 cent trade token,my first one, and a headache. :lol:

Yes I have. Not too far from you either. What I have found is that there is usually too much trash in the ground and you end up spending all of your time digging balls of rust or some piece of tin. How I like to handle these areas is just start digging and sort through your dirt. If you are interested in old bottles, old marbles, old tokens and who knows whatever else you may find. I have uncovered all of these doing just that. If you search my posts you will see some of the items I have dug up in dumps. If this dump is real dense with discarded items you will do real well. If it is not real dense, it may be hit or miss on how much you find.

Good luck from Littleton.

Dump digging -

I have dug/sifted a ton of dumps over the years and had a lot of success. I dig only those that are along old, preferably abandoned, RR lines. There's all kinds of goodies waiting for those who know what to look for.
Steve in so la

SPRRdisplay.jpg

TH'ing in old dumps -

just dig and sift . the detector will not do any good.:cool:

I'm with Sunrunner.

Pretty difficult due to the volume of conductive targets in among all of the rusting tin and iron. I've had my best luck screening dump piles of old ghost towns. Buttons, marbles, coins, tokens. locks, buckles, bottles, all sorts of household items.

Best of luck -

Rich (Utah)

Curious to know if you hit this place and if you had any luck?

Hey Mr. Mud, yes, I tested the site for a few hours one afternoon. I dug some "text holes" (quite scientific) and came up with a chunk of iron and nothing else. Tons of modern garbage as well, as this area is near the highway. I checked old maps and found out that this was indeed a dump, so I don't know how to proceed. I think the site is a stinker.

If you're ever in need of a detecting buddy, drop me a line. Pretty lonely to detect here in CO. I hunted for around 40 hours this summer and found jut TWO clad Lincolns. I do tons and tons of research on my sites and always come up with nothing, so I'm pretty discouraged at this point. Might just stick to coin shows and reading about other peoples' finds!

Back
Top Bottom