The Key Date V Nickel project...

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
...WARNING! This post shows disturbing images of coin cleaning, rubbing, polishing and all kinds of forbidden acts! :laughing: Anyway, I posted last weekend about my most recent hunt at my buddy's old house where I picked up a couple nice Indian heads and an 1886 key date V Nickel this trip there. It's been hot and my sugar has been a mess so I stayed in this morning and worked on the little display I'm planning for the finds from this great site. Decided that despite what the coin gods may say, I was cleaning up the V Nickel so it will at least show nice in the collection, value be damned! Since the coin was in the ground and took it badly, I wasn't worried about it having any value so my goal was too make it look as presentable as possible while losing as little detail as possible. I don't condone the cleaning of any possibly valuable coins! The first pics are of how it was shortly after coming out of the ground, and how it looked when I put it in a keeper and into the album. At this point I had rubbed it with my fingers and olive oil.

keepers.jpg

86Vfront.jpg

86Vback.jpg

outofkeeperfront.jpg

outofkeeperback.jpg

Showed it to a couple people in this condition and got the big "meh". The next set are after some finger rubbing with a baking soda paste. It's making progress, but we need to get a little more abrasion at this point. I use a squirt of Gojo pumice hand cleaner for tumbling clad and it works well, so I put a little in my hand and rubbed for a little. Saw good results. I changed over to a wet rag and buffed out with my finger until I saw what I wanted as far as cleanliness/detail loss. I don't want to use any chemical etching such as vinegar or anything on this coin so I can control how much wear it takes and avoid pitting. I learned this after working on some other nickels.

gojofront.jpg

gojoback.jpg

gojorag.jpg

It definitely shows that it's cleaned but it also presents much better. So if I was cleaning anything else metal up I'd use polishing compound next. So I did. Cleaned up a little more, which I didn't really want, but it did provide a more even look, which I did want. Washed it off at this point and put on a little paraffin wax. It's waayyy too shiny, but I'll leave it out of the keeper for a couple weeks and handle it every day a couple of times, imparting a little dirt, body oils and dust. After this routine it will look like a heavily worn nickel...still. :D

polishfont.jpg

polishback.jpg

finishfront.jpg

finishback.jpg

Thanks for looking. Crucify me if you want. LOL. Remember though, these old nickels are pretty tough and I don't feel like I've lost much detail on this coin, at least not to the naked eye. Let me know what you think of it so far. I'll put up pics after it "ages" a little. Good luck and HH!

Last edited:
Looks good to me...no real value to destroy in the condition that it was in...I think the true value is in the eye of the beholder, we are not normally digging great condition coins anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks good to me...no real value to destroy in the condition that it was in...I think the true value is in the eye of the beholder, we are not normally digging great condition coins anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah, it's going to show well next to the other keepers from the best spot I've ever been on. After looking at the condition of some of these particular coins on the feebay, this could have actually brought it up to a sellable coin if one was interested in such a thing :grin: It looks harsh right now, but I think handling it a bit will bring it around. HH!

Wow that V came out looking phenomenal! Will try that on future specimens. Never uses gojo on coins or in my tumbler either, gunna have to pick some up, thanks for sharing!

Coin looks good!

Wow that V came out looking phenomenal! Will try that on future specimens. Never uses gojo on coins or in my tumbler either, gunna have to pick some up, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy overall. It's smoothing out a little after getting all but the tiniest bit of the wax off and handling it a bit. Been running a decent shot from the squirt bottle pumice hand cleaner with a little shot of vinegar and enough water to turn it into a slurry in my inkjet tumbler for a couple years now. Really cleans up some clad overnight. Good luck and HH!

Back
Top Bottom