No Internet - Hotspot extenders?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Hey guys! Just got a house in very rural amish country but we realized we have NO INTERNET options at the house.

We have Verizon cell service on our iPhones and I have an iMac in the basement that I would like to try and get tapped in to our mobile hotspot through the phone. The problem is we don't get service in the basement on teh phones.

Does anyone know what I would need to get service on the iMac? Do they make some sort of hotspot extender? For instance to be able to keep my phone upstairs and boost the signal in the basement for the computer somehow? I don't know the cellular terminology to know what to google. Everything I see is basically buying hotspot devices, but I already have one (my phone).

Any input is appreciated!

Hey guys! Just got a house in very rural amish country but we realized we have NO INTERNET options at the house.

We have Verizon cell service on our iPhones and I have an iMac in the basement that I would like to try and get tapped in to our mobile hotspot through the phone. The problem is we don't get service in the basement on teh phones.

Does anyone know what I would need to get service on the iMac? Do they make some sort of hotspot extender? For instance to be able to keep my phone upstairs and boost the signal in the basement for the computer somehow? I don't know the cellular terminology to know what to google. Everything I see is basically buying hotspot devices, but I already have one (my phone).

Any input is appreciated!

I live rural and had to buy a cellphone booster
I use Weboost but it is a little pricey $249
but it was a necessity for me.

I am pretty sure if you call Verizon the sell something similar

or

Go Satellite like Exceed Internet it is a decent option but once again monthly fees are around $80 a month

I live rural and had to buy a cellphone booster
I use Weboost but it is a little pricey $249
but it was a necessity for me.

I am pretty sure if you call Verizon the sell something similar

or

Go Satellite like Exceed Internet it is a decent option but once again monthly fees are around $80 a month

So, Verizon has mobile hotspots, but the issue is that I already have a hotspot on the phone I can use. I need to some how boost the signal from my phone because I don't get service in the basement. I assume Weboost you pay just once for the device to boost the signal? At 249 it may be the best option.

We did look in to exede satellite (aka, viasat) and you're right, they're expensive. And have data caps for the new plans that I can't justify spending. Unfortunately, my line of work (TV/Film) requires me to upload video content and each project could be close to or over 100gb of raw video materials.

At the moment, I just need to connect temporarily to keep my cloud software activated once every 30-90 days so I just need a minimal service connection.

So, Verizon has mobile hotspots, but the issue is that I already have a hotspot on the phone I can use. I need to some how boost the signal from my phone because I don't get service in the basement. I assume Weboost you pay just once for the device to boost the signal? At 249 it may be the best option.

We did look in to exede satellite (aka, viasat) and you're right, they're expensive. And have data caps for the new plans that I can't justify spending. Unfortunately, my line of work (TV/Film) requires me to upload video content and each project could be close to or over 100gb of raw video materials.

At the moment, I just need to connect temporarily to keep my cloud software activated once every 30-90 days so I just need a minimal service connection.

Yes the Weboost is a one time charge and works pretty decent especially if you get pretty decent reception "Upstairs"
You have unlimited data on the Phone or do they throttle that back at 15gb or whatever?

IF you get good reception upstairs what happens if you put your phone by the basement door and turn on your Mobile Tethering? does this work?

The Netgear WiFi extender I was installing in residences costs $35. First, you must make sure your pc/device can hotspot off your phone (with some services you cannot tether devices).

I would do whatever it took to avoid Verizon. I have a nightmare thread on here from the BS I went through with them not long ago. It never ends

I have terrible speed, and recently couldn't even access the internet reliably for a week and a half, or pages just wouldn't load.

I sent them a message telling them the next time that happened, I'd stop paying my Bill, and they could kill my service. Contract or no Contract, if they think they're holding me to it and providing me crappy service, I told them they could think again.

The fact they refuse to spend their money to update their overloaded towers isn't my problem. What is my problem if paying 100% of my Bill on time, for 60% service. If they want to provide 60%, that's what I should be Billed for.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-05-31 at 8.09.49 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-05-31 at 8.09.49 PM.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 104
I would do whatever it took to avoid Verizon. I have a nightmare thread on here from the BS I went through with them not long ago. It never ends

I have terrible speed, and recently couldn't even access the internet reliably for a week and a half, or pages just wouldn't load.

I sent them a message telling them the next time that happened, I'd stop paying my Bill, and they could kill my service. Contract or no Contract, if they think they're holding me to it and providing me crappy service, I told them they could think again.

The fact they refuse to spend their money to update their overloaded towers isn't my problem. What is my problem if paying 100% of my Bill on time, for 60% service. If they want to provide 60%, that's what I should be Billed for.
My friend, switch to ATT. I’m getting 20 meg down, 20 meg up, cellular, reliably.

My friend, switch to ATT. I’m getting 20 meg down, 20 meg up, cellular, reliably.

Odd thing is, I'd always had better cell reception here with Vz, and actually switched from ATT. That's voice, not data though. I'm 5 miles from a Vz tower.

There are ATT phone lines 20' in front of my property, so one would thing DSL would me an option? Nope.:roll:

Neighbors got satellite internet, I'm going to go check it out sometime, and see how well they like it, once they've had the chance to use it a while.

Yesterday

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-26 at 12.51.47 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-06-26 at 12.51.47 PM.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 72
Odd thing is, I'd always had better cell reception here with Vz, and actually switched from ATT. That's voice, not data though. I'm 5 miles from a Vz tower.

There are ATT phone lines 20' in front of my property, so one would thing DSL would me an option? Nope.:roll:

Neighbors got satellite internet, I'm going to go check it out sometime, and see how well they like it, once they've had the chance to use it a while.

Yesterday

I had Satellite for awhile before DSL and it worked pretty good for Internet by itself.. However I NEED to use VPN form my Work and Satellite Does NOT work well with VPN so I had to scrap it once DSL came through.
My wife however was able to play all her "stupid" games on the Satellite no problem.

I had a problem with the house I am in where the reception was very poor inside so we had to go outside to even make a call. Verizon sent us a booster for free that cleared up the problem well. Maybe this could solve your problem ?

Phone lines in front of the house is ok for pots lines. The limiting factor is the wire loop length distance/attenuation back to the central office. Typically, 15kft is the max length for DSL, and that will get you about 3Mbps.

I had Satellite for awhile before DSL and it worked pretty good for Internet by itself.. However I NEED to use VPN form my Work and Satellite Does NOT work well with VPN so I had to scrap it once DSL came through.
My wife however was able to play all her "stupid" games on the Satellite no problem.
Until you try to stream Netflix during prime time. T-H-R-O-T-T-L-E. (Fair use policy)...Lots of skeletons in that closet.

Back
Top Bottom