Texas Revolution Bullet

CJ319

Forum Supporter
I recently got permission to dig a known battlefield from the Texas Revolution. I found this bullet but have been having a hard time with identification. I've been on quite a few sites over the last couple of hours and I'm still clueless. A lot of "minie ball" comes up when looking for three ringers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The bullet is 1.10in/27.9mm long and .45in/11.7mm in diameter at the base.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 288
While I cannot identify your bullet exactly, I can say with some certainty that it is newer than the conflict you mentioned. Such bullets really weren't around that early.

Thanks for the replies. I had hoped to narrow it down to that time frame, but who knows.

I have owned, shot, loaded for and cast bullets for several .45-70 Trapdoor Springfields over the years, and that sure looks like a standard grease-groove .45-70 bullet to me. The government developed this round in 1873, and it was still in service as late as the Spanish American War.

I have owned, shot, loaded for and cast bullets for several .45-70 Trapdoor Springfields over the years, and that sure looks like a standard grease-groove .45-70 bullet to me. The government developed this round in 1873, and it was still in service as late as the Spanish American War.

Thanks Oldbill!

Back
Top Bottom