Recently burned house

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
So an apartment complex in my area recently had a severe fire, it's still standing but it's boarded up and vacant. It's smack dab in the middle of an late 1800's mill town and has a HUGE yard. It's righ off a busy street. Do people generally just hunt these properties? I've done a few abandoned yards with little success but I'm sure somebody must own this property? Just don't want to go against our code. Thanks!

The property is owned by someone, regardless of damage to the building. That that building is abandoned does not mean the property is without an owner. Could be a private person, the bank, the city or whatever. My 2 cents.

I have no idea and just speculating but i'd make sure you're even legally allowed anywhere near it due to fire code. I'd imagine they wouldn't want the public going anywhere near a building that's about to fall over. Risk of a lawsuit is too high. I probably wouldn't hold high hopes for that place while it's still standing.

What I'd suggest is track down the owner an discuss detecting the property once the building has been demo'd. Offer to sign an insurance waiver too.

I once hunted a burned house like that. Burned beyond ability to repair, so I'm assuming the insurance took it over. So it sat for months and months. I suppose *technically* I'd have had to have contacted the insurance company. Who is no doubt out of state somewhere. And ... . would just have been lost in bureaucracy at some giant phone-bank hierarchy system.

I got a nice 1909 S wheat (no vdb durnit :))

Back
Top Bottom