So I have been searching around the area that I found my first Silver coin

Hi HO Silver!

Hi everyone I have been having trouble find any more coins around the area I found my silver war nickel I get the occasional signal and then I can't find it nothing really repeatable it makes no sense to me that there aren't any more coins around where I found it should I max sensitivity or? I would like to know your opinion on the matter! :grin:
Happy hunting!

Hi everyone I have been having trouble find any more coins around the area I found my silver war nickel I get the occasional signal and then I can't find it nothing really repeatable it makes no sense to me that there aren't any more coins around where I found it should I max sensitivity or? I would like to know your opinion on the matter! :grin:
Happy hunting!

I would go as high on sensitivity as your machine can handle without going berserk..

what machine are you swinging?

on a side not HO HO you haven't been here long and wanted to tell you that I do appreciate the fact you are engaging in the conversations and starting your own.. a lot of newbies tend to just lurk and do the occasional "welcome aboard".. you are more outgoing and a lot of people can appreciate that so keep it up buddy !!

Best way to learn is dig all signals till you know and watch videos on you tube might help

I would go as high on sensitivity as your machine can handle without going berserk..

what machine are you swinging?

on a side not HO HO you haven't been here long and wanted to tell you that I do appreciate the fact you are engaging in the conversations and starting your own.. a lot of newbies tend to just lurk and do the occasional "welcome aboard".. you are more outgoing and a lot of people can appreciate that so keep it up buddy !!

Thank you, I really appreciate you saying that, I like that you and most of this amazing community have been so welcoming and informative I am learning something new every day and find myself getting better at metal detecting every day as well!

Thanks for the tip on the sesitivity I will max it out!
I am swinging a White's Coinmaster I love using it and it handles high sesitivity well! I just haven't know whether I should turn it up! I will try hunting with max sesitivity I am hunting my family farm that goes back to the 1890s lots of history just need to find the best place that coins were lost it, has an old barn, celler, two original sheds, and I also know where the original carriage House used to be I have been searching the walkway that led to it, that's how I found the war nickel, out of all of the buildings listed do you have any that you highly recommend hunting around?

Happy hunting! :grin:

Best way to learn is dig all signals till you know and watch videos on you tube might help

Yeah something I always end up doing I can never pass up knowing I could be passing up the find of lifetime... most often an old ball Mason jar lid! They sound like the perfect quarter signal at times! :laughing:

Happy hunting!

It is possible there are no other coins near where you found the war nickle.

I have been detecting an old abandoned farm, build in early 1800's, and have found four buff nickles, 3 IHP and 1 Barber quarter. None were where I expected or near each other.
Just keep expanding the search area and its a good idea to dig the iron junk as this can mask coins. A buff, IHP & the quarter were found in the same hole as iron, nails and a horse shoe and I would not have found them if I didn't dig the iron.

After you have 'cleared' an area go back with higher sensitivity and approach from a different direction. I have done this in my yard and found more coins when I thought I had gotten everything.

Last, have fun.

Yeah something I always end up doing I can never pass up knowing I could be passing up the find of lifetime... most often an old ball Mason jar lid! They sound like the perfect quarter signal at times! :laughing:

Man don't they though!!! Something else that gets me from time to time is a square nail. It gives a good iffy high tone. I start digging my plug thinking......man this could be a deep silver!!! Nope just a square nail!!!

Man don't they though!!! Something else that gets me from time to time is a square nail. It gives a good iffy high tone. I start digging my plug thinking......man this could be a deep silver!!! Nope just a square nail!!!

+ 1 on the square nails.. they get me OFTEN.

HO HO
I would also try searching the house parameter and if you can find out where it was .. Look for a place they would of used an old clothesline.
also look around any good shade trees.

Happy hunting!

Hi Ho,

I asked the almost same exact question 2 years ago when I first started. Here is what I asked....

This might be a dumb question but I have to ask it. I recently got permission to hunt an old homested. It has all the original buildings and for the most part the property has been in a time capsule. It originates from the pre-gold rush era and had the miners black smith shop, among other things. Long story short is I'm finding plenty of trash but what are the odds there are no coins on the property? I have been finding modern coins from the 60's and 70's. But maybe no old coins ever got dropped? Anybody hunt a great site that was dry?

Since then I have found about 20 older coins and many good relics. Guess what? All the good stuff wasn’t in the yard around the main house. It was out in the orchard field. The hunting is tedious and slow in a massive iron patch. My buddy and I have found 3 early 1800’s coins including 2 silvers and a foreign large cent. The rest were a variety of 1940-60’s coins. The relics have been very good too. What I learned about the site was it has an existing structure that burned prior to the ones there now. A lot of hours of finding nothing were spent there before I learned where the goodies were. Just keep going out and slow way down in heavy iron patches. That Whites is a good machine and will find you plenty of goodies. I bet 2 years from now you will have many more coins from your site.

Deus Rules!!

+ 1 on the square nails.. they get me OFTEN.

HO HO
I would also try searching the house parameter and if you can find out where it was .. Look for a place they would of used an old clothesline.
also look around any good shade trees.

Will do! I've been tricked by a square nail in the same hole as the nickel seriously thought it was an silver Merc nope! :laughing:

Hi Ho,

I asked the almost same exact question 2 years ago when I first started. Here is what I asked....

Since then I have found about 20 older coins and many good relics. Guess what? All the good stuff wasn’t in the yard around the main house. It was out in the orchard field. The hunting is tedious and slow in a massive iron patch. My buddy and I have found 3 early 1800’s coins including 2 silvers and a foreign large cent. The rest were a variety of 1940-60’s coins. The relics have been very good too. What I learned about the site was it has an existing structure that burned prior to the ones there now. A lot of hours of finding nothing were spent there before I learned where the goodies were. Just keep going out and slow way down in heavy iron patches. That Whites is a good machine and will find you plenty of goodies. I bet 2 years from now you will have many more coins from your site.

Deus Rules!!

Wow that's awesome in a more tucked away part of the property there is an old old peach tree I'll try there! Thanks for the advice! :grin:
Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom