2011 FMDF Diggin' It With Friends Treasure Hunt

Kansas Dave

Diggin' It With Friends
Forum Supporter
The K & M Discovery Team would like to invite any and all forum members out to our 3rd annual FMDF Diggin' It With Friends Treasure Hunt being held at Huntress Park in Clay Center, Kansas. The hunt is Saturday, April 09th. We are meeting in the Park at 7:00am rain or shine.
We do not charge an entry fee or sell tickets to raffle off the prizes and this is not a seeded event. However we will be giving away a few prizes after the hunt and possibly having a bbq/picnic. Bring your spouses, your children or your best hunting bud, everybody is welcome to attend our event! If you are interested in meeting and socializing, not to mention hunting with other FMDF forum members and having a great time. Make your plans now to attend this hunt. We are looking forward to seeing you there. It is going to be a diggin' good time for all!
Bring some of your finds with you and do a little braggin'
This year we are going to have a "flea market" setup during our lunch. I would like to encourage you to bring detecting related items that you might be interested in selling at the hunt. You never know - Right!
As a reminder our event is also marked on the forum calender, just in case.

Please PM lightningjack or Kansas Dave if you have any questions or concerns.

We are giving away some great prizes in our upcoming t-shirt contest! Watch for it in February.

It's going to be a great time & I can't wait..I'm bringing my wife & I'm pretty sure a friend of mine is going to be there too..

I highly doubt I would be able to make it, but you might want to mention what can be found at the location where you are having the hunt. Maybe its history will draw more people to it...Just a thought...:thinking:

I'm sure Kansasdave can fill you in more about the area, Heres a little info on the park where the hunt is being held.. Anything that was established in "1886" gets my full attention..:yes:

huntpark.jpg

I highly doubt I would be able to make it, but you might want to mention what can be found at the location where you are having the hunt. Maybe its history will draw more people to it...Just a thought...:thinking:

I am glad to see you thinking and I'm glad to see that you might be interested in a condensed history lesson. I'll get something put together for you and post it as soon as I can. :yes:

As requested. This is a very condensed history lesson of Huntress park.
Mr. and Mrs. Orville Huntress came to Clay County in 1861 and bought a farm on what is now called Huntress Creek. Since the Huntress home was on a road traveled by soldiers going from Fort Riley to Indian outposts such as Scandia and White Rock, these men often stopped at the Huntress well for water. The first post office in Clay County was in the Huntress Home. Early settlers from England began homesteading in Clay County in 1862 in the area now, Clay Center. Clay County was named for Henry Clay, the famous U.S. Statesman. In 1886 Mrs. Huntress sold the Huntress farm, but reserved eight acres which she gave to Clay Center for a park. A Chautauqua was held in the park in 1904 (see picture) and has been the site for thousands of picnics and family reunions over the years.

huntress.jpg

The original homestead of Orville Huntress is now a portion of the city of Clay Center and is built over, with the exception of eight acres, which was given to the city for park purposes and is named "Huntress Park." The old Huntress home, built in 1861, is located in this park and is preserved by the city in its original condition, as a monument of her first pioneer. It was not only the Huntress residence, but Clay Center's first post office and hotel. The widow of Orville Huntress, born in Canton Me., Aug. 21, 1821, married for her second husband, C. M. Anthony, a distinguished member of the Kansas bar and a resident of Clay Center. She passed away Dec. 6, 1894.

I hope at the least this has given you an overview of the history of Huntress.
Mark your calendars and schedule time to join us. See you in April.

I am currently working on a surprise hunt in the area. I'll tell you all about it in Clay Center!

Please show your support by joining the K & M Discovery Team and get yourself a cool team t-shirt Here

Back
Top Bottom