Underwater large targets

ginghis

Reliable and versatile detectors for underwater use are quite expensive. My task, however, is to locate large targets like iron or bronze cannons that are buried up to a meter deep (say) underwater. A cruder, simpler device should be sufficient and therefore comparatively cheap. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive detector for this task?

I'm new to water hunting myself, and pretty new to metal detecting in general.

First, I'm not certain that any "sport" detector would be able to find something at a depth of 1 meter. Now, I suppose a cannon could be an exception to the rule, given their size. I just don't have a buried cannon to say for certain. ;) But you'd likely need a coil something along the likes of this: https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/1611800_treasurehound_eagleeye_searchcoil_en.aspx But I don't know if anyone makes one like that that would be waterproof.

Next, you're going to need an underwater metal detector capable of depth greater than 10ft. These models are not going to be inexpensive. Not only that, but you need something that can withstand the mineralization of salt water. A model like the Tesoro Tiger Shark, which is good in fresh, wouldn't get the job done in salt. You likely will need a Pulse Induction (PI) model. I'm sure some will come along and say that that is the only type of machine that will accomplish what you want. And I'm sure that they'll have a stronger understanding than I do.

From a brief search, IF a sport detector could do the job, you're likely going to need to spend a minimum of $750 for a detector.

My ATPro hit on a cannon at least a meter deep on a James River gravel bar, at least I think it's a cannon, I've only dug 3 foot deep, but I know it' there and I'm going back.

I know my Tesoro Sand Shark will find stuff way deeper than I want to dig, I have absolutely no idea if it will find a cannon at a meter but it would be an inexpensive start. You can find them used in the $400 range. Do you have a buried object of similar size you can test it on? I would think it best to know for sure your detector can do what you want it to before diving with it. Good luck with your search! P.S If you find a cannon, we love pictures!

Back
Top Bottom