• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's a good detector for a beginner?

What's a good detector for a beginner?

• Tesoro Compadre

Votes: 81 7.7%
  • Tesoro Silver uMax

Votes: 48 4.6%
  • Fisher F2

Votes: 213 20.3%
  • Garrett At Pro

Votes: 119 11.4%
  • Garrett Ace 250, 350

Votes: 270 25.8%
  • Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

• Xterra 305, 505

Votes: 35 3.3%
  • Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro

• BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Here's a thread where we can give some advice to members new to detecting and wanting to know what a good beginner detector would be.

Listed are the most popular. Please vote which detector you started with, or if it's not in the list, please post on the thread.

My first detector won't be in the list. I started out with a Whites XLT.

Thanks. :D

Hard to beat a bounty hunter for just starting out. They will find anything if you put the coil over it and don't cost much.

If you like it move up to a better machine, if you don't at least you don't have a $500 dust collecter.

great poll Carol. :yes:
seems like a LOT of newer folks on here in the past little while and i'm sure they'll appreciate this info along with all of the other great hints and tips they'll find throughout the forum. :waytogo:

Pete

I actually started off with the Garrett ACE150 (not in the list). Simple easy to use detector with a VDI, something I personally like as a preference, but to each his own. Anyways, you can get them for AROUND $152. Nice poll because I have ALSO noticed a fllooodddd of new people on the forum as well lately. HH \_ with whatever you decide to get.

Just a suggestion, I am going to subscribe to this thread for when a newbie will join and I can copy and paste this thread when they ask our opinions on which detector to purchase as a first and they can see the poll for themselves and hopefully they ask questions pertaining to the MD that they are contemplating on getting. I know that I am still a newbie, but I sure did appreciate, and still do, the advice that I get from you seasoned veterans.

I'm one that HATES to constantly replace equipment. I am new to this, and have just ordered my first machine -- the Minelab Etrac from New England Detectors. I did my research, I've spent time in the field with a gentleman that has an Etrac, and I loved it! I don't live close to him anymore, but I saw what that machine can do, and I went with him enough times to know that this is a hobby I am not soon to put down. So I opted for a better machine than the entry level ones.

Just my suggestion, but if it is possible, I HIGHLY recommend spending some time along side an experienced person before ya start this hobby. Ask them questions, see if you like the machine they are using, and if you like the hobby in general. I think detecting is one of those things that you will either love it or hate it. If ya love it, dive in a get the best machine ya can. If ya hate it, you will know after only a short amount of time afield with the experienced person, and you won't have any money invested at all. Granted, I know it isn't always possible to have that experienced person around to go with, but if ya do, I believe the information they can give is very valuable. Its just like the info you get on this forum, only its in person!!

Just my .02

I vote for the Xterra 305. A great beginner detector and it can hold its own with the midrange detectors too.

G2M

Great poll, Carol.

Now, right from this point of knowledge after a few detecting years my advice will be the Silver µmax made by Tesoro.

the results are kinda what I expected,from the research I did before I bought mine a few weeks ago, it seemed everyone recommends ACE250 or F2. I chose F2.

For me it was the Etrac. Granted not for every beginner but I already knew I was going to stick with it.

I'm one that HATES to constantly replace equipment. I am new to this, and have just ordered my first machine -- the Minelab Etrac

I went the same route but I bought the T2 from Kellyco with all the coils that I could ever use. I am satisfied that I have plenty of machine for me to grow into. I must admit that I am always amazed at the numbers that are put up by F2 experts at a much lower price point. I honestly believe that the indian is always more important than the arrow.

Brian

I vote for the Xterra 305. A great beginner detector and it can hold its own with the midrange detectors too.

G2M
i am the 2nd vote hope we get more:lol:
i started with a 505 used it for a year but when i got my etrac the 505 hasnt seen the light of day since:lol:

Great poll!

F2 - Affordable, Numeric VDI, Fast Recovery, Easy to learn and succeed right away, Target Symbols (Iron, Ni, Zn, Dime, Qtr), better tones than Ace.

I vote for the AT Pro ONLY because that is what I went with for the type of hunting I was interested in doing.

Definitely the compadre. Simple to use, inexpensive yet top quality. It allows you to focus first on the sounds, which to me are more important than a screen. (For the more experienced folk,ever had that deep hit that just sounds good but poor vdi?) Learn the sounds of the machine first. If you decide to upgrade the compadre will stay in your stable as a totllot killer. If you decide you don't like the hobby the resale on this detector is very good. And don't forget about the lifetime warranty!

Back
Top Bottom