Nox 600, Nox 800 and ctx 3030

altereddezignz

Here is the delima i am in currently.
I am looking to purchase a new detector and had thought about purchasing a 3030 as i had one in the past and really liked it but then i started reading about the 600 and the 800.

Has anyone used all 3 and what was your preference?

I do like the fact of it being light weight and of course a lot cheaper than the 3030.

Hunting for me would be in old farm houses or old land. A salt water visit here and there maybe once a year to the beach. Freshwater hunting and around swimming areas at the lake and river. Then of course your normal local lawns.

Thanks

Ctx for sure! They all find the goods, but as of right now, the ctx is in its own league IMO. Ive owned a CTX and now own a Nox 600. I have done well with both models, but the CTX makes it almost too easy!!! Happy hunting!

My only concern would be saltwater. When and if we go to the ocean I spend several hours a day on the beach and in the water. I have watched several videos with crazy results of finding gold and silver in the water. Is this true for the 3030 as well?

For me, Nox for hunting thick iron, scouting, and relic/jewelry hunting.. CTX for coin shooting hands down.

Equinox strengths are price, fast recovery speed, light weight and hits small lower conductors better.

CTX strengths are superior target ID, Target Trace, 2D disc, and deadly on deep silver.

Both are great machines and compliment each other if you can own both. Another option would be to pick up a Nox 600 and an Etrac for about the same price as the CTX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well this doesnt make it any easier lol...

Is the 800 worth the 2-3 months wait for the upgrade and price?

Sorry for all the questions but i have found my self in the past buying detectors then regretting not getting something else or the upgrade or getting the upgrade to finding out that the one below was just as capable..

People have been getting used CTXs for as low as 1250 bucks. Grab one now cheap before the people selling them to get a NOX realize their mistake and the price goes back up.lol. lots of 600s already popping up for sale.

Well this doesnt make it any easier lol...

Is the 800 worth the 2-3 months wait for the upgrade and price?

lol sorry. To me it would be worth the wait and price difference just for the ability to fine tune the tone settings which is only available on the 800. If that’s not a big deal to you, and you don’t need the other things (wireless headphones, more backlight settings, gold mode, little faster recovery speed setting, etc), then the 600 should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a Etrac,but no 3030..Have a nox 600now..Not even in the same class as a coinshooter as the Etrac..If the 3030 is better than the Etrac,then get your 3030.No offense to the original poster,but these machines shouldn’t even be in the same sentence together,the nox is no where near as good as a fbs for deep coins and ID.

I own the CTX and the equinox 800. And im not gonna get rid of my CTX any time soon. In surf you probably would prefer using an Excalibur blue 1000. I use an Excalibur 800 too and wont be stopping that habit.

If you aren't worrying about money/weight, get the CTX. Find someone at a local club selling their detector... or call up a forum sponsor.

You can always grab a Equinox 1200 later.

Whoops. Did I say Equinox $1200? I mean Equinox 800.

Get a Nox 800 only if you can’t find a CTX used and at a great price. If you don’t care about having programs, GPS go for the Nox.

Minelab will probably refresh the CTX in 1-2 years anyway. Use the Nox for the time-being.

Noticed dealers wised up, and now selling there Nox 800's on ebay at inflated prices

People are buying them at the inflated prices :?:

The whole nox hype was the affordable price point.

If you aren't worrying about money/weight, get the CTX. Find someone at a local club selling their detector... or call up a forum sponsor.

You can always grab a Equinox 1200 later.

Whoops. Did I say Equinox $1200? I mean Equinox 800.

:laughing:

Has anyone used all 3 and what was your preference?
Yup! In the wet sand at salt water beaches, the CTX hands down.

The 17" coil quickly covers big open beaches and gains a lot of depth! The VDI is very confident up to 12" and depending on the size of the target, moderately confident at depths up to 15". The target trace feature gives you a visual when multiple targets are under the coil's footprint and really help in trashy areas.

The extra coils and headphones are readily available. The CTX is also on their second gen model which has better o-rings for use in the water. Had mine submerged plenty and never a leak. Plus, they come with the AA pack, so if your batt dies, you can easily pickup (or pack ahead of time) standard batteries.

The Nox has a unique single frequency gold mode that gives a slight edge to thin or small mass targets. Problem (for me) is that you can't run the SF Gold mode in the wet ocean sand, especially around black sand, or it will false too much. To avoid the falsing, you have to switch to multi-frequency beach mode where, in my tests, enabled the exact same targets to be found by the CTX.

In my opinion, too many folks are drinking the NOX-Kool-aid and thinking it is the end-all machine. Many are dumping their CTXs for dirt cheap and then paying $900-1200 for an overpriced NOX. Bleh, capitalize on what's happening and pick up a good used CTX that is still under warranty. If you go with a new machine, definately negotiate the price. CTX's are in stock and most dealers will give you a hookup that is far, FAR BELOW MSRP.

Back
Top Bottom