• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hunting in the snow

adamdetector

So today I tried hunting in the snow and it was immposible. First I had to dig through the ice then I have to dig through the grass that's like rock cuz it's frozen. So it takes me like 4 minutes to get 1 Target and at the end it's freaking foil! Do you guys think I should wait untill the winter season ends?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Hell no, you need one of those propane weed killing torches! Melt that snow!

Ok, seriously try some leafed over wooded areas, salt water beaches? Or tot lots (the chips will get frozen together.... best of luck!

Not my cup of tea hunting in the cold, may consider a forest hunt..since the leaves give us a little extra time. Though very hard to find targets but do once in awhile.

Plus starting to understand clues more often, recently found a well and 2 trash pits. I may get a privy tool to spot a few more digs... hh

ps Edmonton John I believe hunts winters.

Hell no, you need one of those propane weed killing torches! Melt that snow!

Ok, seriously try some leafed over wooded areas, salt water beaches? Or tot lots (the chips will get frozen together.... best of luck!
Lol thanks, will try. Best if luck to you too! HH

Not my cup of tea hunting in the cold, may consider a forest hunt..since the leaves give us a little extra time. Though very hard to find targets but do once in awhile.

Plus starting to understand clues more often, recently found a well and 2 trash pits. I may get a privy tool to spot a few more digs... hh

ps Edmonton John I believe hunts winters.
True. I'll try and go to a forest, see if it's any better! Thanks. HH

Go try some totlots. I got a diamond ring out of one, in the snow, last year. You have nothing to lose by trying! Check out Mud Puppy's posts on hunting in the snow. He's got it down to a science!

Reminded me of this comic :laughing::laughing::laughing:
snowmd2.jpg

Adapt some strategies to the conditions is all...John Edmonton hunts all Winter in the woods mainly or along fast flowing water...Those little things called Hothands are your friend! I like the Hotfeet packets on account of they fit right into a glove and have an adhesive on one side so a guy can use them either in a glove or in your boots or even slapped right to your rigs battery case to keep your batts warm...I 'bag coil' to keep the snow from balling up on it and making it weigh a ton...thats a good little trick!

Now, just because the dirt/totlot chips are frozen solid, you can still hunt sledding hills and all that...lots of money dropped on sledding hills, rings too...

If everything is frozen solid and you dont have any open water, You can still go hunting without digging a thing!...Right through 6" of snow even! For scouting purposes! When the dirt thaws, you have a harvesting route all figured out and can hit it hard and fast knowing where the drop zones and pay dirt is!....You found the lane, thats the hardest part, so that money is just sitting there waiting for you to come and get it!! Like in a little icy bank account! :laughing:

Pay attention to where the snow piles are along parking lots....go hunt them as soon as it starts to melt, everything lost in the parking lot over the winter is in the snowpiles! You can find coins and jewelry and paper money laying right on the grass or pavement!

Even in the Summer, its good to think about where the snow has been pushed or shoveled and hunt THAT side of the sidewalk entrance or parking lot...Lots of things like that for Winter hunting....Its actually not too bad if you dress right....

Attachments

• snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 142
  • snow cat.jpg
    snow cat.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 144
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 149
  • bag coil-5.jpg
    bag coil-5.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 147
  • bag coil-2.jpg
    bag coil-2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 148
  • snowpennies.jpg
    snowpennies.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 151
  • feb 22-16-2.jpg
    feb 22-16-2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 145
  • dec 713-2.jpg
    dec 713-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Apr 1-15-3.jpg
    Apr 1-15-3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
So today I tried hunting in the snow and it was immposible. First I had to dig through the ice then I have to dig through the grass that's like rock cuz it's frozen. So it takes me like 4 minutes to get 1 Target and at the end it's freaking foil! Do you guys think I should wait untill the winter season ends?

Or drive South.......:D:lol:

If you're like me, eventually you'll go stir crazy.

Two ways to mitigate this:

This last year, I went out and cleaned my favorite park's big hill BEFORE the snow started (just did it again this last weekend). The purpose was to ensure that any new drops in the snow from the tubers/sledders would be either in the snow or on the surface. I'd like to say it totally paid off last year. I got $0.18 from my first outing in 1.5 hours *laughs* but, I never had to dig into the frozen ground! (which will destroy turf in a park, because it's like chipping away ice).

Got my fix in, enjoyed the day swinging, and kept the crazy voices at bay for a while. While the strategy was good, not enough people lost stuff for it to be fun. Scratch that.. LOTS was lost, just no valuable jewelry or change. I found a bazillion zippers and buttons, and a bunch of junk earrings... which is why the hunt was fun, anyway... Some of those earrings COULD have been gold/silver.

Another alternative is to tot-lot hunt in the winter, with a real shovel. You can't damage anything in the bark. That turned out to be my favorite hunting type during snow. I pulled several nice knives (dad's lose them on the swings as they catch the chains...), lots of change, a few MP3 players, and various rings...

Cheers!

Skippy

I'm not sure of hunting in (((shivering))) winter, heck my family already considers this a odd hobby. Winter hunting will confirm we are actually crazy :D

It all depends on how much fun your having.🤣,

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom