• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Kind of a strange day

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Like they all aren't :roll: :D

Hit the road about 8:30 this AM to try and get some permissions. 1st stop, spoke with the lady, explained what I wanted to do, and she told me about here parents house which had burnt, as well as another spot which still had a 1 room shack on it. I was doing cartwheels on the inside inside, but managed to control my excitement.

There was another lady there, and the owner told the other to "get in the Jeep, and we'll show him where they are". So I followed them them to both homesites, and she said all she asked was to be sure to keep the gates closed. Well, I can do that! :yes: I asked if she knew how old the house was, and she said her parents moved in to it in the early to mid 50's. So the possibility of silver was there.

So they left me at the burnt house site, so I went at it with the DeLeon and 5.75" coil. Place was a mess, as you can imagine. I hunted a good 4 hours, got 2 Wheat, 2 clad dimes ('68 & '70), and 3 Memorials. I also found some sort of fob (dated 1910), but couldn't tell what it said until I got it home. I'm going to see if it's any kin to the people who own the property, and give it to them if so.

I was going to "save" the other site for the AM, and get an early start, as it's been getting close to 90* again :(, but decided to go over there, since it was so close.

Found a Louisiana Tax Token, a couple Memorials, and another Wheat. I honestly think the clasps are off a woman's bra. Unsure of the bottle, maybe bovine medication?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Took me a good 2+ hours to find what little I did, so I was headed to the truck to call it a day. Husband (Landowner) of the woman who gave me permission pulled-up on his side-by-side, we talked for a few, and said he'd let people there before to fish, and before long it was more traffic than he wanted, so he asked me to pack-up and leave. I said sure, apologized, and said I was sorry for any problem. I told him I understood since I lived on a pond before, ad it turned-out the same, I had to say "no" because some had ruined it for others.

Anyway, grabbed my stuff and left. On the plus side, I also snagged an old baseball field I wasn't aware of across from an old school. Her daddy's the caretaker, so I won't get run-off there :p

Interesting read and probably typical of many of our experiences,(had something similar only different to that happen to me early this summer). Bet there was a small spat between husband and wife over that, lol.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Looks like a pretty good day!!! Your experience is something to keep in mind. Always good to get a "second opinion". Many years ago I worked for a cable/ communication company. The wife of a home would give us permission to do something then the husband would get home and lose his mind...or vise versa. Cant help but respect his decision and logic. "one bad apple spoils the bunch"....HH

Thanks all! Yeah, he was being a decent guy about it, and I honestly understood. Funny thing is, when she took me to the 1st spot, her husband came by and they spoke for a minute. Don't know why he didn't stop me then? So maybe he was gonna give me one day. Doubt I'd have went back anyway. I'm hoping these past few hunts aren't indicative of "typical" finds around here. People had to have more than Wheaties jingling in their pockets :lol:

On the Token, I noticed the triangular hole in the center, and recalled never finding one like that. I'd looked to see if it was some sort of identifier for a specific token, but didn't have much luck finding a reason for a specific shaped hole on the center.

Texted the lady I'd spoke with yesterday in regards to wanting the fob. She said she'd check with her parents and let me know. I finished going through the rest of the trash I'd dug, and remembered digging several tags of some sort, many having a piece of string tied to them. Once I saw they were dated mid-1960's, I told her she was welcome to those as well, as they may have been her Dads.

Oh, and she confirmed I still have permission on the old School and Ball Field, and I saved the text to show anyone questioning otherwise :cool:

Mississippi Game and Fish Commission equipment tags.

picture.php

Glad to see you're still in the game and haven't lost all permissions. Nice collection of trot line, limb line or jug fishing tags.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom