Almost 14 years since I dug my best coin

Iron_Patch

And I've been waiting that long for what is now one of the 12 documented pieces to come to auction. The Charlton coin guide just says extremely rare, so I guess I'll see what happens at the end of the month when the bids start to fly... at least I hope they start to fly. :yes: For me detecting is all about early coins and military buttons, and it just dawned on me recently that I dug what will most likely be my best coin and button find within 2 years of starting detecting, and this is my 15th year. I've made many good finds since, but they will be tough to beat!

Upon his arrival in P.E.I. in 1813, Charles Douglass Smith, the island's newly appointed lieutenant-governor, discovered that there was a serious shortage of circulating coin. Although Spanish coins, mainly the dollars or 8-reale pieces, occasionally found their way to the island in trade, they rarely remained in circulation because they were used to pay for imported goods. In an effort to alleviate this situation, Smith issued a proclamation in 1813 stating, in part: "It is also ordered that Spanish Dollars, limited to the amount of One Thousand, shall be cut at the Treasury, by having a circular piece taken out of the centre of each - the Collars so cut, are to be issued from and received at the Treasury at the rate of Five Shillings Currency each, and the piece so taken out to be issued from and received at the Treasury, at one shilling currency each. " Thus each Spanish dollar provided two silver coins - the outer ring or 'holey dollar' and the centre disc or 'plug' - with a combined total value of six shillings. Since the unmutilated Spanish dollar was valued at only five shillings, it was hoped that by overrating the holey dollar and plugs these pieces would remain in circulation on the island.

However, owing to a large number of fraudulent imitations, probably made by the local merchants, the official issue was recalled and, after 28 September 1814, even genuine issue were no longer exchangeable at the colonial Treasury. However, the unredeemed holey dollars, as well as the merchants' forgeries, continued to circulate for many years. Although records describing any official markings do not seem to have survived, the holey dollars and plugs appear to have been counterstamped with a ring consisting of ten triangles forming a kind of star or sunburst. On the holey dollar this pattern can be seen overlapping the Spanish king's forehead.

Attachments

• pl1.jpg
    pl1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,536
  • pl2.jpg
    pl2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,488
Cool stuff! I dug the coolest find i'll probably ever dig early on. Not like i'll ever dig another one. It's silver and not worth as much as the gold I dig. But I challenge someone else to find a ring like this. Been trying to locate one like it since I found it. Too bad my ex wife has it in her collection now:roll:

Attachments

• poison  ring.jpg
    poison ring.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,525
Wow , both are some very cool finds . Congrats to both of you . To bad about the Ex keeping your ring . Another reason to not disclose our finds to anyone .

Love the story, I enjoy when posters give us background information on the coins they have plucked from the Earth. From the looks of it your coin is in much better shape than the one pictured below it. Looks like you will be fetching a pretty penny for that coin. Congrats on your best coin find and hope you can top it in the future.

P.S. Have no idea what P.E.I is. I'm in the military and I hate acronyms because we speak in them and assume everyone understands us.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Where can we watch the results (live or otherwise) of the auction?

Thanks!

Skippy

P.S. Have no idea what P.E.I is. I'm in the military and I hate acronyms because we speak in them and assume everyone understands us.

P.E.I would be Prince Edward Island off the east coast of Canada. A really nice find

Cool stuff! I dug the coolest find i'll probably ever dig early on. Not like i'll ever dig another one. It's silver and not worth as much as the gold I dig. But I challenge someone else to find a ring like this. Been trying to locate one like it since I found it. Too bad my ex wife has it in her collection now:roll:

If you Google "Poison Ring" you may find what you are looking for, or at least a close variation.

Edit: Got bored checked for a bit before bed. Found a close one but not it.
sale%20-%20a%20complicated%20little%20secret%20-%20vintage%20sterling%20silver%20with%20complex%20existential%20sculptures%20-%20p-f97335.jpg

Hey IP,

I remember one of your previous post & that you told that this find got mentioned/published in a book. Not sure if I congratulated you then but am doing so now.
Not sure why you're parting with this coin, it would be hard for me to do so, but hope you realize a significant return.

Also wanted to thank you for being so helpful in the past with some of my and other folks id's of our finds. :thankyou:

Additionally, nice to see your humorous avatar back. Now if you could just get your post count back to where it belongs, some of the newer members could realize and appreciate your dedication to this site.

GL,

C

So your saying it is going to auction ?
I would like to watch it.
I don't have any really valueable finds, but one I made in year one is still a favorite.

Not something I have seen before and do not expect to find one! :)

Love the story, I enjoy when posters give us background information on the coins they have plucked from the Earth. From the looks of it your coin is in much better shape than the one pictured below it. Looks like you will be fetching a pretty penny for that coin. Congrats on your best coin find and hope you can top it in the future.

No question mine has a lot more eye appeal, but is only one factor with these. Collectors like the ones with the early pedigree, which of course mine doesn't have being dug 14 or so years ago. But the biggie is being recognized as one of the 12.

Fabulous coin Patch! It's shocking to imagine finding such a rare coin. Makes a 1916D Mercury dime seem common! Congrats and best wishes on the auction.

It's really apples and oranges, and even though the numbers are low for these, they only circulated in a small area. Just imagine what an American coin brings where there was only 12 known... and of course that's because it's 12 for an entire country, not just a state, in this case a province.

Hey IP,

I remember one of your previous post & that you told that this find got mentioned/published in a book. Not sure if I congratulated you then but am doing so now.
Not sure why you're parting with this coin, it would be hard for me to do so, but hope you realize a significant return.

Also wanted to thank you for being so helpful in the past with some of my and other folks id's of our finds. :thankyou:

Additionally, nice to see your humorous avatar back. Now if you could just get your post count back to where it belongs, some of the newer members could realize and appreciate your dedication to this site.

GL,

C

Thanks & Thanks, but mine is not for sale, it's just one of the other 11 known. I will never part with mine. It can't really get much better for detecting here, and combined with everything else I've dug, I will have plenty of dirt cred for the generations to come. :) I like the idea of when I'm older, much older, having a little detecting club and being the guru who found so much. But I'm 25-30 years away from that becoming reality. :yes:

So your saying it is going to auction ?
I would like to watch it.
I don't have any really valueable finds, but one I made in year one is still a favorite.

One of the 12 known is being sold, but not mine. The Bank of Canada owns at least 2, maybe 3, so in reality even though 12 exist, it's only 9 or 10 that can ever come up for sale.

I thought I added a link for the auction, so it was likely deleted. But here's one I think you will like.

Attachments

• 3aa.jpg
    3aa.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 910
Back
Top Bottom