Too old to take up golf but can still get in 18 holes

Au:11

I'm too old to take up golf, but living on the beach, metal detecting promises to be an easy way to spend an hour, working on my swing, playing 18 holes and digging my way out of a sand trap.

Instead of paying $100.00 to play, this game plan will put change and jewelry in my pockets!

No tee time, no heavy bags, just a small gardening shovel, a pouch and my club of choice to swing, playing through at an easy pace.

What a great hobby..

does anyone else do 18 holes?
Gulf is the Mexican term for Golf.

What is your favorite detector?
Mine will be a Whites 5900 Di Pro SL.

So, is there a better detector for the sugar white, Florida beaches?

(Panhandle of Florida)

https://flic.kr/p/GxR59p

Last edited:
Ace Apex
Nox 600 or 800
Tarsacci

From less expensive to most expensive. Apex and Nox are simultaneous multi frequency which work well on salt water beaches. Tarsacci is new tech but will cost you about $1400.00.

Apex is easiest to swing and more economical.

I'm too old to take up golf, but living on the beach, metal detecting promises to be an easy way to spend an hour, working on my swing, playing 18 holes and digging my way out of a sand trap.

Instead of paying $100.00 to play, this game will put change and jewelry in my pockets!

No tee time, no heavy bags, just a small gardening shovel, a pouch and my club of choice to swing, playing through at an easy pace.

What a great hobby..

So, what is your favorite detector?

So, is there a better detector for the sugar white, Florida beaches? (Panhandle of Florida)

The bigger sister of that 5900, was the 6000. As I understand it, they are identical except that the 5900 did not have auto-track on the ground balance, like the 6000 did. And this may be an issue for the wet salt.

Not sure about FL, but in CA, the 5900 wasn't too good on wet salt (unless you kept perpetually re-balancing every time you stepped further from, or closer to, the ocean). Versus the 6000 di pro that was a very good wet-salt machine (for its class and era).

Good luck in your retirement, and welcome to FMDF.

Golf is a better hobby than MDING. More people should do that instead. Unless you like being looked down upon as a homeless miscreant...

Instead of paying $100.00 to play, this game plan will put change and jewelry in my pockets!

What a great hobby..

What is your favorite detector?

So, is there a better detector for the sugar white, Florida beaches?

(Panhandle of Florida)

I also have a 5900 and have run it for over 10 years. 3 years ago i bought a Equinox 800 and there is no comparison.

I am a cheapskate, most of my golf is ten bucks for nine holes, walking.

Most of our great Lake Michigan beaches charge for parking and i am trying to figure out how to dodge that come this summer.

Last time I remember playing golf was mini-golf (aka putt-putt) likely several decades ago :lol:

animated-golf-image-0005.gif_________________________________animated-golf-image-0062.gif

Last edited:
I also have a 5900 and have run it for over 10 years. 3 years ago i bought a Equinox 800 and there is no comparison.

Informative and well noted.
May sell some of my past hobby investments and see if I can swing an Equinox.
(Assuming: The Equinox 800 is your preferred Metal Detector now, right?)

Golf is a nice walk ruined. I tried it twice. Most frustrating thing i ever tried to do. I much prefer detecting. Just me and the beach with my Xcal and my scoop. Dig as many holes as my decrepit old body will allow. Do everything possible to keep from paying for parking.

There’s a great dealer down in Tampa Bay. I forget his name but I’m sure he’s a soon here. Anyway, he’ll set you straight.

Back
Top Bottom