Here come the police again ..

Armistead

I started a thread earlier today where I got permission from the Parks Director to hunt an old park. I was hunting and noticed an older couple drive by a few times, finally pulled in the park. I was only one there. I was about done, went to scope out an old burned school, but came back to the park and noticed the same car stopped in the road. I went around and pulled into the land across the street I'm hunting. They went and pulled in the park across the street. A police car comes around pulls in the park, followed by another, one gets out and talks to the old couple. He finally comes to me and ask was I across the street earlier detecting, "sure was" says I. He said the old couple was complaining. I showed him my permission from the city. He looked at it and smiled and said "nosy people" smiled and left after talking to them.

Anyway, found one sivler quarter, two mercs, more wheats. I found one small gold ring, but bet I dug 100 pulltabs, finally gave up and set discrim up. Dug up some old whetstone with an iron center. Why looking on the private land I found a old trash pit and scored several bottles. The owner said I could keep them.

I wish I had young feet again, I would've stayed longer.

I have been following this thread today and have had a similar experience. Last july 4 th my dad and i went to hunt a old city park and he had gotten verbal permission from the caretaker, we werent there 5 minuites and a park walker called the cops on us. Cityt pd showed up and told us we were not allowed to md there, as luck would have it the caretaker was there and he told the pd he had given us permission to detect, pd did not care as they wanted to hear it from the director. Caretaker called the director at home on the 4th of july and told him what was going on, director said to the cops on the phone that it was ok we were there. Cops wished us good luck, gave us more leads and apologized for the confusion. I thumbed my nose at the walker on her next loop around, HA HA! EAT IT NOSY NEIHBORS!:laughing:

I'm an old fart, too, but I do mind my own business. I can't stand the old farts who have to be on 'neighborhood watch' where it doesn't matter.
I would have thumbed my nose with ya'...:yes:

Sometimes the LEO's are in the same category as the nosey old farts...but that's life...I guess that they are just trying to make their jobs more exciting.OMOYMV

Its happened to me, too. Some people just don't have enough of thier own business to mind.

Agree.
Its like they need the excitement to make their day worthwhile.
Pretty sad....:(

Before joining and reading the forum, I never would have guessed there would be such "trouble" with the law. I read so many encounters to some degree or another regarding authority involvement. Either by their own or through complaints. I'm honestly flabbergasted.

People must think A) we're some kind of mythical dirt wizard conjuring beasts from beneath B) someone is giving us some seriously bad press or C) y'all are some shady lookin cats

Is it a right of passage to metal detecting that we go through at least one harassment by the man? Truly dumbfounded.

When you go detecting in public areas you :laughing:may as well put a sign on youre back that says, PLEASE HARASS ME, I OBVIOUSLY DONT NEED TO BE HERE, SEND THE CHILDREN TO PESTER ME AND PLEASE CALL THE POLICE!

When you go detecting in public areas you :laughing:may as well put a sign on youre back that says, PLEASE HARASS ME, I OBVIOUSLY DONT NEED TO BE HERE, SEND THE CHILDREN TO PESTER ME AND PLEASE CALL THE POLICE!

Hrmmmmmm....Maybe you are on to something there. I say next years FMDF shirt desing should simply read in very large letters on the back ...'WHY FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK. YES I DO HAVE PERMISSION TO BE HERE"

......Oh, and then maybe a little smiley face too! :grin:

Last edited:
You don't see any walkers in the older parks in my town and if someone in those neighborhoods actually cared and called the cops they probably wouldn't come to those neighborhoods anyway. :laughing:

I had a cop stop to see what I was doing in my own front yard. I knew who called on me so the next time his dog was barking at midnight I called and complained to the cops about it. Problem solved. Next time you see someone acting strange cause they think your doing wrong call the cops and report them for beig suspicious. Lol

Must be a boring town if the cops respond to MD calls. They wouldn't have time for that here!

Chalk up another one

Detecter wins, concerned citizen loses. When I am out of town and I know im in the right, I go to the police station and tell them what I am doing. I don't ask for their blessing, I just want them to know what I am driving so when they get the call from a concerned individual they don't have to bother wasting their time sending a patrol car.

Before joining and reading the forum, I never would have guessed there would be such "trouble" with the law. I read so many encounters to some degree or another regarding authority involvement. Either by their own or through complaints. I'm honestly flabbergasted.

People must think A) we're some kind of mythical dirt wizard conjuring beasts from beneath B) someone is giving us some seriously bad press or C) y'all are some shady lookin cats

Is it a right of passage to metal detecting that we go through at least one harassment by the man? Truly dumbfounded.

I guess this is why I hunt the forest exclusively. No stress and no one around to ruin my day.

I have been following this thread today and have had a similar experience. Last july 4 th my dad and i went to hunt a old city park and he had gotten verbal permission from the caretaker, we werent there 5 minuites and a park walker called the cops on us. Cityt pd showed up and told us we were not allowed to md there, as luck would have it the caretaker was there and he told the pd he had given us permission to detect, pd did not care as they wanted to hear it from the director. Caretaker called the director at home on the 4th of july and told him what was going on, director said to the cops on the phone that it was ok we were there. Cops wished us good luck, gave us more leads and apologized for the confusion. I thumbed my nose at the walker on her next loop around, HA HA! EAT IT NOSY NEIHBORS!:laughing:

After the cops left you could have told the walker on their next loop that they we're making you nervous walking past you so much and you may have to call the police.:lol:

..........They went and pulled in the park across the street. A police car comes around pulls in the park, followed by another, one gets out and talks to the old couple.....

Man, some people just need more going on in their life. The police have better things to do than check on us.

I have been following this thread today and have had a similar experience. Last july 4 th my dad and i went to hunt a old city park and he had gotten verbal permission from the caretaker, we werent there 5 minuites and a park walker called the cops on us....

What is with some people? Did you look like you had a backhoe with you?

I'm an old fart, too, but I do mind my own business. I can't stand the old farts who have to be on 'neighborhood watch' where it doesn't matter....

It's good to have a pair of eyes watching a neighborhood area. Just don't bother to call the police if it's obviously someone like us.

Okay I'll be honest I do look pretty shady (hey I'm only 23 that wears black blue or gray alot, and I'll tell you for beng brown I do or should I say used to get Harrassed a lot when I lived in the city but it don't bother me much, but now I'm out in the country enjoying the scenery taking care of my father , life's great :cool:

I honestly didn't know to feel sorry for them or not. I think they spent an hour riding around watching me. I can only hear them debating what to do, but it took them some time to call the police. This isn't even a nice park, lot's of beer bottles laying around. In the week I've been near it, I've yet to see one kid playing in it. The area is full of old mill homes, but all the mills are gone, so not the best area to be in, even in a small rural town.

I did pick up many beer bottles and put them in the trash. Consider it my gift to humanity.:p

Back
Top Bottom