Morgan’s

Nailfinder85

Couple highlights from the week....
b035cd4299ea86b4736fe004e0a732b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on man, you have to tell a story when you post amazing finds. What type property? What type detector? Spill? Detecting with friend who was so jealous he stepped on your detector after ya pulled the third one? What the heck? Don't leave us hanging. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Morgan's in one week ?? STORY or it didn't happen ! :wow:

Hmmm, they do look a little tarnished for Morgans. Most Morgans would come from a coin collection would be in excellent shape. Morgans from the ground not so good.

Why? Morgans were minted in huge numbers and never circulated to keep the western politicians happy back in the day because it kept the wealthy silver mine owners happy who in turn financed the politicians to keep them voting to keep minting huge numbers of useless Morgans. The government had so many of them they didn't have enough room in the banks and even stored them in bags in the post offices.

Iridescent Morgans resulted from being stored in cloth bags with sulfur content and the Morgans located next to the cloth over the years took on the iridescent patina.

So yes a story would be great to fill in the gaps, but I vote they had indeed spent some time in the ground.

Soil conditiins and what depth?
One hunt or multiple?
3 Morgans in a week not a common occurance.

3 Morgan’s found by a member who joined a month ago isn’t common either...as they say. Let’s hear the story...

I’ve seen lots of silver coins but the toning looks too even to have been in the ground long. Let’s hear the story. Maybe they were dropped recently from a collection or something but can’t just post 3 Morgan’s and no story. :laughing:

Sorry to keep you all hanging. I’m on vacation visiting family, kids, beaches, metal detecting and it’s been hectic. I’m on a short two day road trip back home to KY. I’ll try my best at a better write up later but long story short I found an old store/bank in the town I grew up in. Settled in the late 1700s. I was just too excited about all my finds and the Morgan’s were burning a hole in my “post” pocket, not to put something up. If you don’t believe the Morgan’s should I just not put up pics of the v nickel, mercs, or ihps? I’ll be back on in a bit, 2 hours from hotel.......need coffee......

3 Morgan’s found by a member who joined a month ago isn’t common either...as they say. Let’s hear the story...

I've hunted with him a couple of times and he knows good dirt. He got us on the permission that scored me a CSA button last month. Long time arrowhead hunter and outdoorsman. All he was missing was a metal detector so he hit the ground running and hitting areas he's known for years.

He sent me the photos of these along with some other goodies, but I don't want to steal his story. He said he was going to write something up. He's probably trying to spend as much time as possible hunting before he has to pack up and head back home. Or he's on the road.

Sorry to keep you all hanging. I’m on vacation visiting family, kids, beaches, metal detecting and it’s been hectic. I’m on a short two day road trip back home to KY. I’ll try my best at a better write up later but long story short I found an old store/bank in the town I grew up in. Settled in the late 1700s. I was just too excited about all my finds and the Morgan’s were burning a hole in my “post” pocket, not to put something up. If you don’t believe the Morgan’s should I just not put up pics of the v nickel, mercs, or ihps? I’ll be back on in a bit, 2 hours from hotel.......need coffee......

Yeah, next time I'm hiding in your trunk!

Hmmm, they do look a little tarnished for Morgans. Most Morgans would come from a coin collection would be in excellent shape. Morgans from the ground not so good.

Why? Morgans were minted in huge numbers and never circulated to keep the western politicians happy back in the day because it kept the wealthy silver mine owners happy who in turn financed the politicians to keep them voting to keep minting huge numbers of useless Morgans. The government had so many of them they didn't have enough room in the banks and even stored them in bags in the post offices.

Iridescent Morgans resulted from being stored in cloth bags with sulfur content and the Morgans located next to the cloth over the years took on the iridescent patina.

So yes a story would be great to fill in the gaps, but I vote they had indeed spent some time in the ground.

a whole lot of 'em got "cooked" in 1918 due to the "pittman act".. a "ton" still around!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I been buying Morgans recently, love how big they are, what a chunky coin!
Finding Morgans would be an extra special event.
Congrats on the killer Morgan recovery!

Back
Top Bottom