Grant For President

TNTGross

Elite Member
It was a nice cool day and I had a chance to hunt the front lawn of a customers home that was built in the 1920's. I have avoided the front lawn because it isn't shaded. As it was a bit cloudy and cooler than normal, I figured I would hit it. The back lawn has given me several wheaties and some clad. But no silver. Was hoping the front yard would be better.

I was only able to hit half of it and all I was getting was clad. My last target rang up a solid 25 on the Nox. Thinking it was going to be a clad dime, I started digging. When I got the target out of the ground, it was a large clump and about the size of a quarter.

I had no idea what it was. All I could see was a profile facing left on the front and an eagle on the back. Put it in my pocket, loaded up my stuff, and went home to clean my find.

Come to find out, it is an 1872 U.S. Grant for President medallion. Seems that he had them made to give out to his supporters for his re-election.

For a size comparison, I put it next to the two Mercs I found this week at another customers lawn.

Attachments

• U.S. Grant 8-16-19 01.jpg
    U.S. Grant 8-16-19 01.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 270
  • U.S. Grant 8-16-19 02.jpg
    U.S. Grant 8-16-19 02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 252
  • U.S. Grant 8-16-19 03.jpg
    U.S. Grant 8-16-19 03.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 238
What a neat piece of history! The winged liberty heads look nice, too. Cool finds; thanks for sharing. :waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom