Well, Hi there

InTheHunt

Hello everyone. I'm new to metal detecting...obviously. I've been doing it now for about one month solid as a hobby. In my distant past (1995ish) I had a Bounty Hunter. Today, I am using a Gerrett AT 200. I've been thinking that I should buy something a little bit beefier now that I know that this hobby is my sort-of-thing. I've been thinking of one of these as my first "let's get real" detector: Fisher F75; Garrett AT Max; NOX 600/800; but I do not know yet.

To date, I've been digging my own yard and I've found what most would expect from a house that was built in 1999. However, last week, I went on my first "woods dig" and I found an old Texaco Brass Oil Tag.

I'm a 37yo father of two young kids. My wife and I have been married for 15 years. I live in Eastern North Carolina. I love being outdoors in nature and I do a lot as an outdoors-man (not a sportsmen). I am not a liberal, nor am I conservative. I am neither democratic, nor republic. I like to think using my head when it comes to politics and feel with my heart when it comes to family; but I digress. My real name is John A.

Welcome from Kansas and Antiques Detectors. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Thank you for chiming in. I do not want to get to deep into the "which machine is best" type of forum; but, I do want to talk a little about it. The issue that specifically I want to try to get the better of is: I dig a lot of old farm houses that are pretty trashy in the dirt. So far, I've mostly digging old can pull tops. They trigger solid in the nickle and penny ranges and it just drives me bananas! I'm not really a "coin digger," I'm mostly interested in finding cool "things." Any advice for a beginner? I'm looking for better ways to determine if something is an aluminum can or not before I break ground. No big deal if there aren't any ways too. I figured that a little more serious detector could "dial-out" the trash a little better....meh, but what do I know.

Welcome from the Florida Treasure coast.

Aluminum is a problem for everyone.

Thank you for chiming in. I do not want to get to deep into the "which machine is best" type of forum; but, I do want to talk a little about it. The issue that specifically I want to try to get the better of is: I dig a lot of old farm houses that are pretty trashy in the dirt. So far, I've mostly digging old can pull tops. They trigger solid in the nickle and penny ranges and it just drives me bananas! I'm not really a "coin digger," I'm mostly interested in finding cool "things." Any advice for a beginner? I'm looking for better ways to determine if something is an aluminum can or not before I break ground. No big deal if there aren't any ways too. I figured that a little more serious detector could "dial-out" the trash a little better....meh, but what do I know.

There are a couple of ways to ignore aluminum cans.

1) raise your coil 6-8 inches and if still getting strong signal - can
2) if can is just 2-3 inches deep you can outline shape with pin pointer.
3) but if you ignore cans, they will absolutely mask a good target underneath or close by.

Hello everyone. I'm new to metal detecting...obviously. I've been doing it now for about one month solid as a hobby. In my distant past (1995ish) I had a Bounty Hunter. Today, I am using a Gerrett AT 200. I've been thinking that I should buy something a little bit beefier now that I know that this hobby is my sort-of-thing. I've been thinking of one of these as my first "let's get real" detector: Fisher F75; Garrett AT Max; NOX 600/800; but I do not know yet.

To date, I've been digging my own yard and I've found what most would expect from a house that was built in 1999. However, last week, I went on my first "woods dig" and I found an old Texaco Brass Oil Tag.

I'm a 37yo father of two young kids. My wife and I have been married for 15 years. I live in Eastern North Carolina. I love being outdoors in nature and I do a lot as an outdoors-man (not a sportsmen). I am not a liberal, nor am I conservative. I am neither democratic, nor republic. I like to think using my head when it comes to politics and feel with my heart when it comes to family; but I digress. My real name is John A.

Welcome from Tennessee. You may want to look at the Tekentics Patriot very good machine and great price at $399 shipped to your door.

Welcome from the lowcountry of SC. Don't know if you are real close to the coast but if you plan on doing any detecting on the salt water beach take a hard look at what each detector is capable of handling. Most detectors do not handle the mineralization of salt watyer well at all. Yes they will find those shallow targets but you will miss a lot of good targets. As far as pull tabs keep in mind that some gold rings will show up in the same range as those dastardly little devils.

well!..hi there back!...i think you are smarter that you give yourself credit for!
"smart money" says any of your choices will do it foe you, and the BONUS is, you won't be getting rid of any of them soon!..you can keep any of them for a lifetime, and keep findin' the good stuff! all first rate top of the line detectors! ..good luck!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom