Had a really nice find...very special to me.

KCK

I couldn't wait to share it, but I had to do the research on it first.
Apparently it's a non commissioned Officers Buckle.
I'll post a pic soon at the bottom. I found a pic on Ebay very similar cept' one difference. The Buckle I found was identical to this one, the difference is speculation on my part and my wife's part, she helped with two days of research.
The reason we wanted to do such extensive research is because the find came from a school yard near us by Big Walnut Creek. Which would be like a freeway to soilders in the 1830's.
When I first heard the sound in the ear phones it wasn't normal, I'll admit I have been switching detectors a lot lately and I may have decided to dig this up because of the strangeness of the sounds rather than the VDI read.

The detector: this time a GTI 2500, The place a local school yard, I have hunted to death. Been over this ground before with several other detectors. This time the sound stopped me and I dug, I dug 61/2 inches and out comes this buckle.
The wife and I decided to go hunt just before dark, we thought we got 10-20 minutes max...let's go she said and we did.
So when I found this buckle it was just dark enough to use my LED Night Vision lights I mounted on the detector for just this purpose.

When I first brushed the heavy soil from the buckle I thought man this a thin buckle, I'm used to seeing my own heavy buckle that I'm so used to seeing. Then as I brushed the dirt away some more I had this overwhelming feeling that I was holding a gift. Oh my God I said to my wife this feels really strange and so good.
I walked over to give her a look also. She brushed a little more dirt from the latch in the back of the buckle, Humm.. no china mark ...How deep she said, 6 1/2 I answered. Good Lord this is real Ted!
Naw it can't be real honey we're at a school some kid lost it!

Obviously you've figured out by now that this was my first real buckle find right? :roll:

I can't pass over that feeling when I first touched that buckle....I'm not saying that it's the most special find in the world, we've found nice stuff before, but the touch of this relic was warm.

Guys...I've ID'ed it I believe it's authentic, it was damaged, bent hard, by a blow from a gun butt or sword, or who really knows the answer...
It felt good coming out of the ground, I can't explain it any more special than that, I just don't have the words. But maybe some you that have been honored by these finds can understand what I'm trying to say.

I also found the identical buckle for sale on Ebay with 2 days left it's at $100.00. This one will never be for sale, Who ever owned it was special, and it's my best find to date in meaning. I've found dollar value rings 1400.00 and 1500.00 and return a set of 6500.00 rings.
But now touched me like this one did! Sorry for going on so long.

So here it is....I'm calling it "Wounded Soilders Buckle" May have been
in a battle, and as hard as the buckle was hit may very well have been a mortal wound. God I hope not! But that feeling was hard to overcome. This one will not ever be for sale but it will be respected and honored in my home!
What a great hobby, What a great feeling.

Thanks for letting me share this with you guys.

KCK~Doing the Happy Dance~

Attachments

• NCO Buckle Recovered DEC1 20061.jpg
    NCO Buckle Recovered DEC1 20061.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 213
awesome...

this is a little off topic, but whats your opinion of that GTI 2500? I've always been kind of interested in them because of how they give the ID read-out but you dont run into too many people who own or use them so its kind of hard to form an overall impression of it

DANG!!!! That is fantastic. And a good write up on the story too, it had ME excited just reading it. Yeah, hang on to that buckle, and show it off often! Congrats

Great storie,
I only hope for a find like yours , your story pulled me into just a tid bit of the feeling it must be good job.
I won't even ask for this one (maybe your next) :grin:

Awsome find. Looks just like mine. I can tell you I freaked when I found mine as well because someone had deserted the hole they had started and this was still down at 10 inches. I kept saying "THank you GOd", and "Unbelievable" all the way home. Great job! I see them on relic sites usually over $500 and almost always sold.

Oh, man. I'd give my eye teeth (if I still had them :lol: ) to find something like that! Wonderful accomplishment! There's a lot to be said for digging 'iffy' signals, isn't there? Way to go, Ted!

KCK, it's a beautiful find, and a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Trudy

It felt good coming out of the ground, I can't explain it any more special than that, I just don't have the words.

Boy don't we know the feeling! Thats what has hooked most of us and everybody sooner or later.

That is a great buckle. I've only found 1 US oval and it too was bent in half but it was a special find none the less.

Good job KCK finding the buckle and wanting to keep is as treasure.

Well done on your find. That is a very special buckle and you will remember it as long as you live. :shock: :wow: :lol: Hey, Rusty didn't ask for it, he must have been impressed :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom