• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cache hunting with a divining rod.....

30U Plymouth

Elite Member
I've been researching old newspapers for clues to lost caches and treasures.
Anyway, I have read about old timers using a divining rod to hunt for buried silver or gold.
Has anyone else ever hear of this?
Has anyone ever tried this?

Here is part of a story from an old newspaper that goes into some detail about using a divining rod to hunt for a cache of silver coins.....

But how did they find the right place to dig? George Emerson, 60, one of the six men still working on the heavily guarded job, is known in the camp as a "diviner". It was with a divining rod that he located the treasure, the men said. Emerson, a slightly balding, chunky man, demonstrated the divining rod for the Daily Press staffer Friday night. Here's how the divining rod functions, according to Emerson. Divining rods are used primarily to locate water underground, but only persons with a God-given gift have the power to be diviners, Emerson said. First, a diviner takes a stick about three or four feet long and stands erect holding the small limber end of the stick just at his forehead, so that the heavy end falls and forming a horizontal line to the rear. Then, the diviner's power comes into play. The stick will swing to the direction where water is located. Next, the diviner takes a forked stick and bends the two fork ends in his hands, so that the stick is shaped much like a stethoscope. Then, the diviner walks slowly in the direction of the underground stream. When the stream is reached, the stick turns directly toward the ground from its former horizontal position, Emerson said. Having located the stream, the diviner then takes the straight stick and holds it horizontally about six inches above the ground. Then, Emerson says, the stick begins counting the number of feet it is to the well. The counting is done as the stick bobs vertically. Emerson used a peach stick to demonstrate for us.
Now in order to hunt treasure with a divining rod, the divining rod, the diviner must "kill the water's affect on the rod," Emerson said. This is done by using two pairs of heavy water soaked gloves, he added. When searching for gold or silver, the divining rod is slit at the end not held by the diviner and a small piece of gold or silver is inserted in the slit. Emerson says this is done because a large treasure will attract the small piece in the diving rod. He declined to say what he used at the treasurer site, but illustrated with a half dollar.

I did a research paper in college on this very subject. I am still clueless!!! Some people swear that it works, while others say its as looney as Elmer Fudd matching wits with Bugs Bunny.Even after extensive research I couldnt reach any logical conclusion in either direction, and my physics professor agreed.To be honest, I think if this had any real credibility Minelab would be selling a Twig Trac.:lol: I think I would have to be able to hide an item of value first hand and watch the accuracy of the dowser to make me a believer.:grin:

I remember as a kid, a man using a "Y" shaped stick to determine where my dad should put down a well in order to get good water.

We had good water after that, but I'm not sure it was because of the man's stick.

I don't believe it at all. There is no scientific basis for it to work and every time they actually test people in a scientific manner they diviners have trouble finding the targets.

Somewhere here on the forum there is a thread discussing divining rods. The part of the story that I found interesting was the bobbing of the rod to illustrate the number of feet down to the water. If you dig deep enough, you'll find water just about anywhere, but it adds some credibility to the claim when the guy can tell how deep and be accurate. That is definitely something that could be measured for accuracy. The "water is here" part is a lot harder to measure.

I've seen two metal rods used to find other metal. When the rods crossed, the metal was directly below them. I'm an open-minded skeptic. I may have witnessed the real deal or it may have been a really cool con. Either way it was a good showing.

I was at a national treasure hunting convention several years ago, and one of the hunts was for dowsers. No detectors allowed. About fifty people participated, using everything from bent sticks to Anderson rods to electronic long-range locators costing thousands of dollars.

Results: One guy found one coin.

And I'm sure that was just due to the fact that if you have fifty guys digging randomly for an hour in a small field that has been planted with coins, somebody is gonna find something by pure chance.

Very interesting.......
I never believed in this stuff, but was wondering about this because it seems like a lot of folks may have believed in the past.

another aspect of this topic is map dowsing using a pendulum...
I like a bit of mystery in the world, keeps things interesting and makes for good entertainment.

Does anyone have a success story using these "unorthodox" methods?

I don't care what anybody says, I use two brass rods to locate underground wires and pipes. Even after the locaters come out and paint lines I still go through my little dance across the property where I am digging. I trust my two brass rods alot more than there paint marks. Been doing it that way for years and it has served me very well. The one time I didn't have them with me I hit a 4" gas main. The paint marks were 11' off.

I don't care what anybody says, I use two brass rods to locate underground wires and pipes. Even after the locaters come out and paint lines I still go through my little dance across the property where I am digging. I trust my two brass rods alot more than there paint marks. Been doing it that way for years and it has served me very well. The one time I didn't have them with me I hit a 4" gas main. The paint marks were 11' off.

Hey if it works for you (WTXdigger) that's all that matters!

A picture of your rods would be interesting...also, have you ever used them to locate lost or misplaced items?

The best *scientific* theory about why dowsing *seems* to work is similar to going to a thoroughbred track, reading the racing form, watching the horses in the paddock getting saddled, then getting a "hunch" about a horse, which ends up (sometimes) winning the race. Your hunch was the result of knowledge you gathered and put together subconsciously, not your ability to predict the future. Your faith in your horse race hunches gets stronger because you tend to forget the times that your hunch didn't win.

In a similar way, the dowser uses his knowledge about the possible location of a pipe, etc., along with visual clues, and subconsciously uses the info to decide where the pipe is. This is then translated on a subconscious level into hand movements which make his willow sticks or metal rods move at the appropriate point. The dowser's faith in his ability is strengthened because he forgets his failures, and remembers only the successes. The important thing is that to the dowser, it really seems that some force is pulling on those sticks or rods.

I favor this theory rather than the existence of some undiscovered force which acts on the sticks or rods. But what you believe is your own business.

another aspect of this topic is map dowsing using a pendulum...
I like a bit of mystery in the world, keeps things interesting and makes for good entertainment.

Does anyone have a success story using these "unorthodox" methods?

This reminds me of something my grand-mother (1/4 Crow Indian) used to do.
Women who were going to have a baby would come to her to see if they were going to have a boy or girl.
This was many years ago, before utlra-sound was being used to determine the sex of a baby before it was born.

Anyway, she would take a penny (not zinc) and tie it to an 18" piece of cotton string.
The penny was tied in a way so that it would lay flat as she held the other end of the string.
She would then hold it over the stomach of the pregant woman to determine if the baby was going to be male or female.
If the penny went in a circle it was going to be a girl and if the penny would swing like a pendulum then it was going to be a boy.
I don't ever remember her getting it wrong:?:.

Has anyone else ever hear of this?

I purchaded a machine called the omni range master. It uses dowsing rods as a recovery method. It is suposed to function on molecular resonation principles. Every mineral has its own frequency that causes it to resonate on a molecular level. This is how a Quarts watch works. the resonation is so constant you can keep time off it. Well I looked at it for a year before finally taking the demo and every controled test we did it worked. so I purchased it to hunt a treasure I had been researching. I found a full blooded Indian to invite me to the reservation to search for this treasure. On the first day I found a mine that was still being worked by its owner the next day a nice quarts outcroping. But this was not what I was looking for. So we set up at another local and I got a great signal, right on the old shore line where the massicre would have taken place. Unfortunatly before I could get to the end of the signal We were forced to leave by the reservation police. The only reason I was able to keep my equipment was due to the fact I was there with a member of the tribe. I was told I had to have councle permission to hunt and no way would they give it to me. Ok back to the subject. I have seen double blind tests on dowseing and no one does better than random chance. But this machine is supposed to cause the mineral to resonate which is supposed to cause the mineral to put off a harmonic radio signal that the dowsing rods pick up. I have taken a pipe run it in the ground 10 feet using watter and sent samples down on a string and in every case I pick them up and can tell the depth. In the feild their is usually something in the way of where it tells me. I did pick a spot to dredge with it and it was the best spot I ever hit. Now I find out the guy who sold it to me is in court and the judge wants scientifically proven data the machine works. He will except no testimonials or demonstrations. So bassically he is going to jail as no one has been able to prove dowsing. Maybe I got ripped off but the machine seems to work for me. I should get out and use it more but it requires two people to run it and people look at me like Im crazy when I talk about it and maybe I was for buying it in the first place. Here is a pic of the machine so you dont think Im making it up.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Anyone want to go cache hunting?:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• 0506101650.jpg
    0506101650.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 6,066
  • 0506101653.jpg
    0506101653.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 5,568
I've Seen It

My main water line went bad and they had to replace it. One of the local guys was not sure where the main line ran. He went to his truck and grabbed a couple of metal rods - bent in an "L" shap. He started walking and low and behold they started reacting. He said - bad news it is under your drive way. He was working on some big projects so he couldn't do the job. The next guy comes in and starts to work and said the main line ought to follow this path. Was he ever wrong - it was exaclty where the first guy said it would be. The 2nd guy dug a big hole and finally found where it went into the house - it had to be replaced.

There is another story about this guy in in Kansas who finds oil & gas wells using this method. I didn't believe it at first but talked to this other person who has no reason to tell me a lie. He goes out with this person - just one of a few who the guy will take in his truck. He says he has the rods hooked up in some manner and sure enough finds wells. At one stretch they hit 30 straight. Not talking about big gushers either but they produce.

Don't know one way or the other ... but do know what I saw.

KC

Back
Top Bottom