T. rex scoops?

One of the forum members gave me a T-Rex 9.5 when I first started. It's a little heavy. I used it for about five years and it has been repaired/welded a couple times. Ron has since put stabilizer bars on the T-Rex which should help with repairs, but may add even more weight. I mostly use a Stealth 920 now, but it has bent too. I've still got the T-Rex. I like it. Good scoop.

R5

Its a good scoop but heavy. I have to recommend one with larger holes though cause wet sand etc won't go through my holes very well. If I used it in the water it would be less of a problem. I should have got one with half inch or five eights holes.:crybaby:

One of the forum members gave me a T-Rex 9.5 when I first started. It's a little heavy. I used it for about five years and it has been repaired/welded a couple times. Ron has since put stabilizer bars on the T-Rex which should help with repairs, but may add even more weight. I mostly use a Stealth 920 now, but it has bent too. I've still got the T-Rex. I like it. Good scoop.

R5
Did it taake long to bend your 920 ? I just ordered one. Man are they expensive.

If I could cuss on this forum I'd give you a GREAT opinion. Since I can't I can give you a watered down one. "They suck in a number of ways!"
1. The welds are cosmetic and structurally junk.
2. They are HEAVY.
3. Their warranty is non-existent

Backstory:
I bought a 9.5 because I wanted what I thought was a tough and solid product. It lasted for about 6 months. It cracked while digging in wet sand. I got a good solid dig went to pull it up and SNAP! Damn it! I was only about 20 minutes into a dedicated all nighter 60 miles from home. The night was shot.
The next day I called the website's customer service number. I got a guy on the phone who had a lot of noise in the back ground including a baby crying. I explained what happened and in a nutshell he called me a liar (not in so many words). He said that he had NEVER heard of that happening and I must be twisting the truth. Excuse me?! was the response. He said, go ahead and return it to their company on my dime, then they would look at it, and if it was repairable that they would send it to their welder on my dime and then send it back to me on my dime. This is where I'd like to be able to cuss on this website once again. I said screw off.
I went to a local welder and had it welded up for 40.00. Two months later it cracked at another location. To add to this, a buddy of mine also cracked his shortly after and got a similar story..
I went to a Stealth and it's been a BEAST... AND they have a no questions asked one time replacement policy.
Just look at the welds on my failure and if you have the slightest knowledge of welding, (I DO) you'll see that they are complete junk with zero penetration.

Attachments

• 20150707_094614.jpg
    20150707_094614.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 20150707_094627.jpg
    20150707_094627.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 421
Basicly its a ProScoop with the handle on top instead of the back. Originally designed by Steve in MI who passed away. 1/4 holes so you have to consider the type of material you will be sifting. Even here in Fl ..... mine would fill with small shells.... ugh.... and yes that baby is HEAVY. You are dealing with a shovel style nose as well..... could be hard to get into hard pan.

Did it taake long to bend your 920 ? I just ordered one. Man are they expensive.

I've had it since August 2016. It bent in fall 2018. There was gravel about four inches under the sand. I also use hard rubber-soled boots on the beach. It's not bad, it still works, but I think it's getting worse. I'm sure Chuck would fix it, but then it would cost me shipping. I would rather send it to him when it really needs repair.

YOUR SCOOP IS NOT A PRY BAR!

If the scoop isn't going all the way into the ground, work it side to side while applying some weight to the back. Don't force it.

When you're ready to pull the full scoop out of the ground, take your foot completely off the back.

R5

If I could cuss on this forum I'd give you a GREAT opinion. Since I can't I can give you a watered down one. "They suck in a number of ways!"
2. They are HEAVY.

Backstory:
I bought a 9.5 because I wanted what I thought was a tough and solid product. It lasted for about 6 months. It cracked while digging in wet sand. I got a good solid dig went to pull it up and SNAP! Damn it! I was only about 20 minutes into a dedicated all nighter 60 miles from home. The night was shot.
The next day I called the website's customer service number. I got a guy on the phone who had a lot of noise in the back ground including a baby crying. I explained what happened and in a nutshell he called me a liar (not in so many words). He said that he had NEVER heard of that happening and I must be twisting the truth. Excuse me?! was the response. He said, go ahead and return it to their company on my dime, then they would look at it, and if it was repairable that they would send it to their welder on my dime and then send it back to me on my dime. This is where I'd like to be able to cuss on this website once again. I said screw off.
I went to a local welder and had it welded up for 40.00. Two months later it cracked at another location. To add to this, a buddy of mine also cracked his shortly after and got a similar story..
I went to a Stealth and it's been a BEAST... AND they have a no questions asked one time replacement policy.
Just look at the welds on my failure and if you have the slightest knowledge of welding, (I DO) you'll see that they are complete junk with zero penetration.

I can only say this has not been my experience. Not with the scoop, quality, or customer service at Gold Digger. I did need to have it welded, but it was because I used it to pry rocks... several rocks.
R5

I use the T-Rex and love it. My first one split open and they replaced it with the newer version. My second one split open ( Because I think everything heavy that I run into is a ship wreck and I try to pry it out with the scoop ) :laughing: and Itsaring welded it back for me and it's never split again. Itsaring also bought me a carbon fiber shaft for it as I broke 3 wooden handles in it because I water hunt and they eventually rot. The carbon fiber shaft has never broken. Yes the whole set up is a bit heavy but I love the scoop. I would love to try a lighter one someday if finances ever allow.

Wish someone would take a pic of me on the beach using my T-Rex and take pitty on me and post about it and buy me a lighter scoop. That happened to some girl once and man did I envy her :P :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I bought a scoop from a company in FL. Worked well until the rear support above the foot spot broke. The rest of the scoop is fine. It's cheaper for me to pay a local to weld it up.

Split at the seams is a different problem. No scoop should do that and mine has not and I use it alot.

I'd take a rock solid sand scoop that is guaranteed not to break over something that is light.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

2. They are HEAVY.

Backstory:

Heres a pic of my newer improved scoop with welded sides, I still would rather have a lighter scoop, maybe Rtg.

Attachments

• 20190303_075142.jpg
    20190303_075142.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Why didn’t they or your friend weld the complete side seams?

If that's a question to me, the weld shop did do a complete repair. After a few months it started to crack at the very top.
After having that scoop and then going to a Stealth I'd NEVER EVER go back. Half the weight and x2 the strength. Yes 1.5x the cost but it's worth it ....Any anyone who knows me knows I don't abuse but I do use my equipment so there was no dang excuse for that thing to fail like that. And even though it did it was more bitter to be treated in such a way. I'll never buy a product from TRex again.

Scoop strength

We all know that we put a lot of force on a scoop. The long handle really adds a lot of leverage.

So the design is critical: Strong and light weight (basically impossible).

You can obtain strength due to design or using a lot of thick metal. I have always tried to design in strength. Sunspot Stealth does have a few failures when used by Gorillas :p

The problem is why make it stronger (heavier) for the 2% of hunters that simply pull back too hard?

I am of the opinion the Stealth will give you the best balance of strength and light weight.

I fought weight for years trying to cut and ounce or two here and there but really cut the weight buy going to the Carbon Fiber handle. Our handle sales are on fire (once the word got out, it is not a necessity).

Chuck

We all know that we put a lot of force on a scoop. The long handle really adds a lot of leverage.

So the design is critical: Strong and light weight (basically impossible).

You can obtain strength due to design or using a lot of thick metal. I have always tried to design in strength. Sunspot Stealth does have a few failures when used by Gorillas :p

The problem is why make it stronger (heavier) for the 2% of hunters that simply pull back too hard?

I am of the opinion the Stealth will give you the best balance of strength and light weight.

I fought weight for years trying to cut and ounce or two here and there but really cut the weight buy going to the Carbon Fiber handle. Our handle sales are on fire (once the word got out, it is not a necessity).

Chuck

Chuck,
I am your gorilla,,,,,,:laughing:Yes, I am the only person who could break a stealth 3 times!!!!!,,,,,but you took care of it and replaced them,,,,,since you added the two supports in the back, I have not had a problem since and don't expect to,,,,,I love the Stealth and love the fact that you stand behind your work,,,,GL HH

I bought one about six years ago. It was an original before he put in another piece to stabilize the scoop. Welds started cracking after about a year. I called Ron and he said send it to me. Even though the one year warranty had expired he had it repaired, added the new brace and paid shipping back to me.

It is a bit on the heavy side but no further trouble since it was updated. During most of the year I spend at least two days a week at the beach detecting. The scoop has dug many thousands of holes in the sand.

Wood handles usually lasted my a couple months and would break mid hunt. Every scoop I use I've had to re-weld the joints. Cherry hot. Adds a few ounces weight but they don't fail. I just need to worry about the lip hitting rocks now.
I use the cf travel shaft off ebay. Unbreakable, fits in the car easily, and at an unbelievable price.

Chuck,
I am your gorilla,,,,,,:laughing:Yes, I am the only person who could break a stealth 3 times!!!!!,,,,,but you took care of it and replaced them,,,,,since you added the two supports in the back, I have not had a problem since and don't expect to,,,,,I love the Stealth and love the fact that you stand behind your work,,,,GL HH
:wow: Wow Tim, I thought I was a gorilla since I went through my Stealth once and had 2 CF shafts break before Chuck worked some magic on them. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom