Me and Van Buren at the Beach

TNTGross

Elite Member
So today I took the Nox to the beach for the third time. I was in the "kiddy pool" area at low tide hunting in knee-deep water when I got a good deep signal. After a lot of scooping, I pulled out a Van Buren $1 coin. When I looked at it, I had no idea what I was looking at. I had never seen one before. I had to google it to see if it was real.

I also found the plane, but that was an eyeball find. I only took it because I didn't want some poor soul to step on it and get hurt.

The leaf ear-ring was a letdown. I think at one time it was gold plated, but as I rubbed it, all the gold came off. The loop ear-ring is obviously junk.

I think my best find of the day was the Sand Dollar. For all the times I have gone to the beach hunting shells and shark teeth, I have never come across a non-broken sand dollar. This one was laying by itself on the sand begging for me to take it home. So I did.

Sad to say, but I had no luck finding any silver or gold. As a matter of fact, I had a hard time finding anything at all. Come to find out, they just finished dredging and replenishing the beach with 6 to 12 inches of new sand.

Still, it was a fun hunt on a beautiful day at the beach.

Attachments

• van buren 01.jpg
    van buren 01.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 516
  • Van Buren 02.jpg
    Van Buren 02.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 471
  • Van Buren 03.jpg
    Van Buren 03.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 482
Hey,you got a MVB good going!I happen to be a proud graduate of Martin Van Buren HS Queens NYC,the only US high school named after this great president!

Here I thought the title was more akin to “me and my van down at the beach” and I was thinking, “man, now there the life!” :lol:

Dollar coins always a nice find, for sure :thumbsup:

Hate to admit it, but I didn't even know who Van Buren was when I found this coin. I had heard the name before of course, but I had no idea why. This little coin gave me an education. Had to look him up and did a bit of reading about him.

Thanks to this thread, I had to look up Armin Van Buuren... And no... I do not ever see myself listening to him. Blah, blah, blah. Not on my Spotify list.

That's what I say. I have never heard about Van Buren before but I have heard about Van Buuren from my son. That is one of the reasons why our hobby is so cool. We are pushed to learn new things after we discover physical object that make us ask questions.

Congrats

Nice finds, i also found a sand dollar un broken a few years ago, cool dollar, found a Susan B a few years back , good job, happy hunting.

I hit a spot at a local beach that nearly every target that I dug in the water had a sand dollar or two in the scoop. Only happened that one time. I do love finding the occasional dollar coin. Sure adds up faster than digging Felix Pennies.

Found a 2000 Sacagawea Coin at Redondo Beach in Jan.

One of the side bars of metal detecting is looking this stuff and learning something every once in a while.....then forgetting it again...

Back
Top Bottom