A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ROOKiE WATER HUNTERS

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
The fact that I'm even posting this irritates me but it is worth mentioning so you don't end up a member of the "don't let this happen to you crowd" like I just did.

So as a water hunting rookie, I'd say the #1 mistake people make aside from cheaping out on scoops/equipment is that they swing too fast. Going from hunting the dirt with my XP Deus, I was used to a much faster swing speed, lighter weight machine and no water resistance. I slowed my swing down by a good 50% when I got into water hunting but even that is too fast. So, I went out with Bruce last Friday for a night hunt. My battery crapped out early (another rookie mistake not charging the night before a hunt) leaving me frantically trying to cover as much ground as possible so as not to let the awesome negative tide go to waste. 2hrs of that and I literally could not pick my swinging arm up. The pain was insane. The next morning even worse. I took a week off and it started to feel better but like all Pirates, I want that gold and don't know when to call it quits. I went out again this weekend and made it worse. I swung too fast, in the water combined with the heavier machine and water resistance, ended up sidelined. Now even moving at a snail pace freakin kills!

The pain was so intense when I got up this morning that I had to see a doctor, only to find out it's tendinitis/bursitis. I'm told anywhere from a month (if I stop detecting completely) to 6 months. My elbow is full of fluid and just moving it sends numbing pain down to my hand.

I've had some weeks where I've spent 25-35hrs detecting and never had elbow/joint pain. This was from swinging too fast and now my water hunting might be over for the year :( (conveniently on the day my Excal Sword arrived in the mail)

Let that be a lesson to anyone just getting into the water. You'd think this would not need to be stated but perhaps it does. Dont' be an idiot like me and
SLOW DOWN!

Thanks for the PSA, Swinglow!

From what I understand, Excals have to be swung slower, so that alone is a good reason to slow down. Don't push the coil any faster than it wants to go through the water, for sure!

Can you switch arms and keep swinging? I know that it's awkward at first, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. I do that with my APT when I have the standard coil on, because it's so heavy. Helps a lot.

Heal fast, take lots of Motrin, and get back out there!

I feel your pain.
I lost 4 months to recovery. Now I waist or chest mount and switch hands often
(while detecting). :D Digging weak side was a challenge for awhile.
Hope you recover faster than I did.

Good luck on the recovery , hope it goes by quick for you .AND ,,if you'd like someone to take and break in that Sword for you , just call me , anything to help out a fellow digger ,,,:D

Maybe Bruce will read this George.. I told him taking a week off is not enough... his arm is still tender...

a few things bro

1st sorry to here about your elbow, 2nd get a fast charger, you charge it before every hunt , not the night before, it down charges, last I try to tell you all hard heads, behind the elbow is the way to go, less stress on the arm, its all about balance , plain and simple, happy hunting, Earl

My kids hate when I say this..... "Well let me say this about that".... I've been suffering with the swing arm elbow tendonitis/bursitis all year long, just recently, my swing arm is about 95% but now, I've just about blown out my left digging elbow..... to much digging and trying to lift the full scoop with one arm..... not a rookie mistake, just a boneheaded thing to do that now I have no choice but to let go of the detector and help out with the lifting.... be careful there..... seriously, ice after hunting and a few more times a day IF you can will help immensely. IF you don't stop pushing it, you will end up regretting it. You just have to keep telling yourself it isn't a race, the guys in front of you will not get it all...
As for switching arms.....well for me, I don't want to look anymore the fool that I already look like......:laughing: I'm about the biggest, clumsiest guy in the water.
Good luck with the arm!
Cliff

Oh man does this post bring back memories of my first and second season!

I had tendonitis in both elbows from pushing myself and not backing off when the soreness came and I paid for it. I had braces on both arms all the time I wasn't in the water. It took all winter to heal them, this year I'm more careful.

Here's what I do now to avoid the tendon pain.

1) I got a cheap exercise bike from a resale shop, the one where you pedal and pump your arms back and forth. I rode that for 1/2 hour 5 or 6 days a week all winter.

2) I got one of those squeeze ball hand exercisers and I keep it right in my car. I squeeze the thing palm up and palm down, arm in and arm extended for around 10 minutes on my way to a hunting spot. I change hands so both arms get it evenly.

That's it, no problems what so ever this year.

Oh man does this post bring back memories of my first and second season!

I had tendonitis in both elbows from pushing myself and not backing off when the soreness came and I paid for it. I had braces on both arms all the time I wasn't in the water. It took all winter to heal them, this year I'm more careful.

Here's what I do now to avoid the tendon pain.

1) I got a cheap exercise bike from a resale shop, the one where you pedal and pump your arms back and forth. I rode that for 1/2 hour 5 or 6 days a week all winter.

2) I got one of those squeeze ball hand exercisers and I keep it right in my car. I squeeze the thing palm up and palm down, arm in and arm extended for around 10 minutes on my way to a hunting spot. I change hands so both arms get it evenly.

That's it, no problems what so ever this year.

Some of the problem is from tightly gripping the handle to force it through the water and keep control of the coil. Finger extension exercises work wonders too. As simple as getting a wide rubber band and weaving it around the fingers, bending the wrist up and down as you extend your fingers against the rubber band.
The tight grip will also lead to trigger finger which is common with tennis elbow....IF I make a fist, I have trouble getting my hand to open again due to the locking fingers.

The fact that I'm even posting this irritates me but it is worth mentioning so you don't end up a member of the "don't let this happen to you crowd" like I just did.

So as a water hunting rookie, I'd say the #1 mistake people make aside from cheaping out on scoops/equipment is that they swing too fast. Going from hunting the dirt with my XP Deus, I was used to a much faster swing speed, lighter weight machine and no water resistance. I slowed my swing down by a good 50% when I got into water hunting but even that is too fast. So, I went out with Bruce last Friday for a night hunt. My battery crapped out early (another rookie mistake not charging the night before a hunt) leaving me frantically trying to cover as much ground as possible so as not to let the awesome negative tide go to waste. 2hrs of that and I literally could not pick my swinging arm up. The pain was insane. The next morning even worse. I took a week off and it started to feel better but like all Pirates, I want that gold and don't know when to call it quits. I went out again this weekend and made it worse. I swung too fast, in the water combined with the heavier machine and water resistance, ended up sidelined. Now even moving at a snail pace freakin kills!

The pain was so intense when I got up this morning that I had to see a doctor, only to find out it's tendinitis/bursitis. I'm told anywhere from a month (if I stop detecting completely) to 6 months. My elbow is full of fluid and just moving it sends numbing pain down to my hand.

I've had some weeks where I've spent 25-35hrs detecting and never had elbow/joint pain. This was from swinging too fast and now my water hunting might be over for the year :( (conveniently on the day my Excal Sword arrived in the mail)

Let that be a lesson to anyone just getting into the water. You'd think this would not need to be stated but perhaps it does. Dont' be an idiot like me and
SLOW DOWN!

I don't mean to bum you out but I've had tendonitis in my shoulder for over 2 years now. I should have gone away on it's own long ago but...repetitive motion (swing a coil) keeps the irritation fresh. Allegedly it would/could go away if I stop for a couple of months or so. Nah!

Man sorry to hear that swing. But thanks for the heads up. Im actually gonna try water hunting this weekend if the weather permits. Ill def keep it slow. Get well so you can back to that GOLD!:shock:

The tight grip will also lead to trigger finger which is common with tennis elbow....IF I make a fist, I have trouble getting my hand to open again due to the locking fingers.

Got that and carpal tunnel again. Already had surgery once:shock:

I feel your pain... ive had it for the last year...thought it was just sore muscles 1st time i got it but pain was sharper ...lots of good advice here and i applaud you for putting it out there so others can learn from our mistake...mine eventually got worse then went into both elbows even though i was taken it easy...i was able to work through it and finally during the summer it let up to the point i almost forgot i had it.then fall beach hunting season started...i did what others mentioned, just switch hands every so often ...ive been lucky this fall so far..ive got some of the pain back but no where near as bad as it was... one thing not metioned that helps me is i keep my elbows bent at night when i sleep.. one guy on other treasure site said he had gotten steroid shots as treatment...he said it very painful for a few days but it did the trick for him.... i wish you a speedy recovery...

I hunted about 3 times a week this last summer - almost every other day. I developed "trigger finger" on my right pinky and left ring finger. I have seen the trainer at my high school and started therapy for it.

Sorry about the elbow. I am just getting in to water hunting. And got an Excal man is that coil heavy. A straight shaft is definitely in the near future. Thanks for the advise about the slow swing. Hope the elbow gets better soon.

Let me tell you my story

I am now in therapy for the Achilles tendon on my left heal, I pulled it metal detecting last year. That is the foot I dig with, I kept on hunting and worked my way around the pain, it finally got so tender I couldn't stand it any more.
Went to the therapist, he measured my calves and the left one is 1 inch smaller than the right. He immediately asked what I was doing and for how long have I been favoring my left leg.
What could I say, other than how dumb is dumb.
I am headed South in Jan. for 6 weeks, I want to have my left leg in shape so I can dig in the sand. On my return I plan on returning to therapy for my collapsed disc, "Nutall scoop", wet sand is heavy.:no:

Gerry

You could be back in 6 months as long as you stop irritating it.Y'all need to start listening to your body....it will never lie to you. Feel better.....

George that's why I'm stickin to dirt hunting. There is no water force against your body making you sore. Take some motrin and stay loose for a few days you'll be ok. This is why they call it the dark side. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom