Dime Trifecta on the beach!

SalemScott

Forum Supporter
So back to the beach I went today with hopes that the gold gods would be willing to share their wealth. I got there and it wasn't looking good. There were small puddles all over the place which exposed some of the rocks so I hopped around from puddle to puddle looking for the shiny stuff. The closest thing to gold I got was a small ring marked '14k gold shell'. The solid gold still eludes me but I was able to get the dime trifecta, which included a 1914 barber and the most worn merc I've ever seen.. If I remember correctly it rang up just above a nickel. I also pulled a buffalo nickel and a pretty cool broach. Just before leaving I see a guy walking towards me with a smile and got to meet PeabodyJim, whom I believe goes by JimC now (I think that's what he said his new name was.) It started to rain so we headed towards the cars and hung out for a bit chatting. He had better luck than me today wherever it was that he went, showing me a couple of nice pieces of gold. It was a pleasure meeting you Jim, feel free to join me anytime you drive by and see me digging. Hopefully the coming week moves some of that sand off my beach...I need a gold fix.:yes:

PC010016.JPG

PC010017.JPG

PC010018.JPG

Very nice work there!!

That is the most toasted merc ever posted I could only imagine!! It is really cool though, especially because you can still tell what it is/was. :laughing:

Very cool, congrats on the trifecta!

<*)))>{

Congrats on that dime trifecta. That poor Ms. Merc. is only a shadow of her former self! I don't think I've ever seen one so eaten up. She looks like a cut out coin. It's no wonder she rang up so different. Be happy you saved her before she disappeared altogether. : ) Good luck on future hunts.

The other crazy thing is the oldest coin you posted is the one in the best condition... :cool:

Thanks for sharing!

<*)))>{

Congrats on that dime trifecta. That poor Ms. Merc. is only a shadow of her former self! I don't think I've ever seen one so eaten up. She looks like a cut out coin. It's no wonder she rang up so different. Be happy you saved her before she disappeared altogether. : ) Good luck on future hunts.
Thanks, it's funny you mention the cut-out coins. As I was cleaning it I pulled out my loupe to make sure it wasn't a cut-out.:laughing:

The other crazy thing is the oldest coin you posted is the one in the best condition... :cool:

Thanks for sharing!

<*)))>{
The condition of the barber is odd, it's the only coin I could make out the date. :yes:

So... what is the scrap value of those dimes :D Still fun to find congrats :)

At current rates...$2.01.:laughing: I want to insert a video clip from The Chappelle Show here but I think it would be unacceptable language for the forum.:D "I'm rich b....!":laughing:

PC010019.JPG

those coins are BEAT UP! man, makes you wonder about some old golds hiding around them,,,,too bad on the gold wanna be,,,,,GL HH

I thought silver coins do not deteriorate, why does salt water eat them up like zinc pennies?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Silver coins get tarnished and ate in salt water and in a lot of fresh water lakes. Silver turns to oxide and slowly gets ate away. I have found plenty of silver coins in fresh water that were caked with black crud and when you break it off there is nothing left of the coin. Happens in muck around roots the most. In sand not so much.

Good to meet you also Scott. Great job on a tough beach to hunt and a nice cleanup on that old brooch. H.H Jim.

Back
Top Bottom