Options for digging tools betwee 18" and 31"?

samandnoah

Forum Supporter
Tapping into the collective wisdom and knowledge here. With some recent rain here (finally!) I'm starting to get some deeper targets. Feels like I could use something bigger and more effective than even my beloved predator raptor. My first thought was to look into the Sampson 18" model which many people seem to love. I also liked the size so that I'm not spooking anyone when I'm in a more visible place.

I checked on pricing with several forum sponsors, and one of them responded that he doesn't carry it anymore because of customer feedback. The summary was that it was too long to use effectively while kneeling, and too short to use effectively while standing. I thought that was interesting and hadn't thought of that (or recall reading that) before.

So I've done a little poking around, though hardly exhaustive, and I'm not finding much between the 18" Sampson and other diggers around 31". Can you guys suggest or recommend any other diggers in a size between those two lengths? I'm below average height (5'6"), and actually have very short legs -- so that 18" Sampson might still work for me. :) But it's a lot of $ to try out without considering some other options.

So what other options should I perhaps consider?

Thanks!
Rich

Get a intrenching tool. It has blade, and a pick that fold up, they come with a pouch. The military [Marines 782 gear] one is what I use for deep objects. Other wise I use a bayonet 6" or 8", or a long 1/4" x 12" screw driver. Round off the blade on the screw driver, to keep form scratching the objects. Good luck.

The Sampson 18 inch all the way !!!

I'am taller then you and I got to tell you, I would not be without the 18 inch Sampson digger ! It is easy to carry on my belt and it is NOT over powering in its looks as a shovel for digging big deep holes at the parks and schools. IMO you can't go wrong with this one.;)

I totally agree with roadapple. I guarantee you will be happy with the 18. I have the 31 also and I don't think I used it more then once or twice. It's way to big to carry in a park. I don't even think twice about carrying the mini into a park. I also have a regular Lesche and I can't remember the last time I used that since I bought the mini. I also completely disagree with the comment you wrote from one of the sponsors. I have a bad back and most of the time I will kneel to dig because it's easier when you switch to the PP but I have dug a few times by just bending over. Buy one and you'll never regret it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Encouraging to hear from folks who like the 18".

I will say in defense of the sponsor that he was merely sharing the feedback from customers. He still carries other products from that manufacturer. But he's obviously had to satisfy enough disgruntled customers that he's decided it's not worth carrying. And honestly, he actually never said a negative thing about the 18", just that customer dissatisfaction made him decide not to carry it.

Hope to get more feedback and/or options.
Thanks!
Rich

I vote for 31" or longer. I like the 38" D handle since I'm 6'3".
I would never take the 18, 31 or 38 in a public park. HH, phil

Wilcox 300 is my go-to deep turf tool. The long handle allows you to use both hands for more power cutting your plug. But the real advantage of the long handle is the leverage you get for prying out your plug or removing dirt. Hard to explain but once you try you'll understand. Also it looks more like a hand tool than a shovel in the park.

http://www.wilcoxallpro.com/wilcox3_tools.html

wap_300s.jpg

Last edited:
18" or 31" isn't going to move much more dirt than an raptor! 18" would be pointless IMO if you already have the raptor. If you want get and easy quick 7x7 plug out while standing go with the 31" all the way. Sampson blade is the same size as 2 lesche blades. Not very big. Colonial has a great combo with the Readyshovel. I dread hunting places I can't use it. Love it.

Now if you really want to move dirt and don't mind lugging around get one of the Relic shovels out there. Lesche and Predator tools have several awesome options.

I'am taller then you and I got to tell you, I would not be without the 18 inch Sampson digger ! It is easy to carry on my belt and it is NOT over powering in its looks as a shovel for digging big deep holes at the parks and schools. IMO you can't go wrong with this one.;)

I feel the same way. martin

The Raptor and 18" are killer Combinations !!

18" or 31" isn't going to move much more dirt than an raptor! 18" would be pointless IMO if you already have the raptor. If you want get and easy quick 7x7 plug out while standing go with the 31" all the way. Sampson blade is the same size as 2 lesche blades. Not very big. Colonial has a great combo with the Readyshovel. I dread hunting places I can't use it. Love it.

I have both the raptor model 31 and the Sampson mini 18 inch diggers and I use them together. When the ground is not good and moist for easy digging, using your body weight by stepping on the 18 inch shovel cuts a plug extremely easily. The raptor 31 now becomes the best dirt removal and finish digger available IMO. The combination of the two are very light weight for me to carry as a one-two killer combination. :yes:

I am 6'1" and I have both the 18" and 31" Sampson's. I don't believe that I have used the 31" since I got the other. I wear it on my side, blade up so it doesn't swing while I walk. It isn't as noticeable as a longer shovel. While detecting, my arm usually covers it too. If you ever used one, you would probably never want another style.
MiniT.jpg

I appreciate all of the thoughts & opinions. I think roadapple hit the nail on the head for me -- I love that raptor predator 31 tool, but there are some areas I hunt where the soil is dry, or where there the soil transitions 3"-4" down from decent topsoil to either sandier, rockier, small root infested soil. It's hard to keep getting deeper and creating a decent replaceable plug. That's why I'm looking for something to complement the predator. So I'm not out doing any real relic hunting. It's mostly coins & jewelry in various soils. But it sure would be nice to step down on something to help get good, clean depth.

Icansmellgold -- that's in interesting looking tool. Thanks for posting that, too.

Thanks again!
Rich

" Now your cook'en in peanut oil "

Sampson mini 18 backed with raptor 31 ......... no point and saying any more, other then Happy digging days are here again !!:lol:

"Living the good life"

The Dirt Lizard knows what the killer combo is !!! Happy hunting:yes:

Back
Top Bottom