Using a Probe or screwdriver?

cheaptoad

The probe on Kellyco's site is $15 and a screwdriver is $5. Do I even need a probe?

Never used one. Mostly only used by those that can detect a park but "Not" dig because of rules.

To many places to hunt to put up with that (unless desperate;))

Screwdriver aught to be fine.

i find that i can get most target with a long thin screwdriver unless the target is to deep,like over 21/2 inch's may be 3 or if ground condition are lose, it's easyer to get target's deeper ,less work and why dig a plug unless you have to ,my MD and hand held pinpointer gives me a good idea how deep most of the time and probe ,that just me ,it depends were you hunt what you need and what you use,

I use a brass probe and to be quite honest,I'm completely lost without it.It's one tool i have used over and over again.There's one park that i can only pop coins and such and this probe comes in real handy,couple that with a gasket scraper and i can pop targets down to about 4" with ease,matter of fact i use the probe more than my pin pointer.

I use a brass probe and to be quite honest,I'm completely lost without it.It's one tool i have used over and over again.There's one park that i can only pop coins and such and this probe comes in real handy,couple that with a gasket scraper and i can pop targets down to about 4" with ease,matter of fact i use the probe more than my pin pointer.

Can you give me more info about your tools?

I use a standard Craftsman screwdriver which works great for me. If you don't want to risk scratching targets, then a plug is the best way to go.

If you use a screwdriver, you should grind the end down nice and smooth and round. No sharp corners or edges. A brass screwdriver is better, but then the price goes up for the basic screwdriver.
Welding rod used to be a very common material for probe fabrication.

Probe?

Usually if a target is shallow enough to give a good Pinpointer signal, I just go down beside it with my Fiskars digger to recover it. I wiggle the digger to open a cut often big enough to fit my pinpointer into so I can exactly locate my target, then I can usually reach a finger in and pull the target out. Then I just step the cut closed. I do carry a good sized Craftsman screwdriver because my pouch has a pass thru type Holder for one, but it is just mainly for show. It's a service I do to keep park Rangers and the Police from getting their stress levels up,,,LOL. GL & HH.....Pat

Agree with most post here on using probe for park hunting and coin shooting for clad coins but trust me it all depends on ground conditon on what type of Probe try using that brass probe to pop a coin out in the ground I hunt in here in North Texas with no rain and you will end up with a bent probe thats useless . I myself took a craftsman screwdriver and fashioned it to use cause it gives some heft and want bend . . this is only if I am searching a Park that will mainly be clad coins unless I know for sure there is a possiabilty of older coins could be there and then I do the Plug JMHO

I find a 6"-7" screwdriver good for removing stuff within about 5" of surface. Am trying to figure out what would be the best tool for removing coins deeper than that in parks and schoolyards. I hope to dig fast & deep without damaging property. I also want to dig with a tool that normally does not scratch a coin if it touches it. I think rather than steel, an aluminum alloy digger would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks! George (MN)

I started trying to use a long screwdriver a few years ago to "probe" coins out of the ground. Didnt take me long to cuss the screwdriver and learn to leave it home where it belongs. Now if I cant dig I wont hunt :lol:

I find a 6"-7" screwdriver good for removing stuff within about 5" of surface. Am trying to figure out what would be the best tool for removing coins deeper than that in parks and schoolyards. I hope to dig fast & deep without damaging property. I also want to dig with a tool that normally does not scratch a coin if it touches it. I think rather than steel, an aluminum alloy digger would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks! George (MN)

Since I made this post in the link below, I have seen them for sale Colonial Metal Detectors (other MD places might have them also). I think Wal Mart was cheaper. You don't have to drill holes in it.

I do still carry a Fiskars for digging in hard soil for going deeper.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=167560

A screwdriver is useful for fishing coins from roots and rocks, and especially handy for stirring the dirt when you've cut a 6" deep plug and have 3 inches to go still:lol:...I always carry one.

If somebody gets a chance, could you post a video about how to use a probe to pop out a coin instead of digging a plug? It would really be a help. Maybe I'm being a little dense, but I just can't picture it. Thanks in advance!

If somebody gets a chance, could you post a video about how to use a probe to pop out a coin instead of digging a plug? It would really be a help. Maybe I'm being a little dense, but I just can't picture it. Thanks in advance!

Lots of ways to do it. Best way I can tell you how I do it is if my pistolprobe reaches it, a screwdriver will get it out of the ground. You stick the screwdriver down in the ground until you touch the coin. Rotate the screwdriver to loosen up a coin size patch of dirt above it. Then get the screwdriver under it and pop the edge of the coin up. You can also use a gasket scraper instead of a screwdriver. If the gasket scraper won't go into the ground, a lesche really won't:lol: Just takes practice. After a while you'll dig darn near twice as many targets as you would with a lesche in the same amount of time. And during the heat of summer you won't be leaving dead patches of grass all over the place. If you wanted to you could use a pair of chopsticks after you loosen up the hole. Our grass grows by runners here. 100% of dug grass will burn during summer after the runner is cut. I don't have the time to water the plugs i'd cut for the next two weeks to keep them from turning brown:roll:

Our grass grows by runners here. 100% of dug grass will burn during summer after the runner is cut.

Aha! So that is why I have such a hard time here with some plugs that appeared to be "textbook". Lot of the grass around me has runners, and I did not realize that. Thanks for that tidbit.
Rich

I have those tent stakes from Walmart. They have a nice yellow handle. I use that to probe for the coin and then my screwdriver to pop it our. I like it as a probe because it has a nice handle...

I use a 7-8" screwdriver when I hunt parks where I am not permitted to dig.
Never had a problem with it - pulled out clad and jewelery with it.

I rounded off all the sharp edges before using

Back
Top Bottom