People trying to rip you off while beach hunting!!!

Pull Tab Hunter

I have a newbie question. Maybe this doesn't really happen, but what do you say to people who demand to see if you found their ring they "lost today" on the beach when in fact they're simply trying to rip you off? Do any of you ever get any teenagers or young people who follow you around the water and then say your find is something that belongs to them?

How would you deal with such a scenario? I plan to hunt in relatively safe areas but I wonder how to respond to desperate drug addicts and other aggressive people out to rip hunters off.

I know the first thing would be to ask for a detailed description. What if they say "It's just a mens plain gold wedding ring" and you happen to have found one?

Of course, maybe they really did lose it...

I keep my junk in a separate pocket than good finds and just show them the junk.

What if they see you pull the ring out of your scoop?

I hope this never happens.

Please share your stories and wisdom with me.

Thanks,
PTH

"It costs $1500 to see inside of MY finds pouch... I accept cash or credit card, which will you be paying with today?"

So far no takers for me....

To those who say "If you find a gold ring, it's mine..."

I say "Well, my machine only cost $700 so if you want to pay for Your half of it now...you can have half the finds later."

Again, no takers for me....

Last edited:
I'm sorry, anyone demanding anything of me other than the proper authorities can pound sand:D (lol beach joke)

Be discrete with what you find and like you said you can always show your junk.

Even if I had found a ring I would not admit it. I would offer to keep an eye out for their loss "if" they give a description (including size)and phone number.
You can always return it if you are satisfied with the info.

I'm not heartless, I'll happily sell it back for melt. If there's a real sentimental bond, that's reasonable. Scammers won't pay up, and if anyone actually did, I'd probably just give it back at that point.

I think you are worried about nothing, which is exactly what you found if an idiot is dumb enough to try something like this. When folks ask if I'm finding anything, I show them a pulltab..

First thing, you get your CCP and don't leave home without it! (Concealed Carry Permit)

Personally, I ignore 99% of the people that want to start a dialog and the headphones are great for that, as they start talking to you just keep walking away and they will usually taper off!
HH

I sure wouldn't tolerate much.. If they asked for me to search a certain area to help them locate something they lost I would gladly help but beyond that anything I dig right in front of them or before they showed up is to bad for them unless they can give a VERY GOOD description. Always willing to help but never willing to put up with bs..

I would never show anyone my finds. I talk to friendly people which make up most of the people I encounter. I have had young men throw pennies in front of me. I was young once and I can shake off a joke or two. But my space is my space and I have a big scoop that I will protect myself with. And I always carry a cell phone in a waterproof box.

I think you are worried about nothing, which is exactly what you found if an idiot is dumb enough to try something like this. When folks ask if I'm finding anything, I show them a pulltab..

:yes: PTH, Do this. When stepping on the sand, Put your game :mad: face on and get yourself a one eye patch. :D

I always say "Trash, and not even much of it at that. These conditions are horrible, there is just way too much sand" - at that point they usually laugh or are confused. They don't understand what sanded in is, they just figure "Too much sand? It's the beach". That is usually enough to derail the conversation early on. I never dig targets with someone watching - I'll usually scoop to the side of it, and act like it must have been a false signal. Then I fill it in and know where to come back to when they move along. If they follow me, I move to the water. I've yet to have someone follow me so much I got mad, but I'm sure there will be a first time eventually.

People will try you. Put a nice quarter in your pocket. As soon as you pull a ring, drop it in your pocket. When they ask what you just dropped in your pocket pull out the quarter. I had one lady pick up a Tungsten ring i flipped out of the ground and walk off with it to her friends. Luckily it wasn't gold. All someone has to do is say a ring is theirs and call the cops and usually the cops make you hand it over. Don't ever find anything whether you do or not. Take any valuables to the vehicle asap and stash it. We have people try to describe lost jewelry that doesn't add up sometimes. If they can't remember if it was a ring or necklace they lost you will know you got a scammer trying you:lol:

lucky I hunt at night and don't really have to deal with people. In the event i do get the occasional "find anything" from a passer by i give them a "nope: and keep walking.

If I'm on the beach late at night and I do see someone coming obviously to talk to me I take out my E-cig, take a long drag so they can see the little orange tip light up and then smash the "lit end" into my face while emitting a long, low sigh of gratification.

No one talks to me.

If you decide to ask for a description (of a wedding ring, specifically) ask for the name or initials and date engraved in the ring. In my (admittedly limited) experience, most wedding bands include those two items.
GL & HH
Rich

Change, silver and junk goes into my pouch... gold goes into my secret pocket in my waders and if I am not wearing waders they go into my jeans... you never show any finds to anyone because you are asking for trouble.

People will try you. Put a nice quarter in your pocket. As soon as you pull a ring, drop it in your pocket. When they ask what you just dropped in your pocket pull out the quarter. I had one lady pick up a Tungsten ring i flipped out of the ground and walk off with it to her friends. Luckily it wasn't gold. All someone has to do is say a ring is theirs and call the cops and usually the cops make you hand it over. Don't ever find anything whether you do or not. Take any valuables to the vehicle asap and stash it. We have people try to describe lost jewelry that doesn't add up sometimes. If they can't remember if it was a ring or necklace they lost you will know you got a scammer trying you:lol:

Should of whacked her in the back of the head with your shovel!! Kidding, kidding...... :laughing:

If it's that rough where you hunt maybe you should look for a better spot. Always have a hidden spot to carry your better finds. Be careful putting things in your shorts or jean pockets, A lot of what you find came from them. Pockets hold a little air and will work there way inside out when in the water. Be a little inventive for a best finds pouch. On dry land i carry my Fiskars and my pin pointer in my left hand for all to see. Know what and who is around you and don't act excited about your finds in front of people. It sucks but it's the world we live in.

If anyone is around me i guard anything i dig up and put it away promptly. I have had people had me look for jewelry like earrings...... that im pretty certain they heard someone else had lost. I know Gold Digger had that happen with a ring as well. Do we get asked if we found a ring...... sometimes. I normally say no but id help them look if they can show me where it was lost.

Dew

easy to fix , carry a junker in your pocket , that way you can scream WOOT I FOUND GOLD ( you never know ) and anyone that ask show them the junker.

I got my first junker which looks about like a 2 carat engagement ring on my key chain. If I get excited about a find and someone ask to see it i show the junker to them. The way I see it , they will either want it and I give it to them they leave , or they dont because they can tell its fake and think I am a dummy and they leave. Win Win either way:p

Back
Top Bottom