What MD should I buy?

SilverNut

Hi Guys,

I want to get into the hobby. I have been researching precious metals a lot.

I live in central PA, lebanon area.

My main goal is silver, but I looked up my area online and it some areas close to me are known for gold as well.

Of course some old relics would be awesome as well.

I do not have a budget was looking at the MineLab e-spec and Whites V3i but if I can get a unit that will find gold and silver for less then for sure!

Or is it better to buy two cheaper machines, one for gold and one for silver?

Thanks for your help, can't wait to dive in!

Save your bucks and buy when you can afford a good all around machine. Tesoro makes good machines that are in the $200 range as is the Garrett ACE 250.

A Tesoro Vaquero will run you about $450 and is a good gold machine as well as a good coin machine. You can't beat the lifetime warranty and the build quality is first rate.

Dusty

Thanks Dusty, Now I am looking at all the Tesoro's, that one with the ID looks really cool too.

Wow, so many options!!

Oh that is so cool, I was wondering when they were going to release the picture of bin laden dead. Finally, hehehe.

BentFork, to clarify, when I say I have no budget that means I can spend whatever I want, (as long as I don't tell the wife!) So don't hold back because of a high cost.

When I do a new hobby I go all out. After all, what good is hunting if your skimming right over some good stuff?

BentFork, to clarify, when I say I have no budget that means I can spend whatever I want, (as long as I don't tell the wife!) So don't hold back because of a high cost.

When I do a new hobby I go all out. After all, what good is hunting if your skimming right over some good stuff?

Sounds like a true believer. Well in that case I'd suggest you look into the White's MXT. It is an excellent starter machine for someone who doesn't have a problem with spending a chunk of change. It is a turn-and-go machine that will give you superior performance. It doesn't have a long learning curve, there are lots of accessories that can be purchased for it, and it will give you numerous years of use. And it is a fantastic gold hunting machine. I bought one years ago and still use it today. Suggestion though - my personal opinion - refrain from purchasing the Super 12 in coil. It is heavy and there are very few situations it can be used in. The prime one being deep relic hunting. The 10 inch double D will do the same for relic hunting. White's would probably cut a deal for whatever search coil you prefer to purchase with it. They did for me years ago. And occasionally there is an MXT for sale here in the classifieds. :thumbsup:

The Whites MXT gets my vote. Research this machine and you will be convinced also.

Look in the classified section here now, there is a heck of a deal on one right now.

I would go for the white's V3i, it's a great all around machine. And the screen is amazing. It is a excellent detector.

The V3 and E-trac come with complicated learning curves. Anyone can master. However, more likely a newbie would be in over his/her head and give up the hobby. And, just as you could sit down in an F1 car and take it around the track, you would be incapable of driving it to it's potential. Same with these machines. You are more likely to miss targets due to inproperly operating/programing the machine than you would using a less complicated machine. And, missetting these high end machines is very easy to do.

As well, regarding the budget, more money doesn't necessarily buy you more detecting power. At $160 the Tesoro Compadre puts a lot of much more expensive detectors to shame. And, it's as simple as it gets. The MXT, Vaquero, as well as many other mid level machines will give you enough detecting power to attain your goal. Or, of course you can shell out $6000 for a dedicated gold prospecting machine.

SilverNut,

There is no way I can answer your question because I don't know what soil conditions you are dealing with in Pennsylvania. That can make a huge difference.

A detector that works great in Florida soil may perform poorly where you are.

I would suggest getting a couple of recommendations from a local dealer or your local metal detecting club and then come back for suggestions once you know what detector works best where you are.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom