Rings and Things.... Yesterday's Finds

Deadbatteries

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to hunt or post on this forum. I have been reading the other posts, and it looks like everyone is having a great year so far.

I spent roughly 4-5 hours out yesterday hitting elementary schools in my area and had some interesting finds.

The basic finds were:

38 - Quarters (clad)
40 - Dimes (clad)
21 - Nickels (jeffersons)
66 - Pennies (zinc-lincs)
Total: $15.21

The interesting finds were:

1 ? Large Jefferson Token (any ideas on what this is would be appreciated)
1 ? Silver pendent (.925)
1 ? African Coin (2001)
4 ? Rings
1 ? Lord of the Rings ?The Ring? (the second one I?ve found ? I?m cursed?"gollum..gollum")
1 ? Small silver ring
1 ? Ring with a ?$? on it
1 ? I?m not sure if it is a ring (it?s next to the Jefferson Coin), but it is silver. The hole is triangular.
2 ? Metal children?s hair clips (my daughter claimed those)
1 ? Key
1 ? Golf ball (I pass those on to a relative that golfs)

Any ideas on the Jefferson Medallion would be appreciated. The front says ?Jefferson National Expansion Memorial? and the back says ?Gateway to the West?Saint Louis?. Also, I am curious what the silver triangular jewelry/ring thing is.

Attachments

• dscf0003_117.jpg
    dscf0003_117.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 209
WHOA DUDE! You got yourself some awesome finds there. One question, what setting did you have to use for the golf ball :lol:

Hoser,

The golf ball was found using a very special device called a 6 year old. They can find any and every kind of item you can imagine (and sometimes sneak their trove into their bedroom without it being noticed for months). They are very expensive, do not come with a manual, periodically make lots of noise, and cause you to get gray hair sooner than you would have otherwise.

The question is not finding a golf ball, but what stuff was found that I still do not know about. ;)

Hello DB,
I'd say those batteries are anything BUT dead!!!
Great haul.
HH,
Bob
PS - - - That African coin has a definite golden glint to it, at least from my chair. Is that what I think it is??!! :shock:

Thanks all!

Bob - Nope, not gold. It's actually silver colored and says it's worth 5 Rand (whatever that is). The flash from my cheap, old digital camera makes stuff look better than it really is. :yes:

DB,
The large Jefferson token looks like a cereal box giveaway item (free inside), that I remember as a kid. This was a series of all of the presidents and I think it was General Mills. Time frame was about 1959 - 1962. I was between 9 and 12 years old and had "collected" about a half dozen of them. If it is the same series I am thinking of, the reverse side had a brief account of the particular President. Size if my memory is correct they were smaller than a $.50 and larger than a $.25, maybe stamped aluminum???? There was also a printed cardboard folder to display them in. Cheerios, Kix, Twinkles, Trix. and maybe Fruit Loops ????

Glad you're able to get out and hunt. I think I will have to learn the sounds of my MD all over again!!!! :grin:

Hey Deadbats, Did you look in the parking lot, maybe you can find the car that fits around that key! :D

:mad: I AM JEALOUS !!!! :mad:

No, I am not, I just envy jou. :P

Very good work, very nice loot ! 8)

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Bob,

Nothing here to be jealous about. It's actually been a slow year detecting for me so far. I've only been out a couple times in 2006 due to other projects going on at work, home, etc. I'm hoping to get out more this year and find some real silver (pre-1965 coins that is), but I've still got a wood floor to put down at home.

I never thought I would say it, but I had to wipe a bit of dust off the MD before I went out the last time. :(

The good news is that I've seen a lot of fresh mulch going down around the playgrounds in my area. That always means lots of quarters (and dimes, nickels and pennies) and an occasional saq dollar. :grin: I fully expect to start bringing in the cash over the next 3 months as it warms up.

Finally getting a chance to post to the forum again. I haven't had a chance for several months due to a job change this year and the additional travelling that it's required.

I've only been out MD'ing about 25% of the time that I did in 2005, and the number of finds have dropped dramatically. However, I do think that I've found as much gold as last year (several rings, etc.) and hope to do a bit more hunting between now and 2007.

This past weekend I took my oldest boy and hit a few schools (typically easy pickings for clad). We found approximately $19.50 in clad including $14.50 in quarters, $3.50 in dimes, $1.00 in nickels and $0.50 in pennies. We also found a silver earring and a gold women's necklace (14K). But the really cool find (for me anyway) was (believe it or not) my first silver US coin!! :grin: I don't even know which school I found it at as I didn't even know I had it until I went home and rolled up the change. I happen to notice that a dime just looked a bit different from the others. Closer inspection revealed a 1951 Roosevelt. That was special!!!

I would post a picture of the stuff, but it's been so long since I've been on this forum that everything's changed (looks nice too). I especially like the spell checker capabilities.

Oh yeah - I still haven't got the wood floor down (I have no excuse)!

That's one GREAT haul. My back hurts just looking at the pics. Looks like you definitely didn't forget how to use that Musketeer. CONGRATS!

Thanks!

Still using my Musketeer Advantage - works great! I actually have used it so much that I broke the plastic piece on the shaft that holds the control box. It just wore out, I guess. At some point, I'm planning on moving up to a more sophisticated MD and passing my Advantage to one of my kids.

By the way, the picture at the top is from earlier this year. Again, I need to learn this site again so I can post my new pictures.

Back
Top Bottom