Weekend of Pennies

z118

Forum Supporter
Made it out a few times this weekend (including Friday). This was the weekend of pennies. I managed only 125 coins total, but 95 of them were pennies! This is much worse than my average. Maybe someone is detecting before me and leaving me all the pennies.

On the plus side, I did find 4 more wheats (1911, 1937, 1942, & 1945). The 1911 is in rough shape, but it is my second oldest coin find.

I also got around to rolling all my clad pennies this weekend, and I found another wheat that I had missed earlier. It went through the whole salt & vinegar shaking in a jar cleaning process, so it is now extra shiny but I guess otherwise ruined. Oh well.

This puts my total at 25 wheats and one Indian Head now, AND STILL NO SILVER! Does anyone want to start a pool guessing how many wheats I will find before I find any kind of stinking dime or quarter from before 1965? I know I'll find one eventually, and it doesn't really bother me that I haven't yet, but I do think my current streak is pretty amazing.

At any rate, thanks for reading!

Those silver coins should start popping out soon. I've found a few of them, but I'm sitting here wondering when I'll find an Indian Head!

Good luck with your finds.

z118 said:
  Maybe someone is detecting before me and leaving me all the pennies.
I'm sure this is the case, Most of the detectorists in my area miss all the pennies and nickols(and the gold...lol) and get the dimes and up. I usually find stuff after others have been there except for dimes and quarters.

Nice going! You're complaining of finding 95 pennies and four of them are wheats? Well, I have dug up 853 pennies this year and only 3 of them were wheats. So, I will defintely trade you my wheat/penny percentage for yours! :yes:

FelixtheCat said:
Nice going!  You're complaining of finding 95 pennies and four of them are wheats?  Well, I have dug up 853 pennies this year and only 3 of them were wheats.  So, I will definitely trade you my wheat/penny percentage for yours! :yes: 

I'm not complaining, just marveling that I've found so many wheats and no silver. And also, I wonder about the fact that at a few parks I've been too I've found an inordinate percentage of pennies. Don't get me wrong, I'll dig up pennies all day long, and I'd always rather find pennies than nothing at all. Of course, I always feel a little better going home with a pocket full of change that includes a bunch of quarters too.

Actually, just for the heck of it, here are my total numbers thus far:

986 pennies (including 25 wheats and 1 indian head) 58.8%
94 nickels (1 from 1940) 5.7%
334 dimes 20.4%
219 quarters 13.4%
3 Sacajawea dollars .1%

Are other's percentages about equal to these?

Your ratio is about what I get except for nichols...It should be between dimes and quarters. You may be missing some gold items. You might try reducing your descrimination a little and see if the nichol count comes up.

Back
Top Bottom