An Unexpected Ride

Joetrikke

Saturday I got a three hour hunt in. I did not find much searching in the wet sand, a coin or two here and there mostly pull tabs. So the sea was around 1 foot or less so I headed out into the water. About waist to chest deep the bottom was firm with a few fist sized rocks so I started an east west grid moving north. Only found one pull tab and the bottom got soft again. So I weaved in and out a bit found another promising area, grid again nothing. So i decided no move in a bit and suddenly stepped off in to the abyss. Normally I would just turn around and walk back but the long-shore current was moving faster than I had noticed and I could not touch bottom at all. :shock: Okay not to panic, think for a moment... if this is a feeder of a rip heading out into deeper water I don't really want that ride. Start swimming towards shore, scoop and detector in one hand and swimming with the other hand. Not so easy. I swam for what seemed like 5 minutes could have been less, before I was able to touch bottom again. During that time started to think: well if I have to the scoop goes first and then if necessary the detector but it did not come to that. Started hunting again, really think I Davey Jones should have rewarded me with some gold after that but nope!

Be careful gentleman and happy hunting!

Glad you're safe. You probably did it, but didn't say it. When caught in a rip like that you DON'T swim to shore. You'll usually lose. You swim parallel to shore to get out of the rip current lane of attack. Rips usually aren't that wide across but are very strong so you want to get out of the way, not try to fight it.

Glad you're safe. You probably did it, but didn't say it. When caught in a rip like that you DON'T swim to shore. You'll usually lose. You swim parallel to shore to get out of the rip current lane of attack. Rips usually aren't that wide across but are very strong so you want to get out of the way, not try to fight it.

It was a long-shore current moving south to north I swam west.

Glad you saved your stuff especially your life! Swimming with one hand is hard, let alone holding equipment! First time we went to the beach my father told us was “if you get caught in a rip it can pull you out a few hundred yards. You swim parallel to the beach then swim in” Scared the sh!t out of me. I was 7 years old thinking !!! is a rip?!?! Be safe.

Glad to hear you're okay!
I have stepped in a huge hole in a reef that was covered by grass, walking along normal and then just dropped in, very scary moments!

5 minutes? I have been at it for at least 10-15 minutes a few times. I'm working offshore and the tide comes in and before I know it no more bottom. I get on my back and float/swim in. The Crocs that I wear help me float too. I have also tried extending the scoop to help push off the ocean bottom. The primary thing that you did that was great is that YOU DID NOT PANIC. :waytogo:

Do any of you water guys wear the co2 life jackets? I have thought about getting one for my river hunts, I've been swept off my feet a couple of times. It only scared me once and that was in 2 ft of water when I couldn't get back up or stopped until I hit slower water.

Saturday I got a three hour hunt in...
I was at Delray Beach on Friday. :cool3: Nothing from MD'g, but we stopped by the Sand Bar and the mgr picked up our tab! I'd say that was still a win!

Attachments

• Sandbar+Delray+Beach+11.jpg
    Sandbar+Delray+Beach+11.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom