Cheap batteries

X

Xray

Found this source of cheap rechargable batteries - 24 AA 2300 mAh high capacity NiMH for under $30 shipped. Also got 12 AAA for under $15.
http://tinyurl.com/pvufn for anyone looking to stock up.
Not sure how long this special will last.

Read this review of them on a forum:

"All 24 Tynergy cells have now been subjected to between 2 and 4 cycles of charge/discharge either in my Maha chargers or the LaCrosse. All cells measure better than 2040maH at 500ma (approx 0.25C) in the LaCrosse, which is good. Most cells measure around 2200 maH, which is excellent, as good as my 2300maH Energizers. Three cells required 4 cycles to get close to their full capability, and all required at least 2 cycles.

I measured the internal impedance at about 0.02 ohms (20milliohms) (plus/minus 0.01 ohms) with an AC milliohm-meter. This is a factor of 10 lower than a two year-old half-dead Powerex 2000maH which I used as a 'sanity check' to check my milliohm-meter was still working The value I measured is in line with the data sheet linked from my message above, and indicates that the cells should be able to handle very heavy peak loads.

Note: the data sheet shows these cells as losing 35% of their charge per month at room temperature. That is typical for nimh, and why you will find the crisper drawer in my refrigerator full of assorted Li-Ion and nimh cells, ready to grab and immediately put into service at a moment's notice "

Thanks to "trevmar"

I'm using 2500 energizers now but bookmarked the above site. Let us know how they hold up. Rob

I bought 24 packs of Duracell AA's for $3.00 a pack.. I bought 10 packs... Batteries+ was going out of business :) I'm set :)

Im using nickel metal hydrid rechargables....went im done with being sick i will take em out for a spin

Beware of some of the cheapo AA batteries, as they can leak. Don't leave them in your machine, if it isnt used for long periods.

In my Hawkeye, I've been using the rechargeable Alkaline (RAM) batteries. They give you the full 1.5v, rather than 1.2v, and don't suffer from a "memory effect"

1.2 vs. 1.5 volts does not matter. Voltage is a measurement of electrical pressure. Amperes is the amount of current. Todays detectors work on Millivolts and Micro Amps, through a step-down transformer within the microcircutry. That is why you get the amount of hours on a handfull of cells.

The starting voltage does matter as far as how long the detector can operate. My MXT has an internal voltage regulator. The detector runs on 8v and 8v only. My rechargeables full charge are 11v (8- AA's) and the alkalines are 12v. As the detector is used the voltage of the cells drops but the detector has a constant 8v source because of the regulator. As soon as it drops any below the 8v the detector stops. If you can start at 12v it takes longer to drop to 8v than if you start at 11v. My detector uses AA's if I were using C's or D's instead of AA's the voltage would be the same but the bigger cells have more capacity and would last longer. Rob

On the C-Scope R1, there is a menu option to select which type of batteries you are using, Alkaline or rechargeables, so it would seem to matter.

I can't answer why you have a switch Alan. I know Whites has been making detectors that run on Alkalines, Nicads, and now we have the NiMH. The detectors don't have a switch for changing between the alkalines and the factory rechargable pack. I quess Whites doesn't think there is a difference. Rob

Back
Top Bottom