California gold coin update

A cutting torch for melting purposes and the possibilities of large gold nuggets being found on their property increases many fold. AND Nobody's any the wiser!

A cutting torch for melting purposes and the possibilities of large gold nuggets being found on their property increases many fold. AND Nobody's any the wiser!

To bad they didnt think of that sooner. But then again. Hind sight is 20/20 and I'm sure they knew the value would be much more for the coins than just the gold value. :) Dreams becoming night mare's for them. Sucks any way ya slice it.

FROM :extrahappy:................................................................TO :crying:
The government want EVERYTHING!:dontthinkso:...

heard on the local news tonight that the US treasury said that the coins DID NOT come from the treasury heist in 1901:shock:

Yes was just reading on that Carcur. the way I interpreted it was they said there is no information that they have that shows these were the coins from the mint. My belief personally is either way they should be the finders unless there is something in recent history well documented that they were stolen. im not an expert but I actually think it was more likely something was fishy about these coins at one time than a miner saving them one by one for years and burying them there. As I had mentioned I didnt know the hoarding and large caches were as common during that time period as they were later on (1920s....30s)

The mint will have to prove that these coins in fact are the ones stolen. They will never be able to prove that. If these folks hire a good lawyer, then they will keep them. Simple as that.

Greg

frankly.... I'm disgusted... At the lot of you.

Were they stupid to publicize the find? Maybe, maybe not. But for everyone saying "keep your mouth shut and sell them one by one".... Excuse me... Those coins were stolen!

An i the *only* damn honest person left in this world?!

Were i to find something truly valuable, you bet your boots i would try to find the rightful owner! For every fabulous gold ring set with diamonds, there is an owner crying! For every splendid necklace dug up, there's someone who lost it! I thrill to the stories where people find and return class rings. To me that's part of the wonderfulness of our hobby... The chance to make it right when we can.

Have any of you ever lost something that was irreplaceable? I have! A silver and turquoise bracelet that belonged to my birthmother. She is long dead and that bracelet was about the only thing i had of hers.

Yes, there are some things that are simply impossible to return and yes, hang of to them and enjoy... But stolen gold coins? If they had hung onto them, disbursing them one at a time eventually they would have been caught! And the hassles and legal problems they would have would be monumental compared to the temporary joy of being "wealthy"

money money money!! Is that all this hobby is to some of you?! Feh! Disgusting. I hope the couple does get a finding fee and reward... And that they do get to do what they wanted to with that reward. I, for one, am heartened to see honest people around.

Feel free to flame me... I have my asbestos undies on.

Sagegrouse

WOW ! :what:

Last edited:
its finders keepers in my book...esp when its found on MY property, unless those coins were found in a bag marked "stolen from the mint" then prove otherwise there stolen.....I also don't find anything all year so I have nothing to declare at the end of the year for taxes;)

...If these folks hire a good lawyer, then they will keep them...
Greg

...and so will the lawyer! ;):D But, that is just the way things work these days. Some will go to lawyers, accounts, taxes, etc, but in the end they will still have more than they started with! :cool:

Gold coins worth $10 million that were discovered by a Northern California couple were not likely stolen in a 1901 U.S. Mint theft in San Francisco, an official said Tuesday.
“We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility,” U.S. Mint spokesman Adam Stump said in a statement, adding that lawyers have looked into the matter.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...-theft-20140304,0,3666293.story#ixzz2v7rK1S8e

Yeah, I thought this would go the route of the Black Swan gold
hoard. Spain took all the gold, 250 million dollars worth, then sued the finder for 1 millions dollars for lawyer's fees or some such !!!!. That was disgusting.

Well, I'm glad they can keep the coins. Sorry I got all huffy back there. I was coming down with stomach flu and I think the world was warped in my head.

Apologies all round. Sagegrouse was a self centered egotistical idiot and I apologize for hurting feelings with my rant. I'm feeling better fur spent a week drinking Ensure because nothing else would stay down. My bad.

SageGrouse
The Penitent

Back
Top Bottom