• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Broke the Fiskars finally

GillyWI

Elite Member
Bought them this year pretty early on, has been way better than the folding knife I used last year, the knife I felt obligated to clean it after each hunt, invariably it wouldn't fold down like it should due to dirt.
So i guess no real need to post a picture, looks like every picture I've ever seen of a broken Fiskars transplant tool.
Debating on replacing, repairing, or replacing with a Lesche. Everyone was right when they told me to get a PP, why do i doubt getting a Lesche?
My brother is like THE MAN when it comes to welding, so I could have it repaired. I think I saw a thread on reapiring a Fiskars, anyone know what thread I mean?
Gave me a nice little cut that bled like heck when I tried to use just the remaining blade of the Fiskars.

not sure which fiskars but IMHO,you can't beat the price and effectiveness for that price of a fiskars.

i'd like to see a picture of the broken fiskars.I will declare that you got your money's worth more than likely and that to break it,you were truly extreme during the final dig.

Am i correct? I carry a fiskars just in case but moved up to the small shovel from Lowes.

I use mine a lot. I dig in the woods with a shovel though and use the fiskars to saw roots. Works great! Lesche gives you a little cleaner plug and some leverage like a small shovel for prying up. This helps wreck coins sometimes though. The Fiskars are more like a dagger and the Lesche like a pie spatula(in a good way). They are both tough though in a fight I believe the Lesche would win. The Fiskars would go 12 rounds though. :)

All good comments, thanks much. I will keep that blue handled digger in mind, added to my "favorites" (Xmas coming and I never know what to ask for).
I filed a claim with fiskars, will see how it goes, but am hunting today and yeah for under $10 i will just pick one up, Farm and Fleet "can be" on my route to where I am going to hunt. I told fiskars I am going to replace it today and would they consider reimbursing me for the new one, or if they send me another one I can have it as a backup or put it under the seat of my truck, LOL. Yes I have thought of it as a defense weapon, I wouldn't want it pointing in my general direction, better than nothing. Especially with dirt caked on the tip, imagine the potential for a nasty infection, LOL.
pic

Attachments

• 000_3096.jpg
    000_3096.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 347
not sure which fiskars but IMHO,you can't beat the price and effectiveness for that price of a fiskars.

i'd like to see a picture of the broken fiskars.I will declare that you got your money's worth more than likely and that to break it,you were truly extreme during the final dig.

Am i correct? I carry a fiskars just in case but moved up to the small shovel from Lowes.

Pic above. I got it this spring, I won't deny I got my moneys worth. It has had a slight bent in the area where it broke for a few months, minimum.
I was using it as I had in the past. Specifically trying to wrench what I knew was a soda can out from about 4-5 inches down. So yeah not trying to trash the brand, it has been just a really nice thing to have for the price, in the past i was using a lockback knife (last year was my 1st year detecting).
Sometimes I wonder if i know darn well I have found a can, would it be better to just fill the hole in and not even dig it out? I know you don't dig something out and leave it lay around, but am I going was "over and above" the ethics code by continuing to dig it out? Maybe I'll start a thread on the subject.

Yep,that's about where they break every time.Just a thought but if you can't see spending the money on a Lesche check out the Wilcox diggers,I have 2 of them and they are a great digger.

Fiskar Reinforcing

For future reference, if you have access to a welder, cut off about 3/4" of the rubber handle material to expose the shaft just below the guard plate at the base of the digging section. I then had a friend reinforce the shaft to the guard with weld and also welded the side of the digging blade at the guard that is not welded at the factory. Just be aware that the heat of the weld will melt the plastic under the handle and care needs to be taken to keep it stable until it cools and solidifies again. I then covered the weld on the handle with a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around to fill the void. So far, so good.

I also personally didn't want the V notch at the tip of the blade so I had that filled with weld and put an edge on it with a grinder. Hope this is helpful.

Don

You have a picture so go online and make a warranty claim, (you need a photo of broken one) they will mail you a new one.

I have been using the fiskars for 3 months now.Its not a lesche.But it works fine for me.I also have some treasure wise tools which are realy great too.HH.

Hubby and I started out with the Fiskars diggers. Mine broke within the first 3 weeks, so I got a Lesche and Love it. He's still using his first one. I think some of them just have a bad weld on them.

Yep, actually I used the picture to file a claim first, then that one member (X#1) wanted to see it as well, so double-duty on the pic.
I went out today so just bought a new one, if they replace the broken one i will have a backup. Seriusly might keep it under the seat of my truck for lack of a better storage place, or i have a couple little folding bins in the back of my truck I keep tiedown straps in, would fit there too (as long as i rememeber where i put it, LOL).
Having this one break on me had me checking out new ones more carefully, I tried bending them at the point the blade and handle are connected (the break point by the guard) and you know, some seemed like they would flex a little, I found one I couldn't feel any flexing, so may be a good one.

fiskars..

I soaked my 'new' fiskars in hot water for 15minutes and then pried the handle right off. You'd be surprised to see it don't really go in full length of handle.. only maybe 1/2 if that., more like a third the length in. long story short- Cut the '+' off flush with guard, ground any weld off and welded a pipe handle on all the way around the circumference. I then slipped on a soft rubber bike hand grip. It is a great upgrade to assure it won't break. The rest of the knife seems pretty tough. I did this before it ever touched the ground.. since it was a consistent problem by what I have read. but- only if you have a welder as it's not feasible to pay out to have it welded.. then might as well order the leske.

Just because.....

It’s been a while sense my last post but, while I was cruising the Thing forums tonight I ran across this post and thought I’d tell my story. :roll:

I too purchased a Fiskers digging tool from Wally World. Who could pass up such a fine looking tool for $9.95? :D

It worked great for about three months and then I noticed it was starting to flex a little near the handle when I would really lean on it. No need to go into the rest of the story.

Pictured are the retrieval tools I have been using for quite a few years. My main digger, before the Fiskers, is a home brew outfit that I built some years ago out of 1/8” heat treated stainless steel. The Lesche style notches were added at a more recent date.:extrahappy:

The coin probe/coin popper is a modified weed digger. It originally with a swallow tail shaped end. Great little tool!!!:aok:

The folding saw I fabricated for cutting roots that were between me and deeply buried rusty old nails and galvanized canning lids. :madmad:

There is no intended message to this post other than my next digger when and if I should ever REALLY need one would most likely be a Lesche tool of a similar type.:waiting:

That wonderful instrument shown, the Garret Pro-Pointer, is just for size comparison.

HH

Attachments

• TH tools.jpg
    TH tools.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 255
Back
Top Bottom