Another wet Pro Pointer

CRC

I recently waterproofed my Pro Pointer EXACTLY like Beau shows in his video. I am the type to do everything overkill and I put a lot of plumber's putty and silcone over every weak spot. I went out on my first water hunt last saturday and halfway through it is started vibrating constantly underwater. At first, I thought it may be sensitive to the water. My boots then fell apart and I had to cut the hunt short. Been detecting on my land the past two days and the PP won't make a sound, but will vibrate. It will only sometimes detect metal and when it is right up against it. When I turn it off and back on, most of the time it stays on constantly until I put it near metal or turn it off. Replaced the battery, and it was doing the same. I unscrewed the battery cap and saw some water drops inside.....I started knocking it in my palm and some water came out from the battery compartment, so I guess it got wet in the river. Its in a bag of rice now.....hope this will dry it out!

I tried the bag of rice and the pointer detects better,but there is still no audio. Vibration works. Any other suggestions before I beg Garrett to cover it under warranty?

Iam sure garrett will cover it.I think you have done the best you can do.The speaker is probably damaged.

Mine got wet the first time out too. I used a heat gun and would blow warm air in it for about 5 minutes 4 or 5 times a day. On about day 4 it returned to normal. I watched Beau's video again and re-waterproofed it using 'Amazing Goop' not Silicone. Silicone is soft and peals up easily, while Amazing Goop is semi hard and does not peel up. It worked so well I did both of my pro pointers. Sometimes on land after a rainy spell, it is just muddy everywhere. Holes fill with water before I find my target and my pin pointer gets so muddy and wet, I'm worried it's going to fail. Not any more, because they are both water proof as my AT PRO detector. Works great.
John

I recently waterproofed my Pro Pointer EXACTLY like Beau shows in his video. I am the type to do everything overkill and I put a lot of plumber's putty and silcone over every weak spot. I went out on my first water hunt last saturday and halfway through it is started vibrating constantly underwater. At first, I thought it may be sensitive to the water. My boots then fell apart and I had to cut the hunt short. Been detecting on my land the past two days and the PP won't make a sound, but will vibrate. It will only sometimes detect metal and when it is right up against it. When I turn it off and back on, most of the time it stays on constantly until I put it near metal or turn it off. Replaced the battery, and it was doing the same. I unscrewed the battery cap and saw some water drops inside.....I started knocking it in my palm and some water came out from the battery compartment, so I guess it got wet in the river. Its in a bag of rice now.....hope this will dry it out!

Absolutely odd that I find this post in the exact same place I was going to post a similar problem with my Pro Pointer. I was digging in tall, wet grass in the middle of a park. My Pro Pointer, which I'd rather give up a hand than dig without, started losing its audio. I thought there was mud un the speaker so I cleaned it out on the wet grass and blew on it. The audio stopped working completely and the vibrator was really weak. I suspected a weak battery but the Pro Pointer has worked perfectly in the past and vibrated and beeped when the battery was weak. It was doing neither so I was rehearsing what I would tell Garrett to get a warranty replacement. Then I changed batteries and it did exacty the same thing (weak vibrate/no audio). I removed the new battery and broke out the little battery tester I bought from Harbor Freight last week, measured the battery I had just removed...it was weak. Then I measured the original battery, it was weak too. The 2nd battery was brand new with a expiration date of NOV 2022, but it was still too weak to power the Pro Pointer Correctly. So, I called the dig short, came home and got a known good battery from my stock. The Pro Pointer again has a healthy audio and a vibrate any owner would be proud of.:shock:

Mine got wet the first time out too. I used a heat gun and would blow warm air in it for about 5 minutes 4 or 5 times a day. On about day 4 it returned to normal. I watched Beau's video again and re-waterproofed it using 'Amazing Goop' not Silicone. Silicone is soft and peals up easily, while Amazing Goop is semi hard and does not peel up. It worked so well I did both of my pro pointers. Sometimes on land after a rainy spell, it is just muddy everywhere. Holes fill with water before I find my target and my pin pointer gets so muddy and wet, I'm worried it's going to fail. Not any more, because they are both water proof as my AT PRO detector. Works great.
John

That may have been the problem...I'll try the heat gun and if it works, will re-do it with Goop. Thanks!

Absolutely odd that I find this post in the exact same place I was going to post a similar problem with my Pro Pointer. I was digging in tall, wet grass in the middle of a park. My Pro Pointer, which I'd rather give up a hand than dig without, started losing its audio. I thought there was mud un the speaker so I cleaned it out on the wet grass and blew on it. The audio stopped working completely and the vibrator was really weak. I suspected a weak battery but the Pro Pointer has worked perfectly in the past and vibrated and beeped when the battery was weak. It was doing neither so I was rehearsing what I would tell Garrett to get a warranty replacement. Then I changed batteries and it did exacty the same thing (weak vibrate/no audio). I removed the new battery and broke out the little battery tester I bought from Harbor Freight last week, measured the battery I had just removed...it was weak. Then I measured the original battery, it was weak too. The 2nd battery was brand new with a expiration date of NOV 2022, but it was still too weak to power the Pro Pointer Correctly. So, I called the dig short, came home and got a known good battery from my stock. The Pro Pointer again has a healthy audio and a vibrate any owner would be proud of.:shock:

Another good possibility. I'll try another new battery. Thanks!

Be easier to just buy a vibraprobe for the water. Some of those guys are sponsored by Garrett. So they can't use anything else in a video. One of the sponsored guys I know has several propointers from the company. He can have two sent into Garrett at one time.

John

Thus is why I carry both the Propointer and Vibra Probe if I am going to be hunting water and Land such as creeks found this works a lot better for me yes I know some say the vibra probe is not as good as the PP because it only detects right at the tip which is why I like it sometimes the PP gives me fits and I have to stick it in the hole shut it off and then turn it back on to accuratly pinpoint a deep target

Does the VibraProbe have the depth of the Pro Pointer? Also, does anyone know if this company has good customer service?
I am considering this for a fresh water hunting pointer. Thanks!

Does the VibraProbe have the depth of the Pro Pointer? Also, does anyone know if this company has good customer service?

Might want to check on a vibra tector. They I think have a one year warranty. Using a propointer in the water won't ever last a year.

No but the way I look at it depth is not needed that is why they are called pinpointers . this has been debated over and over if you locate the metal object with the detector then why do you need depth with pinpointer ? It should be used to PINPOINT the Target at the exact location once the hole is dug! Now with all that being said which Is JMHO! when I use my old trusty 460 Vibra probe it works just find pinpointing within 1/2 inch of the target to make locating it a snap so Blast me all you want all ""you want to mod my Propointer for more Depth People"" I can take it 60 yrs old and Skin tough as my Vibra probe even though I do love my Pro Pointer for Land Use :laughing:

Got the Pro Pointer back from Garrett today. Looks like the replaced the speaker and recalibrated the board. Works great now. I'm impressed with their customer service. Returned it no questions asked. I will do business with them again.

That's great! Use 'Amazing GOOP' instead of Silicon and you should be good to go. I waterproofed both of my Pro Pointers. I can hunting the river, mud, wet grass and no problems.
John

Will do, though I might wait until next spring and just do some eyeball water hunting till then as I don't have an AT Pro yet....

if your interested in a vibra probe let me know, i'll let ya check mine out....
you'd be better off just waterproofing a propointer tho because when I had my AT pro the vibra probe would make the AT very very chatty as soon as I turned the probe on

Back
Top Bottom