Seeking advice here...

rlt9999

First let me say "Hello" to all that read here as I'm new to the site.

I'm planning to order my first MD tomorrow night and think that I have narrowed my choice down to 2 models that should suit my needs in the $300 price range. The models that I am interested in are the Fisher F2 that will come with an 8" and a 4" coil for $215 delivered or a Bounty Hunter Platinum with the 8" coil for $299 delivered. Both are similar in specs with minor differences such as one uses 1 9 volt battery & the other uses 2, one has adjustable ground balance while the other is automatic, one weighs 2 lbs. and the other is 2.25 lbs. Both have very good reviews on the site I was comparing them.

So if anyone would like to offer any advice to help me decide I'd greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,
Bob

Fisher f2 is all i have owned

I can't comment on the bounty hunter, Never had one but I chose the Fisher F-2 because the extra coils and acceseries are way cheaper than other model's of detectors. I really enjoy mine and it's simple to use, I got mine in the mail, Put it together, Walked outside and started finding coin's immediately. They have a package that comes with a 4'',8'', and pinpointer for $215.00, A package with 4'',8'',10'', and pinpointer for $275.00 are the package that only has the 11''DD for I believe is $299.00.

I bought the 4'' and 8'' package and bought the 11''DD extra for $130.00. I think if I had it to do all over I might have went with the 3 coil package, But everybody tell's me the 11''DD is better than the 10''.

Your going to get a lot of suggestion's and like mine they will mainly endorse the kind of detector they swing but there's a lot of us who have only swung one kind of detector

Unless you live in an area with some highly mineralized soil, the F2 all day long.
Spend $275 and get the 3 coil deal, the 10" is a slightly better coil than the 8" and goes a little deeper.
No matter what get some kind of package with the sniper coil because you won't believe what this thing can do at trashy sites and even sites that aren't so trashy.
There is no better value on the market if you consider what you get in these packages and how well it works when you get one.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=3023

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

If you have a large hand, the Bounty Hunter Platinum might be the way to go. The style of grip is more comfortable and I would suggest that it is built to a higher standard than the F2.

If you are looking for comparisons, the Bounty Hunter Platinum is similar to a Teknetics Gamma. It should be in the same class, performance-wise, as a Fisher F5 which is a step up over an F2.

You basically need to decide if you want a starter detector with a wide range of coils or an early mid-range model.

I think you are going in the right direction. There is a natural progression in metal detecting that you will outgrow your detector. The F2 will teach you how to coin shoot. I have found a lot of coins with that detector. I went to the F4 next then I thought I wanted a whites mxt pro. I finally settled on the minelab 705.

Metal detecting should be fun and you will have fun with the F2. When you learn how to detect you can go to a manual ground balance like the F4 or F5. By the time you are done with that machine you will know what machine you will need. Good luck and I hope this helped you.
Cliff

I'd like to thank everyone that has replied for their input and suggestions, I decided to go with the BH Platinum even though the majority of you recommended the F2. My decision was mainly influenced by Topdeckers post confirming my original thoughts comparing these two products.

Thanks again,
Bob

You will enjoy the BH, especially as your first MD. I have the Pioneer 505 and it is great. We just got home from the beach in San Diego and I was finding stuff in the sand regularly at 6" - 8" deep all day long. This was my first time taking it to the beach and I am hooked on it. Now, if I can just get a job there it would make the 10 hr. roundtrip drive go away...:yes:

On one of the beaches that I went to I was finding items like every 10 ft. and it really wore me out. My new Garrett PP was awesome. That is a must-have in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom