cleaning coins

brrttpaul

Hi all was reading in another topic that some of you use olive oil to clean coins etc still havnt had my md yet but waiting patiently by the way.When we were kids we used to clean coins with brown sauce(bit like cola )as it got them all shiney would i be right in thinking this would ruin the coins as its the acid that eats it if so what in your opinion would you use i have got a garrett 100 treasure ace but the sliding battery cover is missing but when it worked i did find some bits and bobs which i cleaned with brown sauce seemed ok im trying to get hold of a new cover for the garrett 100 so my wife can join me on my hunts but not having much joy anyway if you guys/gals have any tips i would appreciate it thanx
ps how do i put a pic on profile as it says max 9kb and mine are over

For common pennies I use a little gravel, dishwashing liquid and Kaboom and tumple for one to one and a half hour. For nickles, dimes quartes I use a little gravel, dishwashing liquid and CLR, calcium-lime and rust remover and tumble for the same amout of time. It works well.
For keeper coins I do little cleaning with anything that has potiental.

Therer's also an email link at the bottom of all your posts too, Epi-Hunter.

brown sauce a no no

Be carefull of brown sauce,ketchup and that sort of stuff,it takes the patina off the old coins.Patina is what preserves them so you dont want to do that.Just warm soapy water and a lot of time should do it.

coin cleaning,

As a coin collecor, the one persons comment about petina is correct, It devalues the coin by wiping the tarnish off of siver, for personal collection, where you just want to admire them I use mild sulfuric acid solution mixed with thiourea, its called E*z-est ,, it can be bought at any coin outlet,
Usse rubber glaves and vetilate well, In california, there is a warning that thiourea is a carcinogen, so use care, . :wow: I recommed just using vinegar and putting a paper towel piece on the botton so both sides getthe effect, it s a 5% acedic acid soluttion, and is pretty mild, leave a coin in for about 15-minutes and ususally they come out petty good, I also recommend an old toothbrush to get into lettering and grooves. Good cleaning is an art just like detecting, so good luck smg

Back
Top Bottom