• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting in MA State Parks-rules

mws_1984

Elite Member
I was curious if this was allowed so I emailed the Department of Conservation and Recreation and promptly got this answer within an hour or 2. Thought I would share it with you all.

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting DCR. To get permission to use a metal detector in one of our State Parks, you must contact the park supervisor for each individual park you are looking to metal detect in. They give permission to constituents who are interested. I have included the link to our Find a Park locator from DCR’s Website, which can help you find a park’s information. Please contact DCR with any future questions or concerns.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

Bill Hickey
DCR Community Relations

probably look up the park on the http site, then find an address, or look through the online records. Try calling the park main office and ask to speak to the supervisor. or try emailing the site email address.

pretty much the same rules for state parks here in PA, i just emailed whatever specific park i had interest in, some here in PA require a permit and others you can just hit at will, i then made a copy of the email to carry with me.

I was curious if this was allowed so I emailed the Department of Conservation and Recreation and promptly got this answer within an hour or 2. Thought I would share it with you all.

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting DCR. To get permission to use a metal detector in one of our State Parks, you must contact the park supervisor for each individual park you are looking to metal detect in. They give permission to constituents who are interested. I have included the link to our Find a Park locator from DCR’s Website, which can help you find a park’s information. Please contact DCR with any future questions or concerns.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

Bill Hickey

DCR Community Relations

thats helpfull. Thank you

Any updates on specific parks that it it is allowed or not allowed?

sand beaches in DCR parks

I think you might get some better answers if you go talk to the supervisor for each park, and get permission. Some supervisors might allow it while others might be against it.

I stick to city parks, or town run parks in the surrounding towns.

Although I'm not sure how you would get in touch with individual Park Supervisors.

You either have to call them, or go to the park office. There doesn't appear to be email addresses you can contact the specific park offices.

I got a permit to hunt Damon Pond/Willard Brook. It was pretty easy. I ran into the supervisor by chance while I was scoping the area out. He went back to the office, printed me out a permit, and that was that.

Metal Detectors a specifically banned from all parts of the Quabbin Watershed area - ie, no hunting the lost towns of Dana, etc.

Cool thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying Fort Taber in New Bedford. There is nothing on the website about it

You either have to call them, or go to the park office. There doesn't appear to be email addresses you can contact the specific park offices.

I got a permit to hunt Damon Pond/Willard Brook. It was pretty easy. I ran into the supervisor by chance while I was scoping the area out. He went back to the office, printed me out a permit, and that was that.

Hi BottleCapKing, what town are you from? I grew up in Leominster and live in Salem now. I've caught a ton of trout out of willard brook. Unfortunately I didn't start detecting till after I left. One of these days I'd like to get back out that way and do some detecting. Are you familiar with Fitchburg? Coggsall Park has old silver written all over it, though I'm not sure if its allowed there. When I was s kid there were so many catfish there you literally couldnt see the bottom.

Cool thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying Fort Taber in New Bedford. There is nothing on the website about it

I wouldn't recommend it. I tried contacting them thru the website and said it was under City jurisdiction or something and it wasn't allowed. This was after emailing someone at City Hall.

Hi BottleCapKing, what town are you from? I grew up in Leominster and live in Salem now. I've caught a ton of trout out of willard brook. Unfortunately I didn't start detecting till after I left. One of these days I'd like to get back out that way and do some detecting. Are you familiar with Fitchburg? Coggsall Park has old silver written all over it, though I'm not sure if its allowed there. When I was s kid there were so many catfish there you literally couldnt see the bottom.

I have Cogshall Park on my list of places to research. I have walked through it once. My guess is the best places to hunt are off the beaten path, as it were. Once the snow melts, I will be taking a more thorough walk through in the wooded sections looking for the best places to hunt. Sadly, the best places I think to hunt in Fitchburg are now pretty gang infested.

From the website:

"Fort Taber Park, with its buildings, fort and the lighthouse is wholly owned and operated by the City of New Bedford, under the management of the Board of Park Commissioners. Requests for permission to hold public events at city parks and park buildings must be submitted in writing, attention to the Director of Parks, at least eight weeks in advance of an event. For more information, contact the Parks Department: (508) 991-6295."

I see no where that states it is part of the National Historic Registry, designated a National Historic Site, or even under the auspices of the Historic Society. Honestly, unless there is something explicitly posted saying no Metal Detecting, I would give it a try. The worst they can do is ask you to leave.

From the website:

"Fort Taber Park, with its buildings, fort and the lighthouse is wholly owned and operated by the City of New Bedford, under the management of the Board of Park Commissioners. Requests for permission to hold public events at city parks and park buildings must be submitted in writing, attention to the Director of Parks, at least eight weeks in advance of an event. For more information, contact the Parks Department: (508) 991-6295."

I see no where that states it is part of the National Historic Registry, designated a National Historic Site, or even under the auspices of the Historic Society. Honestly, unless there is something explicitly posted saying no Metal Detecting, I would give it a try. The worst they can do is ask you to leave.

If anyone gives it a try, keep us posted how it turns out. I'm not sure anyone is really stationed there to keep an eye on things, but ya cross one wrong person ya never know. Plus it's New Bedford and that park is not really much around if you came across some undesirable people who wanted to hassle you.

From the website:

I think I will give a try there once I get my metal detector. It seems most websites for places in my area do not mention anything about metal detecting besides Buttonwood.

I think I will give a try there once I get my metal detector. It seems most websites for places in my area do not mention anything about metal detecting besides Buttonwood.

Are you even allowed to in Buttonwood? I have before and never came across anyone. Wonder if I was even allowed to be there, I went after the Whaling city festival, surprisingly nothing good. Got a few pieces of junk jewelry probably from a vendor, a few coins and also a propane tank adapter.

Well your state is like Arizona in that respect, that it is up to individual supervisors. Which can be good to some extent, bad if you have some one with the big fish in little pond respect. But it is much better than an out right ban.

Back
Top Bottom