This made my day....

Snowy

Forum Supporter
I had a bad day going and I was grumpy. It's Sunday and it's a crappy day. Detecting looks slim and I've gotta wait until Wednesday before I can go again. Wednesday's weather looks pretty cold. The housework was done and we couldn't go out all morning because of the rain.

The rain was adding fuel to my fire because it wouldn't stop, and the forecast called for dropping temperatures and high winds.

The rain stopped just before noon and the winds began to pick up. We couldn't get moving until a little after 1 PM and by then the wind was blowing at a decent clip. It didn't help my mood. Joe asked if I wanted to stay home and I grumbled.. "Let's just go."

I rode slouched down, arms folded and staring out the side window. We weren't going to have time to find anything.
We get to the field and both of us are missing our hooks for our shovels because I left them on the counter. Great.

I gear up and stomp across the field in the biting wind, grumpy as can be. I pick a spot and turn on. The MXT with its Eclipse 6X10DD coil and I are off. Iron signals everywhere.
Bouncing iffy signals everywhere. I decide to start digging some bounce/iffys and I land 2 pieces of metal chunks. Forget this. I'm going for solid signals because I knew I wasn't gonna be in the field long. I lift my head and walk to another spot.

I'm tooling along figuring I'm not gonna get anything and BAM .... solid soft signal. 50 cent, dollar.... 50 cent, dollar.... penny/dime ...
50cent, dollar.... penny/dime ... I determine it's a coin and check again... 50 cent, dollar .... over and over.
Now I'm figuring it's some kinda junk. Maybe something like a button.... My MXT says it's 8 inches down.
I check the VDI again... 89, 94 .. 89,94 ... drops once to 79 but holds pretty steady at 89 and 94 with an occassional 92.

So I dig the 6 inches my spade has to offer and flip the plug, clear the hole and check.
Still in there and still at 89, 94.. no bounces to anything else.
I dig deeper, clear it and check. Still there and still at 89, 94.
One more dig and there it is..... a Large Cent 8 inches down.

I smiled and hollered to Joe across the field. Poor guy prolly thought I was complaining because I was so grumpy today.
I held up my coin and he came over to see. He was happy for me, and I think more happy to see a smile on my face.

We stayed a little longer and came home because it was cold.
I snapped some pics of the large cent before cleaning it a bit (shown below).
I washed it with some water, gave it a quick hot peroxide bath and got the date... 1851.
It's in olive oil now.

The picture below was taken with some new contraption Joe set up for me.
I'm still not used to it.

Attachments

• LargeCent1851Uncleaned.jpg
    LargeCent1851Uncleaned.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Nice find for a bad weather day! Large cents are always welcomed in my house:spin: All it takes is a nice find and your whole day is worth it!! Just think if you stayed home, that cent may have been lost forever. HH

Thanks, guys. It was my only find of the day. The 2 metal chunks I knew were junk, and an overload signal (ya just gotta pull these out in a field like this because you KNOW it's not a soda can) was a chain

Lowjiber, it was almost swearing at me because I kept checking it. I expected it to tell me it was actually something else on closer examination. If it was able to reach around and kick me in the butt it prolly woulda!

It's nice to know the MXT pulled a really old copper into high coin range instead of tab. :yes:

Very nice Snowy, sometimes when we aren't in the best of shape detecting can make "cents"!! :lol:

Thanks for the story and the pics.

:cool:

Great find Snowy! Nice story too. I've always admired folks that have that kind of dedication. When I'm in a bad mood, I want to stay that way, dabnammit! Curt

Way to go Snowy...That looks to be in great condition too..Cant wait to see it cleaned up ...Congrats

Back
Top Bottom