1964 last silvers

JOFO17

I was curious as to how long it took after it was announced that 1964 would be the last year for silver coins for silvers to be hoarded out of circulation? Was it an almost instant reaction, or were there still plenty floating around in 1970? I'm asking because my house was built in 54 and has been in our family since 66 and I have found ZERO silver there.

I was curious as to how long it took after it was announced that 1964 would be the last year for silver coins for silvers to be hoarded out of circulation? Was it an almost instant reaction, or were there still plenty floating around in 1970? I'm asking because my house was built in 54 and has been in our family since 66 and I have found ZERO silver there.

They did go out of circulation quickly. I had a paper route in 1965-1968 and silver coins were not common but did get some which I, like many others, stashed away.
So between the Mint pulling them from circulation and people holding on to them not many around in 1970. However, there are still silver coins getting into circulation today (check the Coin Star find threads).

My house was built in 1961 and I have not found any coins older than 1980. Odd but true.

My grandparent's neighbors stockpiled silver coins as soon as they heard. They had literally hundreds of pounds of them.

BCD

My buddy works at 7/11 and he showed me his stash from this year. It consisted of 5 silver rosies, one silver washington and one silver Canadian quarter. Also a bunch of foreign coins. So they are absolutely still out there.

My grandpa CRHed in 1970-'80's and found giant hoards of walkers,'64 kens,benjis and tons of peace and morgan dollars as well. In my part of the country there were still quite a few in circulation.

My grandpa CRHed in 1970-'80's and found giant hoards of walkers,'64 kens,benjis and tons of peace and morgan dollars as well. In my part of the country there were still quite a few in circulation.

How did he CRH for Morgans and Peace dollars? Did the banks used to roll them with the Eisenhower dollars?

He would order Big dollars from the bank and got allot of them.

My Bro in Law, who does not give one diddly damn about silver...Acts like he dont know or care a bit about it...Well, His Mother worked at a bank, and back in the mid 60's, she paid face for 2 dusty canvas bags of silver dollars that were tucked away in the corner of the vault..just to get them out of the way..for to make room for the incoming Clad.

He still has them! I am trying my best to get my greedy dipskimmers on those sacks! I gotta play this fish right! I've known this guy since about '72...If he thinks I want them or am the slightest bit interested, he will not do a trade!...I have to play this easy... make him feel good about ripping me off... once again....

The dudes a gazillionaire...so its more for the Sport than anything, on both of our counts...He enjoys the Familial bragging rights of freaking me, like he has exhibited over the decades, and in this case, I want to let him do it!!...So the set up is there and might just work!

Maybe I can pull this off! His Vault is so stuffed, art, stocks, bonds, pictures...he needs somebody to move those heavy 50lb canvas sacks of silver dollars so he can make room for his Bitcoins?

Thats the deal..I'm just biding my time and playing this 1000lb Bluefin with @ 4lb test on a zebco 202...Or he is playing me...we wont know until we get at the boat...tough though with the internet Nowadays!...I gotta be careful he dont research coin values...keep him distracted, dont bring it up too often..

I gotta get him at a weak bragadocious moment, and have him do another 'Impulse Screw' of his Brother In Law with these bags of coins! Like a 'Jack and the Beanstalk' Pro Wrestling reverse Suflex!!'....

Like I said, this guy has more money than Jed Clampett, he dont give one diddly damn about old dusty bags of coins, plus he freaked me good my whole life! If Karma exists, he deserves it! He Married my Sister, Sold me that worn out Pinto, makes fun of me on account of I got kicked out of College and had to work for a living and now I metal detect...etc....:laughing:

He Likes to laugh and giggle at my expense, plus, he's a Democrat!..he does have a bad heart, could drop dead at any moment, so thats in my favor if I can set my drag right and stick the gaff to him........

Last edited:
I recall talking to a bank teller, at the largest bank in our town, in about 1980 when I was in high school. That was at a time when silver coins were worth 20x face value. And she alerted me that the bank was about to get a shipment of thousands and thousands of dollars of dimes & quarters (I guess the carnival/fair was getting ready to come to town or something). And she was telling me that she, and another bank worker, were going to stay late on their own time, & unroll all of them. To get any silver coins out and replace them with clad.

A day or two later, I bumped into her again, and asked "how did it go ? How much silver did you find ?". She said that after several hours, they had a single silver 1964 Roosie. An utter waste of time. Despite having through through a truck-load of coins.

So I would say that by mid 1965, it was probably already getting to be a rarity.

Those people who try to say that some are "still circulating today", are probably confusing the issue. If a silver dime shows up in change, or shows up in a coinstar, it probably WASN'T circulating for the past 54 yrs. continuously. It probably got re-entered into circulation, at some recent point in time. Eg.: someone finds it under a seat cushion or whatever, and simply isn't aware it's silver, so they put it back in circulation, or whatever.

So I would say that by mid 1965, it was probably already getting to be a rarity.

Those people who try to say that some are "still circulating today", are probably confusing the issue. If a silver dime shows up in change, or shows up in a coinstar, it probably WASN'T circulating for the past 54 yrs. continuously. It probably got re-entered into circulation, at some recent point in time. Eg.: someone finds it under a seat cushion or whatever, and simply isn't aware it's silver, so they put it back in circulation, or whatever.

True, 'Re-circulated' rather than 'in circulation' is a better term.

My Bro in Law, who does not give one diddly damn about silver...Acts like he dont know or care a bit about it...Well, His Mother worked at a bank, and back in the mid 60's, she paid face for 2 dusty canvas bags of silver dollars that were tucked away in the corner of the vault..just to get them out of the way..for to make room for the incoming Clad.

He still has them! I am trying my best to get my greedy dipskimmers on those sacks! I gotta play this fish right! I've known this guy since about '72...If he thinks I want them or am the slightest bit interested, he will not do a trade!...I have to play this easy... make him feel good about ripping me off... once again....

The dudes a gazillionaire...so its more for the Sport than anything, on both of our counts...He enjoys the Familial bragging rights of freaking me, like he has exhibited over the decades, and in this case, I want to let him do it!!...So the set up is there and might just work!

Maybe I can pull this off! His Vault is so stuffed, art, stocks, bonds, pictures...he needs somebody to move those heavy 50lb canvas sacks of silver dollars so he can make room for his Bitcoins?

Thats the deal..I'm just biding my time and playing this 1000lb Bluefin with @ 4lb test on a zebco 202...Or he is playing me...we wont know until we get at the boat...tough though with the internet Nowadays!...I gotta be careful he dont research coin values...keep him distracted, dont bring it up too often..

I gotta get him at a weak bragadocious moment, and have him do another 'Impulse Screw' of his Brother In Law with these bags of coins! Like a 'Jack and the Beanstalk' Pro Wrestling reverse Suflex!!'....

Like I said, this guy has more money than Jed Clampett, he dont give one diddly damn about old dusty bags of coins, plus he freaked me good my whole life! If Karma exists, he deserves it! He Married my Sister, Sold me that worn out Pinto, makes fun of me on account of I got kicked out of College and had to work for a living and now I metal detect...etc....:laughing:

He Likes to laugh and giggle at my expense, plus, he's a Democrat!..he does have a bad heart, could drop dead at any moment, so thats in my favor if I can set my drag right and stick the gaff to him........

Mud, you really have a way with words!
I wish I could sit and read your posts all day long, but alas, JOB...

Mud, you really have a way with words!
I wish I could sit and read your posts all day long, but alas, JOB...

x2

I am convinced that mud-puppy must be distantly blood related to Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, Erma Bombeck, Dave Barry, etc.... Great creative writing skill.

When I started up roll hunting again after a teen in the late 1970’s, it was around 2007 when I was hunting halves and had multiple bank accounts. My first week I found at least 50 or 60 silver, including an 1894 Barber half. It was crazy, some of the bank managers were ordering boxes and dumping the hundreds of 40% silver halves, keeping only the 90%. Some of the boxes were half-full of 40% silver halves. I was on roll-hunting forums and the finds others were making were just plain insane! Halves did not circulate and just piled up at the Fed reserve until the hunters started placing orders. Even many banks had reserves of halves in the vaults, I could road trip and hit up banks, spending several thousand in one day, searching, keeping silver and dumping clad. I miss those days, the find eventually fell off, and it took years to get that monkey off my back.

Keep in mind the buying power that those silver coins had. I remember my brother and I raking my grandparents lawn back in 1969. Grandma gave us each a silver dime from her stash working at the post office. My brother and I walked uptown and I swear we bought half a grocery sack of candy with that 20c :lol:. So, if anyone lost a quarter or 50 cent peice back in the 50’s or 60’s, you’d better believe they combed the yard looking for that coin!

x2

I am convinced that mud-puppy must be distantly blood related to Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, Erma Bombeck, Dave Barry, etc.... Great creative writing skill.

I find mud's writings to be more like Lewis Grizzard and Pat McManus. Always some humor hidden in there somewhere.

I was already collecting coins in 1964 and you could get all the silver dollars you wanted at the bank because they were glad to get rid of them. War nickels were the first coins that dealers were putting ads out for. They were paying $2.20 per roll. The silvers dried up rapidly at first but until 1971-72 you could still get a few. After that....Nothing !!! Nowadays though there are still a few silver coins floating around, maybe because many of todays folks have no idea what a silver coin is. My grandfather and me did a lot of coin roll hunting back in the late 1950's and early 1960's not for the purpose of finding a silver coin or two like nowadays, but to find scarce or rare dates which you could find back then. if I only had a "Time Machine"...………….. :iwish:

I know how you can get them...

Let it slip that you know this guy who would love them, but tell him that he'd better give you first crack at them, because your "friend" (named pryan67) wouldn't EVER let you have them no matter what, just to lord it over you.

Back
Top Bottom