Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 01-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View post
I would love something in between the 18" and 31". 31 is just a tad too long to carry without it catching up on my boots, but I LOVE how it cuts and digs. I think one about 28" would be perfect for me. Since I'm no welder, it would probably be cheaper to ask the manufacturer for a custom one than to pay someone to cut and re-weld mine.

I'd be happy to cut and weld it for you at no charge, but in all honesty with the price of shipping both ways you'd be better off to take it by a local welding or fab shop. It's only about a 15 minute job tops so I bet they wouldn't charge you more than $15 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Elite Member

I love my 31 Sampson. I don't really carry mine. I secured it to 18 helium filled balloons. Now, it just hovers there next to me. Got some on my detector as well. I own the only 18 gram CTX on the planet. The system isn't very good for staying discreet though. Thinking about ordering some balloons in cloud pattern.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

Question about the 31" Sampson with serrated edge.. Does it tear up the turf? Can I use this in a park without a problem? Just trying to compare the 31" without serrations and which one would be best as a more "Well Rounded" tool.

http://www.FirelandsDetecting.Weebly.Com

Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

No, the serrations don't tear up the turf, but they are kind of useless anyway. I would prefer the non-serrated blade. I can cut faster, cleaner plugs with my 31" long-handled hand digger (because it's not a shovel!) than I can with smaller digging tool.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

No it doesn't tear up the turf. The serrated edge will go right thru those small tree/shrub roots that are frequently present. Like someone said in another post, a pearl of wisdom, I quote, "it's a shovel". Don't make so much of it. Over analyzing "a shovel" I ask myself, what has this world come to.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Elite Member

I was just thinking about this subject in reverse. I'm thinking about getting a 31" Sampson. I have the 18" Mini Sampson and like it but wondered if it would be much easier digging with my foot standing. The reason I wanted the mini was its fairly discrete, light enough to carry a few hours and the best reasoning is: You have to drop to at least one knee anyway if your going to pinpoint and retrieve. Only thing the 31" would help is using the foot and it will cut a bit of time spent on the knees. But!!!! Now I'd have to carry the bigger digger around. I'm also a big NO shovel in parks guy and IMO the mini is.....well, its a mini digger still!
I'm seriously stuck on this. I just hate to waste 65$ for another digger and find out I was better off with my 18". Hmmm?
Then again I just bought another coil, the 10.5 DD 7.5 fq. And TDK wireless H phones getting upgraded for spring here in New Eng. So what's another 65.00? Again Hmmmm???

Old 02-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
I was just thinking about this subject in reverse. I'm thinking about getting a 31" Sampson. I have the 18" Mini Sampson and like it but wondered if it would be much easier digging with my foot standing. The reason I wanted the mini was its fairly discrete, light enough to carry a few hours and the best reasoning is: You have to drop to at least one knee anyway if your going to pinpoint and retrieve. Only thing the 31" would help is using the foot and it will cut a bit of time spent on the knees. But!!!! Now I'd have to carry the bigger digger around. I'm also a big NO shovel in parks guy and IMO the mini is.....well, its a mini digger still!

I'm seriously stuck on this. I just hate to waste 65$ for another digger and find out I was better off with my 18". Hmmm?

Then again I just bought another coil, the 10.5 DD 7.5 fq. And TDK wireless H phones getting upgraded for spring here in New Eng. So what's another 65.00? Again Hmmmm???

Now that I've tried both, I prefer the 18" version. The 31" is nice in that it allows you to use your foot to push it in the ground, but like you said, you'll most likely have to get on your knees to retrieve the target anyway... The 18" version is still pretty easy to get into the ground, looks much less intimidating, easier to carry, and moves just as much dirt. Glad I chopped mine down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk