Unsure on direction of new detector purchase

flipdog

Not really sure what direction that I'd like to go with a new detector purchase and thought I'd see what the thoughts are here.

Here are my choices:
Fisher F2 with 3 coils Really like how almost everyone loves this model. Is probably realistically all the detector that I'd need other than no manual GB. But every hobby that I get involved in I always end up upgrading in the future and always wanting the latest tech....kinda worried about spending 275 and in 6 months then purchasing one of the detectors listed below.

Garrett AT-Pro again everyone seems to love the machine....a little more than I wanted to spend...would like a back lit display

Mine Lab 305 or 505 These look to be great detectors as well, how much difference between the two models. I do know that the 305 will do 2 frequencies and the 505 3. Price wise the 305 looks great to me....but again worried about wanting to upgrade....Kinda thinking Mine Lab.....seems like the dark horse....

Some background on me:
Have a HF 9 function that I'm using now....works ok....other than pretty much 0 discrimination and feels like its going to break apart when swinging. Only detector that I've ever used. I am an IT manager by trade...so tech does not scare me....nor am I the type to not read the manual or do research...usually I do too much research. Heck I played with the HF detector for 8 to 10 hours learning its subtle nuances before going out to hunt. Would like to narrow the detectors down to one or two and then try and digest everything I can read to make an educated purchase.....that I won't want to upgrade in 2 months...lol

Will be hunting tot lots and sports fields and the woods mainly. I am located in SW PA. Will be hunting for coins, jewelry and relics. Not really any water involved....maybe 2' deep tops. Would like to take when going on vacation to the beaches...but wouldn't submerge the unit, maybe wet sand at the most.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

ml[1].gif 505 (or 705 if you can), and don't look back. Having 3 very different frequencies to choose from makes them far more flexible and tailorable to each task than anything else out there (on land).

The F2 is great little machine, but if you're at all tech-savy you'll want more before the end of summer. I keep one around to start newbs and loan out, but I hardly ever use it much anymore.

I strongly recommend the AT Pro. It got me a 7" dime that IDed correctly on every pass, great for my difficult ground. You might get a little discount below the $595 listed online, by calling or e-mailing a dealer.

If you can't afford that, Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 11" DD coil is $299. It seems to go fairly deep, & ID usually doesn't jump too much, according to many who have this detector.

A small flashlight using 1 or 2 AAs can read screen or shine on ground to spot the coin. Seems lights built into detectors raise the price

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. Best wishes, George (MN)

Thanks much for the thoughts guys.....guess I need to start to really look at the differences between the ML 505 and 705. Then compare the winner against the AT-Pro. I will also take a look at the Teknetics Eurotek Pro....just don't want to make the mistake of purchasing a $300 and then wanting an upgrade in 3 or 4 months...
Guess you have a point about the AAA flashlights!

Thanks again for the comments guys!

Thanks much for the thoughts guys.....guess I need to start to really look at the differences between the ML 505 and 705. Then compare the winner against the AT-Pro. I will also take a look at the Teknetics Eurotek Pro....just don't want to make the mistake of purchasing a $300 and then wanting an upgrade in 3 or 4 months...
Guess you have a point about the AAA flashlights!

Thanks again for the comments guys!

All good choices! You'll always want to upgrade down the road no matter what you own. Its also dependent on if you like ease of use or like to tweak settings. Lights kill batteries. If you don't need one don't use it. You gonna hunt at night you'll need a flashlight anyways. Go with something that has tone id if you are a night hunter. That screen light attracts visitors. The lights on my BHID attracts every wierdo or drunk on the beach at night,

If you got the bucks go as high as you can because we all get that itch to upgrade, eventually.
On the other hand, I never sell any detectors and use them all at different sites for different purposes.
They have all found me enough in clad and jewelry to buy just about any new detector I want...especially that F2.
After about a year in this hobby I vowed never to spend any money out of pocket for any new detectors or accessories ever again...I buy what I need from the money I make selling my finds and my clad.
An investment that pays for itself and more is an asset, and keep them in good shape and resale prices are great on the more popular ones so don't worry.

If you got the bucks go as high as you can because we all get that itch to upgrade, eventually.
On the other hand, I never sell any detectors and use them all at different sites for different purposes.
They have all found me enough in clad and jewelry to buy just about any new detector I want...especially that F2.
After about a year in this hobby I vowed never to spend any money out of pocket for any new detectors or accessories ever again...I buy what I need from the money I make selling my finds and my clad.
An investment that pays for itself and more is an asset, and keep them in good shape and resale prices are great on the more popular ones so don't worry.

Yes, this is my thought.....if I spend a little more now then I will be able to hold off the upgrading for longer.....and maybe not even feel the need to upgrade.
Your posts are the main reason that I started looking at the F2. Maybe your thought process is better than mine.....maybe a good starter detector and then use my clad findings for my upgrading.....I know the wife would think this would be a better idea...

Back to comparing the detectors....

Yes, this is my thought.....if I spend a little more now then I will be able to hold off the upgrading for longer.....and maybe not even feel the need to upgrade.
You will always get to a point where you wonder if more machine will yeild more goodies. Buying the best that you can to start will delay the inevitable, but that's a good thing, because future upgrades might conceivably involve thousands of dollars and you'll need time to recover that much.

Go with what you can afford. I bought a used DFX for $400. It bought my new BHID, which bought my new excal. ( Did take out a little advance:lol:)On one hunt i hit a $1200 diamond ring. ( wont ever sell for that much!:lol:)It's helping build up for my CTX or whatever comes out before i have enough. Maybe Whites, Minelab? Dunno? Right now i got enough to get the CTX but i need car parts instead. I already have 2 CTX's under my hood:lol: Just don't get discouraged. Some of us live in better spots for $. I made more in one week than a friend has made in 5 years. But he still has fun nickel and diming it! And that is what counts!:yes:

I second longhair in the 505 or 705 the main difference betweent the 705 and pretty much all other detectors in that price range is the ground tracking and noise cancelling feature. The tracking feature alone is worth the machine because you dont have to ground balance all the time because the machine will do it for you

Back
Top Bottom