Sovereign GT advice?

Stunmi

Elite Member
Shopping around for a (used) GT, is there anything I should look for as far as, I don't know, coils or options?

Seems that they don't stay on the market long before being swept up, and average price is 500-600?

Thanks in advance for any buying advice!

Make sure the coil wire is in good shape. Salt water degrades rubber. I apply silicone to my cables after a salty hunt.

Hey stunmi. I have a Sov GT and many coils. I got the GT new after researching its legendary performance and the number of available options. For me, I like each of my detectors to have a small, medium and large coil to cover any type of hunting. The stock 10" Tornado coil is superb. I have added a Sun-Ray S-5 small coil and the Ultimate 13" Butterfly by Detech as my large coil. Sun-Ray also makes an in-line probe and meter for the GT. GL and HH. Matt

Hey stunmi. I have a Sov GT and many coils. I got the GT new after researching its legendary performance and the number of available options. For me, I like each of my detectors to have a small, medium and large coil to cover any type of hunting. The stock 10" Tornado coil is superb. I have added a Sun-Ray S-5 small coil and the Ultimate 13" Butterfly by Detech as my large coil. Sun-Ray also makes an in-line probe and meter for the GT. GL and HH. Matt

Thank you Matt, although I was a bit dissapointed when the paragraph didn't end with 'that I want to sell' :grin:

Do you find the Sun Ray probe handy? What is the diff between using it and a Garrett PP?

Thank you Matt, although I was a bit dissapointed when the paragraph didn't end with 'that I want to sell' :grin:

Do you find the Sun Ray probe handy? What is the diff between using it and a Garrett PP?

I'd sell my wife before selling my GT :laughing:

Big difference. The S-1 probe utilizes the same tones, PP and disc/notch you have the GT set on whereas the Pro-Pointer utilizes All Metal only. My feelings are that both types of pointers have their pros and cons. It really comes down to preference. The two biggest complaints I've heard about in-line probes are the extra weight you need to swing and the extra cable hanging down that may get caught up in the woods. Pros include the ability to discriminate targets, the probe itself (not control box) is waterproof and is powered by GT battery. Garrett pros include good depth, lightweight, and no extra cables or weight on your detector. Cons include you must carry an extra 9v battery, not waterproof and sometimes has a mind of its own and needs to be shut off and back on to continue. This is just my opinion after using both and reading other posts. Hope this helps. GL and HH. Matt

Ive never lost an inline probe. Sometimes you also get chatter from a hand held thru the headphones... drove me nuts. Inline is just like a mini coil once switched on. You have to remember to switch it back off to.... cant tell you how many times ive walked around with the inline on not really detecting a thing on the ground. Gets such good depth on shallow coins you can just pop them out. Inlines arent cheap.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom