selling gold

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well lets see if you guys can enlighten me and others. It seems a lot of people feel they get cheated when selling gold ..... and some do and dont realize it. Heres a few things to consider when selling.....

Are they buying in pennyweight vs grams? most jewelers do. Pennyweight is 1 to 1.5 grams or DWT. So set your scales correctly.... because you are loosing weight.

Most also pay in troy ounces NOT ounces. There are 20 pennyweight to a troy ounce... where as there is 18.23 penny weight to an ounce..... and there are 28.35 grams to an ounce.

Other metals in the jewelry mater...... as does prongs, settings, springs in hasps. 14k means only 58.3 of that ring is gold...... and some of that maybe lost during smelting.

When it says $1500 per ounce...... remember that 1 troy ounce equals 1.097 ounces.

Unknown, fake, or plated gold......thats a real guess by us and it may end up none of its worth much..... or at least what we thought

You maybe asked do you want us to melt it by K or bulk? by K they offer less because they say it takes longer to test each. BUT.... if im correct that doesnt matter...... the end product is 24K which is weighed and you get paid for. However.....you can do the weight by K on a good scale...it’s a little more difficult if you allow a total weight melt....you may not realize you only got 12k.

I read an article on the CASH FOR GOLD place. The offer a good bit less..... why they make a profit only on the gold THEY melt by the way. Unlike jewelry stores and pawn shops dont attempt to resale. If they are really doing that and dont resale certain gold pieces they are pretty stupid..... or they think we are.

So its not as simple as putting it on the scale and thinking you got cheated without knowing their process. Any thing im missing?

Last edited:
Great info! Thanks Dew, I have been thinking about cashing in some gold for the first time ever so this is good to know. Fortunately I have a few friends that I hunt with that have the local tip so I should be good.

I did not know about pennyweight! Thanks for that.
I like to try to value gold purchases by using a price per gram chart. Of course I need to know weight in grams to do that. I can usually pull up a chart that shows price per gram of all the different alloy mix percentages. Traveling to Thailand for several years kinda changed the way I thought about gold and buying gold. Now I wont even consider less than 18k and no garbage white gold alloys please!
Here is a chart i found today, dont know how accurate it is. I hope it is ok to post here.

http://goldpricez.com/us/gram

Wish you the best of luck selling your gold.

Now based on what I just posted is he....lol. I realize it’s most about leaving with money in hand and both being ok with it. Just wanted to put it out there that some assume they are getting paid by the ounce or gram...but may not be and that could why there was an unexpected difference.

I've never had a problem getting a good % on gold... silver on the other hand. Need to find a person to buy rather than a refiner or institution. Spot price to a person. 70% or less to a refiner

I've never had a problem getting a good % on gold... silver on the other hand. Need to find a person to buy rather than a refiner or institution. Spot price to a person. 70% or less to a refiner
I've learned from experience that silver unless you stick with eagles is a real pain to deal with, sterling silver is pretty in jewelry and who doesn't like to see it coming out of the ground but think about it, 1 troy ounce of pure silver is approx., $17.00 what could 3-4-10 grams of sterling which is 92% silver possibly be worth. pawn shops from my experience won't even deal with it and if they do expect chump change. now name brand , tiffany or others is another story.

Well i can see why you dont want to send yours to a refinery Steve......most pay 85 to 95% spot here. BUT...... thats why i gave the various weights they use......90% can be figured differently...... and its you not them that gets the short end of the stick.:lol:

Great thread Dew! I think the most a guy should expect is fair. Trouble is fair is so subjective. I think knowing for detectorists it’s all found $ helps take the sting out when they hafta turn loose from the treasure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over here in Australia, I only sell as scrap gold if it is broken.
Otherwise say with rings I clean & polish them up nicely,photo and present them well with an honest description and sell them on.I personally use Facebook buy & sell Jewelry type groups to sell them,some often go for crazy prices , but I always get better than melt.
Anything with a stone in it always goes well ... the ladies just love bargains!

Well i can see why you dont want to send yours to a refinery Steve......most pay 85 to 95% spot here. BUT...... thats why i gave the various weights they use......90% can be figured differently...... and its you not them that gets the short end of the stick.:lol:

I deal with a cash for gold place that rip off most people.. because I am friends I get 90%... I'm happy with that as its found money... although I haven't really sold any gold to him recently... I hired a cleaning lady and she has been buying women's rimming from me way above melt but under retail... so far I have sold her 4 rings.. she keeps asking me when am I going hunting again :lol:

I deal with a cash for gold place that rip off most people.. because I am friends I get 90%... I'm happy with that as its found money... although I haven't really sold any gold to him recently... I hired a cleaning lady and she has been buying women's rimming from me way above melt but under retail... so far I have sold her 4 rings.. she keeps asking me when am I going hunting again :lol:

Are you sure she's not cleaning OUT your jewelry ?

I agree. It's all profit. And the people I sell to need to make a profit as well. I sell to replenish my detector stuff.

Most also pay in troy ounces NOT ounces. There are 20 pennyweight to a troy ounce... where as there is 18.23 penny weight to an ounce..... and there are 28.35 grams to an ounce.

Since "price of gold" is in troy ounces, this isn't all that sketchy.

It is amazing how precious metals have so many ways to describe weight.
I first found out about pennyweight when i wanted to know the value of a gold bracelet i found. After i did some research, he was offering me 33% of melt value.

Always better to buy a kilo , break it down , and sell it by the ounce ! Just saying...

Back
Top Bottom